Crossover guaranteed?

Unless Edmonton, currently 8 & 6 for last place in the West drops all four of their remaining games (wich doesn't seem likely), the third place East team will be beat out of the playoffs regardless of weather it's Hamilton or Toronto

http://cfl.ca/standings/2008/reg

Toronto can hope for no better then and 8 & 10 record, wich would only tie Edmonton's current standing.

Hamilton, after yesterdays desplay could finish strong at a miraculous 7 & 10 and like toronto, only if they go undefeated for the balance of the season.

However, Edmonton with only a single win would trump both of those records with a dead even .500 season at 9 & 9.

This poster would have to conclude that the crossover in the 2008 CFL post-season is prety much a guarantee.

The only question remaining seems to be, can Edmonton win on the road? Thier 2-3 away record will have to improve if they hope to take on Winnipeg, then Montreal on thier own turf come November.

Yeah it's pretty much guaranteed, the crapshoot is WHICH east team will take second.

If the 4th place western team has a better record than the 2nd place eastern team, shouldn't the eastern semi-final be crossed-over and played in the west?

That would be nice to see, but it ain't going to happen.

People seem to assume it's going to be Edmonton crossing over. With 4 games left and only 2 points separating 1st and last, it could be any Western team at this point.

Unfortunately, we're still a bit behind the 8-ball compared to the rest of the West. Had we not dropped the easily winnable road games in TO and WPG in the summer and a couple weekends ago respectively, we'd be right on top of the standings....

And we have a tough schedule ahead of us, playing BC twice! :frowning:

There is no tie-breaker for the cross-over. Any cross-over team requires more points than the 3rd place team in the other division. So if Edmonton and Toronto both finish 8-10, Toronto is in the playoffs.

well. dont know if I agree or not.. but I have a friend who is hoping it will be Edmonton crossing over because he thinks they are the team to beat Montreal and make it a West/West Grey Cup... I dont happen to agree, but what do I know... lol...

Just keep that field watered down and you will steal a couple more games at home. :wink:

There is no tie-breaker for the cross-over. Any cross-over team requires more points than the 3rd place team in the other division. So if Edmonton and Toronto both finish 8-10, Toronto is in the playoffs

I think what he's saying is that Edmonton would have to lose at least 1 and Toronto would have to win all thier remaining teams in order for it to be a tie... which, he feels, is unlikely.

Any win by Edmonton or loss by Toronto guarantees a crossover.

The race for 2nd in the east remains. Hamilton threw their hat back in the ring in a big way this weekend.

I meant remaining games.. not teams... sheesshhkkk.

I don't know anything about a watered down field, but now that its October, it could very easily be a snow-covered field anytime now.

but that wouldn't be to fair to whoever finishes 3rd in the Western Conference.

Just think of the scenario....the 4th place team in the west gets a HOME playoff game against a team with a record below .500

The 3rd place team in the west gets an AWAY playoff game against a very good team with a record well above .500

lol teams would be fighting over the 4th spot in the west.

Precisely - couldn't agree more. The "stronger" division should just be thankful that there is a crossover at all. I wouldn't mess with either the fact that the stronger division's 4th place team has to have more points or the fact that it is a home game for the 2nd place team of the weaker division regardless of their record vis a vis the stronger division's 4th place team.

Some would argue that they should be anyways :lol: