CTV/TSN screws CFL

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=208530&hubname=nfl

Under terms of the deal, CTV secures the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights for the NFL regular season Sunday early afternoon game package (1 pm et), every NFL Playoff game, and for the first time ever, exclusive rights for the Super Bowl, the most watched single sporting event in North America. The deal covers the upcoming 2007, 2008 and 2009 NFL seasons and marks the beginning of a long-term relationship between Canada's #1 broadcaster and the NFL. In announcing the deal, CTV confirmed plans to deliver every NFL telecast in stunning High Definition. Financial details of the agreement were not disclosed.

The agreement delivers the first ever Super Bowl broadcast on CTV. In fact, it's the first broadcast deal ever reached between the NFL and CTV.

"CTV is committed to growing an exciting partnership with the National Football League, a brand synonymous to Canadians with excellence and leadership," said Brace. "The NFL and its crown jewel, the Super Bowl, represent a strategic fit for CTV and we look forward to delivering all the exhilaration beginning September, 2007."

"We are very pleased to extend our partnership with the CTV family as they have been terrific programmers for us for many years. As a result of this agreement, more fans in Canada than ever before will have access to all the excitement of NFL football on Sunday afternoons," said Charles White, NFL Vice-President of International Media.

Today's announcement delivers a new-look and potent lineup for CTV Sunday afternoons. And for the first time in Canada, the Super Bowl joins The Academy Awards on the same Network schedule. It's television's #1 ranked entertainment special together with the #1 sports event; all part of CTV's upcoming 2007-2008 schedule.

"Securing a strong appointment brand like the NFL is in keeping with our program strategy of generating continued upward momentum across the entire CTV schedule," said Susanne Boyce, CTV President of Programming and Chair of the CTV Media Group.

Brace confirmed that CTVglobemedia is committed to providing unmatched multi-platform exposure of its NFL slate through promotion inside CTV's #1 ranked lineup and throughout its family of networks and services, including cross-promotional support and coverage on TSN, Canada's most watched sports network, and The Globe and Mail, Canada's #1 national newspaper. CTV's NFL rights package perfectly complements the suite of NFL rights held by TSN. This Fall, TSN will continue to deliver NFL regular season games as part of its 42-game broadcast package, including exclusive Canadian coverage of Sunday and Monday Night Football and the Thursday/Saturday package.

CTV will officially welcome the NFL to its daytime and primetime schedule on June 4 when Network executives present the Fall 2007 lineup to the advertising community.

every CFL fan wanted ONE weekly broadcast on CTV when the new TV deal was announced...but CTV prez. said they want ALL sports on TSN and will NOT show the grey cup on CTV....

then they turn around and do this.

i KNEW it was a mistake signing that exclusive deal with TSN/ CTV

this just proves me correct when i said the Board of Clowns made a BIG mistake not listening to the CBC/Global tv offer, which was $20M per year....instead they took $16M and shot themselves in the foot signing with the shady CTV.

they give the american game National coverage but not the canadian game....makes me sick!...AND they control all CFL online content starting next year.... :oops:

Hey!
Lotsa people cheered when CBC was given the boot!

not me....i said that IF they choose not to go with CBC, they better get on CTV atleast once per week...
the CFL did neither.

I was one of them.

I think you are making more out of it than there really is. All the CFL games are being covered. So what if its TSN, The Womens network, Sporty's fantasy network. If you are a true fan you'll get it. For the viewer who wants to watch soap operas, and David Suzuki's sky is falling down, it wont matter where the Grey Cup or Super Bowl is.

We are making more out of it than it really is.

CBC broadcasts to about the same number of homes as CTV and their CFL ratings were about the same as TSN. So I don't see what the problem is with CTV not broadcasting the CFL?

The Super Bowl will not be on TSN, CTV only. The CFL hammered NFL Sunday last year head-to-head, and that's with TSN vs Global, which has about the same coverage as CTV.

The only real smack in the face is CTV bragging that all their NFL games will be in HDTV, while half of TSN's CFL games will be broadcast in low-def only. These two networks are owned by the same Canadian conglomerate. While this sucks and shows that the CFL is second best, we know why all their NFL games are in HDTV, because CTV can just flip the switch and count their money...while TSN must actually produce Canadian content from scratch...And being Canadian, we must accept our role as second best, and that HDTV stuff can get expensive! We only got one truck, and it's got a flat!! :expressionless:

There are only 2 things:

1. Money from the deal.

2.Amount of games being broadcast + accessibility of the station.

Now if the CBC/Global deal really was that much more(4M a year) then that is an issue.

However for the second bit, there is no real difference in the amount of homes reached and TSN tends to do a better broadcast, although both stations had issues regarding amount of pre-game and post game coverage along with mid-week coverage. CBC had the worst, it’s coverage away from game time was horrid, they only had 1 show I think all season away from a game time and that was Walby’s warriors show before the grey cup. 1 time.

But Money talks, and I would have liked the CFL to try and get more money out of the deal, if it was 20M from CBC, that means with 9 teams every team could get 2M + the league head office gets 2M, to cover costs like paying the refs and for the replay system.

However the deals are done and the CFL on TSN gets very good coverage, the only thing I would like garanteed is the CFL CAN NEVER get screwed and shall always been seen in live, from start to finish.

Add in, I would like 45 Min pre-games and atleast 15 min post game shows of all CFL games, atleast 2 pre-season games shown each year(of 4 different teams)

ANY pre-season game outside a CFL city(so in QBC, OTT, Maritimes, London) is also added.

Having the grey cup on CTV would be good, but bad too. I don’t like having the channel of shows changed, TSN is a good channel and I would rather see it there.

I’d rather the NFL games be on CTV so I can watch hockey or the CFL on TSN.

Of course the deal was a bad move. Anyone could've seen that. It's assinine to say that the real fans will watch it, even if they have to pay for it. That's not the point. Don't make them. The NFL has stayed where it is because it keeps the bulk of its TV package on the most widely available tier. By making a cable-only deal, the CFL confessed that it had no respect for itself. Is the Grey Cup a major sporting event? Is it practically a national holiday? Then it should be where every Canadian, not most Canadians, but every Canadian can watch it. Look at it this way; the NFL has four TV partners: FOX, CBS, NBC, and ESPN. Which of those four do you think pays the most for its piece? That's right, ESPN. And for that, they don't get a sniff of the playoffs, nevermind the Super Bowl.

The CFL better have an escape clause in this contract.

No big deal. it's all good.

This NFL deal is for Sunday 1pm games. The CFL only has three 1pm games this year.

TSN will broadcast many games during primetime when CTV will be broadcasting traditional network fare. What else would people watch on CTV on a Sunday afternoon?

TSN doesn’t broadcast games. It can’t. Only a broadcast network can broadcast games.

I was also one of a few who said the deal was not for the right dollars, way too low.
And now when you look at this from the angle that the Super Bore will be on the larger CTV network while our Grey Cup belongs there and will not be on.
It's almost like TSN is trying to keep the Grey Cup numbers down and below the Super Bore.
When we all know it's the other way around.
It's almost like the TSN(Toronto Wannabee Sports Network) is run by the likes of Paul Godfrey.

Not according to Wikipedia

From Wikipedia:
[i]Broadcasting is the distribution of audio and/or video signals which transmit programs to an audience.

There are wide variety of broadcasting systems, all of which have different capabilities. The largest broadcasting systems are institutional public address systems, which transmit nonverbal messages and music within a school or hospital, and low-powered broadcasting systems which transmit radio stations or television stations to a small area. National radio and television broadcasters have nationwide coverage, using retransmitter towers, satellite systems, and cable distribution

The term "broadcast network" is often used to distinguish networks that broadcast an over-the-air television signal that can be received using a television antenna from so-called networks that are broadcast only via cable or satellite television.[/i]

So, According to Wikipedia, while TSN may not be deemed to be a "broadcast network", it still does broadcasting.

Also, from Dictionary.com:
broad·cast
/?br?d?kæst, -?k?st/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[brawd-kast, -kahst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -cast or -cast·ed, -cast·ing, noun, adjective, adverb
–verb (used with object)

1. to transmit (programs) from a radio or television station.
  2. to speak, perform, sponsor, or present on a radio or television program: The President will broadcast his message on all stations tonight.
  3. to cast or scatter abroad over an area, as seed in sowing.
  4. to spread widely; disseminate: She broadcast the good news all over town.
  5. to indicate unwittingly to another (one's next action); telegraph: He broadcast his punch and the other man was able to parry it.
    –verb (used without object) 6. to transmit programs or signals from a radio or television station.
  6. to make something known widely; disseminate something.
  7. to speak, perform, sponsor, or present all or part of a radio or television program: The Boston Symphony Orchestra broadcasts every Saturday on our local station.
    –noun 9. something that is broadcast.
  8. a single radio or television program.
  9. the broadcasting of radio or television messages, speeches, etc.
  10. a single period of broadcasting.
  11. a method of sowing by scattering seed.
    –adjective 14. (of programs) transmitted from a radio or television station.
  12. of or pertaining to broadcasting.
  13. cast abroad or all over an area, as seed scattered widely.
    –adverb 17. so as to reach the greatest number of people by radio or television: The vital news was sent broadcast to inform the entire nation.
  14. so as to be cast abroad over an area: seed sown broadcast.

[Origin: 1760–70; orig., broad (adv.) + cast, ptp. of cast1]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

SO , does anybody know how many games will be missed, if any at all?
CTV is messin with some sacred sheets.

WTF.

Stupid CTV goes and trumpets their acquisition of the NFL, but can't be bothered to show CFL games?!?

The CTV/TSN deal would be fine, if CTV showed at least one CFL game a week. Like someone said, the CFL should be available to as many homes as possible. Those that don't get TSN shouldn't be left out in the cold.

This is especially true for the playoffs and Grey Cup.

'"CTV is committed to growing an exciting partnership with the National Football League, a brand synonymous to Canadians with excellence and leadership," said Brace.'

GMAFB. Why can't CTV - which does stand for Canadian TeleVision, I believe - say that for the CANADIAN Football League? A brand that is MORE synonymous to Canadians?

The NHL being on OLN in the States, for example, is a joke. Sure, it CAN be found by the 13 hockey fans down there. But it won't be found by anyone else - and the NHL gets no exposure. (Which is fine by me btw, since I would like to see the NHL go under.)

But it does strike me as very, very hypocritical if CTV can't broadcast a single CFL game, but has no problem showing NFL games.

Can we flood them with complaints somehow?

Huh? it's hard to get TSN? since when?
It's basic basic cable.

How many people that especially of the CFL's target audience don't have basic cable or a basic satalite package and still have a TV?

as of 2007 TSN was available in about 8.8 million of Canada's 13 million.
That is roughly 68% of canadian households.
For those in that 32% who can't see games, they can simply go to probably any bar nearby which should have the game.
**this is only of households, in no way does this mean CBC is in 13M of 13M, as it does not state if all 13M have TV's which they likely don't. There will be some Houses without TVs.(yes it's rare but it happens) Likely some people who are part of the 13M who can't get games is canada's northern Population, which no offence to them are not part of the CFL's markets.(the territories)

Do not forget a good reason why the CFL was pissed at CBC
CBC only showed 1 playoff game in every round in HD something that ticked off the CFL, especially when CBC had the ability to show both but would not put HD equipment out west for the western games.
CBC did however show most NHL games in HD. Which all the power to them for showing NHL games in HD but to not show CFL playoff games, that was not acceptable.

That point about "If you don't get TSN, you can just go to the bar and watch it" is exactly the problem.

People are inherently lazy ... if they don't get TSN, they're more likely to change the channel to something else (perhaps an NFL game on CTV, since they're in the mood for football) than get up and head to the bar.

The LARGE majority of people in this country are NOT hardcore CFL fans, like you and I.

Even if they did want to go to a bar to watch the game ... what if they're underage?? Kids today are, after all, those who will be supporting the CFL 10 to 20 years from now ...

underage go to a friends house?

Grey cup parties are normal across the country are they not?

no matter what deal the CFL went with they would only be available to all TV's without Cable/Satalite what.. 1 game a week?(the CBC deal would see most games moved to global.. god that would be horrible coverage atleast at the start)

I'm not sure how TSN isn't available in more households, but:
Seventy-five per cent use cable and 20 per cent have antennas. So far, only 5 per cent have gone over to satellite dishes. (1998)

in 1997 99% of households had 1 TV.

[url=http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/research_documents/statistics/television/tv_viewing_habits.cfm]http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/r ... habits.cfm[/url]

Isn't TSN a basic Cable program?

I'm wondering aren't most the people who don't have TSN older and thus out of the target audience? like 60+ non-CFL fans.

I'm thinking most(not all but most) under 40 or under 50 with kids have Basic Cable and thus TSN or don't even watch TV, they only have a TV basicly for movies.

Atleast for me, TSN is part of Basic Cable.

Now if I couldn't afford basic Cable there are options.
It's on the radio, Bars, Boston Pizza + many other locations, the internet.

I highly doubt the CFL's target audience can't afford cable, you should want people with expendable income who can afford to go to games, buy merchandise. no cable or internet not the best signs. might be people don't want/need that but will they want to watch the CFL then?

How many people in the Territories, north Manitoba, Northern Quebec watch the CFL and don't have TSN?

The Big Issue was CBC turned it's back on the CFL during the playoffs and tried to fix it by throwing a little bit of extra money, the CFL showed it's loyalty to TSN who has always seem to do its best to get CFL games on air, they made a mistake once and it seems now have a plan to make sure the CFL is the number one TSN show until after the grey cup.(although there are questions of what happens when both the NFL and CFL are going at the same time, removal of sunday games CFL games after mid september until the playoffs would work)

Money is the key problem of the deal, CFL should have been able to get some more, but this Deal is almost if not double the old deal so that is a huge improvement.

Nope!
At least not in Montreal it isn't!

not here either...basic cable gets u to channel 28 ( fox )...u gotta get the next cable package to get channel 30 ( tsn )

[b]No big deal. it's all good.

This NFL deal is for Sunday 1pm games. The CFL only has three 1pm games this year.

TSN will broadcast many games during primetime when CTV will be broadcasting traditional network fare. What else would people watch on CTV on a Sunday afternoon?[/b]

Exactly, snoozer topic for me. We have the no. 1 sports network in Canada with exclusive rights for CFL games, holy crap, what more do you want? CBC? Don't need it. CTV? Who cares. On TSN, we are talking about narrow casting where the people that tune in are sports fans more than viewers watching CBC or CTV and advertisers like that are more willing to committ to their products there. TSN has a vested interested in promoting the CFL whereas with CBC, the CFL was an afterthought really, they only really care about the NHL which makes them money so they aren't going to pump it like a private network that needs to pump it. I also don't need someone with bunny ears just tuning into CFL games for a free ride, no way, you should pay for it, this league doesn't need to give games away to people who don't care. The NHL can do this, fine, they really couldn't break the tradition of HNIC for a lot of reasons, but as I say, the CBC doesn't give a rats arse about the CFL IMHO.

I also like the parent company doing NFL games, shows the whole company is going after football, another plus. And I guarantee you CTV won't be doing what Global did with their advertising with slogans like "where the best come to play".