Crossover question

SIMPLE???

What you propose is a logistical nightmare as well as constant fights over both inequality of schedule + loss of gates

10 Team league with dual 5 Team divisions
5 Team division (using west as example since alr have 5 teams)

I will pick the Stamps since I am partial to them
12 games in division vs 4 opposing teams means 3 games each

So Calgary hosts Edmonton
Edmonton hosts Calgary
Calgary hosts Edmonton

Start the screaming now about how Edm had a worse schedule, esp if Calgary edges out Edm for last playoff spot

Even worse vs opposing division
6 games vs 5 teams

Calgary gets to play Ottawa twice (home game guaranteed)
Edmonton plays Ottawa once

Assuming 10 teams you need to play 4 games (16 total) in division which leaves only 2 against other division (again inequality but nowhere near as severe as what you proposed as “simple”)

Otherwise 2 games (home & home) against every team in the league (18 total) which is far more fair but which vastly decreases divisional rivalry, increases travel costs, and really makes divisions in the CFL entirely pointless

That’s about what it looks like, although you could still have some semblance of east vs. West the other way.still.

What about the year ottawa had 5 wins, and made it to the grey cup. That should never have happened, that shows the poor set up, rewarding a team who gears up in the last 6 games of the season to make a splash. That was not right.

I think you’re argument for the easier path last season makes sense. But then again, the East didn’t win the Grey Cup last year.

not at all the two best teams in 9 team league with one team in the east always teetering on folding to make it 8 teams again… We should more often than not see the two best teams out of all be in the final not a watered down east getting a some what mediocre east champ in thereon many years. often the 4th place team in the west has a better record than the 2nd place team. It does not matter that 1st place East team wins the final on occasion the east is by far not as good most years…one division will cure that situation

What???

Plain & simple
The last 10 Grey Cups were, 7 won by Western teams, 3 won won by Eastern teams

BC over Wpg - designated East (spit) as Ottawa doesn’t have a team.
Tor over Cgy
Sask over Ham
Cgy over Ham
Edm over Ott
Ott over Cgy
Tor over Cgy
Cgy over Ott
Wpg over Ham
Wpg over Ham

As far as Winnipeg was pretending to be an Eastern team, you’re off your rocker. No one in Winnipeg wanted that. It was because of the failure of the East’s ability to support teams, Winnipeg was forced to play as an Eastern (spit) team.

To be clear I never considered Winnipeg as an Eastern ( spit) team, even when they were an Eastern (spit) team.

A decade is 10, Montreal isn’t in that group.

I disagree. I think most people couldn’t care less about East West in the Grey Cup. Especially amoung those in the demographic the CFL is trying to attract.

I think most care far more about seeing the best teams and players compete for the championship, which produces the best product.

2 Likes

I think you kind of missing the point of my response.

10 teams with 18 games gives you options of going to a 12 & 6 format preserving divisional rivalries like they did from 1961 to 1980.

The first year of the fully interlocking schedule in 1981 resulted in the East being totally exposed as being weak.

As for being fair, from 1961 to 1973 the West played 16 games while the East played 14 games.

Even the playoffs were different for the conferences.

The East won 8 of the Grey Cups in that time format.

Were they (West) complaining about fairness then?

For a time the NFC was considered the best conference ad they won 13 straight Super Bowls. (1984-85 to 1996-97)

The NFC championship was considered the defacto Super Bowls.

Relevant how?

Unless you consider the West Final to be the de facto Grey Cup. (Many do)

At that time, scores were communicated by telegraph. Times have changed and market tastes have changed with them. Time for the league to catch up

I was saying it goes in cycles.

1 Like

OH SURE it’s easy to point to the fact that Western Teams have won more Grey Cups than Eastern Teams over the last 10 years…

That’s about it. Got nothin’ else to add. Carry on.

When has the CFL East ever had a good cycle?

If the standard is cycling between “bad” and “worse”, then I think its time to make some changes. Even if the changes don’t work for some, they still won’t be worse than the current legacy situation.

The games were still played on the field and I sure televisions were available.

In any format we are throwing out there a sub 500 team will still make the playoffs and have a shot at the Grey Cup.

Seattle got in the Super Bowl tournament with a 7-9 record and hosted a playoff round but that’s okay because the NFL can do no wrong and we’re crying about 8-10 teams winning the Grey Cup (2 times)

As for casual fans, they want what the NFL has which is not possible as Canada doesn’t have the population.

Yes, but the sub-500 team making the championship game should be the exception, not the norm. The CFL system is currently flawed.

This is not an NFL comparison. If anything, I’d prefer to emulate the British Premier League… 30 teams, one table. Playoffs decided by season record seeding alone.

Those who want a guaranteed East West championship in Canada are pursuing a system much closer to the NFLs NFC vs AFC format.

On laundry day.

2 Likes

All of England fits in one time zone.

You’re asking (not yourself personally) the CFL to go to a single division format.

If that’s the case then all games should be on one day to make it fair as possible (not 9 straight hours of CFL on TSN , noooo!!!:scream:)

Try selling that to the CFL and TSN.

Might be laughed out of the building :office:

Wow, that’s a leap. How did you even manage to get there? (Unless its a deliberate and desperate deflection?)

Where and in what universe did I (or anyone) advocate for a single game day schedule? And moreover, why would such an idea be relevant to a single division any more than a multi-division format?

Sorry, if there’s a thought process there, I can’t follow it.

I don’t believe you were necessary advocating for a single day games.

Just saying without a new tv deal the single division won’t be at the forefront. Also having 4 time zones might stop the single division from appearing.

Having all games on one day can ensure fairness in terms of competitiveness and preparation as football is a game of structure and routine.

They can tweak the playoff format by having 2 division winners and the next 4 teams based on record.

Still you might get a sub-500 team in the playoffs but they will earn the Grey Cup by winning on the road unless they happen to host the championship that particular year.

1 Like