Decisions, Decisions
Questions about futures of Creehan,
Printers need to be addressed

October 30, 2008
Steve Milton
The Hamilton Spectator

click here

Steve says

Bellefeuille said yesterday he wants to decide upon his co-ordinators and assistants by the 2nd week in December.

But, if he and O'Billovich aren't already convinced D.C.
Denny Creehan is entering his final weekend as a Cat,

they're the only ones in the country who aren't.

If the team does decide to pass on keeping Denny Creehan.

I would love it if Marcel tells Obie that he wants Kavis Reed.

I favour a CFL experienced co-ordinator who is teaching oriented
and keen to work with young players over veteran Rich Stubler

Steve says

The only two current pivots who will definitely be in training camp are Quinton Porter, who has become the starter, and No. 4 Adam Tafralis.

Richie Williams, productive as he's been
in spot duty, isn't guaranteed a 2009 invitation.

I say bring Richie back and Casey, too, unless some team
wants to offer us good value in a trade for one of them.

You are out of your mind if you want Kavis Reed back. His defenses got zero pressure on the QB, just like Creehan's. The main difference is that Reed had a few sackmasters on his D-Line, while Creehan does not.

8) Also as stated in that article, Obie now seems to be hedging on his original statement of a week ago that both Printers and Porter will fight it out in training camp for the starting job !!!
  Not a heck of a lot of credibility again from Obie, referring back to his original statement regarding that Charlies job was safe till the end of the year, then canning him 2 weeks later  !!!!!!       <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> 

Obie would be better off not saying anything anymore regarding the future of anyone associated with this team until it actually happens  !!!!      <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->

I may be out of my mind but I can recognize a good teacher
and I observed Kavis at practice here for 2 years, you didn't.

All I want is a DC who will not give qb's presnap reads ie have the players constantly moving around and faking blitz's, not showing blitz's before the snap etc.. That was our biggest problem and the reason for no pressure, the qb could read the defence for10 seconds before each play then throw quickly to the open area, and it didn't help that we seemed to run the exact same plays over and over each week. Every time on second down you knew we were going 3-4 with a middle linebacker blitz with vanilla zone coverages, 99% of the time that's what we ran, also Creehan likes to have his players run his scheme like a bunch of robots which is why they were in the wrong spots on most plays, right spot in the defensive system, but wrong spot to make a play.

No way will I spend one cent on this team if Denny is back.

Isn't Reed still with the blue team?

There is turmoil in 'tranna.'

A big purge is coming Cap'n.

Cats are the CFL media's favourite punching bag these days but the Argo front office and it's relationship with coaches is an absolute mess even Pinball is getting testy and defensive.
Cats will have considerably more stability and a stronger core than the Argos heading into the off season.

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=254127&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_cfl]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=254127& ... dlines_cfl[/url]

And considering this article came from a credible writer that doesn't have a hate on for everyone making over 100k, it really raises some interesting questions about whats going to take place in the offseason.

I want to make a few points about what
you are saying about Creehan, Drexl

I am not advocating that we keep him.

Creehan didn't get results we wanted
so he is rightly under serious revue.

If the Defence is moving around pre-snap, Drexl,
it makes it harder for the QB to make his reads.

He has to keep changing his reads.

and it didn't help that we seemed to run
the exact same plays over and over each week.

Every time on second down you knew we were going 3-4
with a middle linebacker blitz with vanilla zone coverages,

99% of the time that's what we ran,

Maybe you broke down and studied what Creehan's did,
I don't know, but with Cornelious Anthony as a combo. DE/LB

it was possible to disguised whether
we were in a 4-3 or a 3-4 Defence

because Anthony could set up in one position
and switch to another during the play.

also Creehan likes to have his players run his scheme
like a bunch of robots which is why they were in

the wrong spots on most plays, right spot in the
defensive system, but wrong spot to make a play.

No way will I spend one cent on this team if Denny is back.

As a new coach here with young players, I, too,
would insist my players play within my system.

The percentages of them having success goes up.

Apparently you noticed more times
when their instincts were better.

I don't know, you may be right.

true enough, and i sat through a lot of those practices with you.
however, kavis was unable to make adjustments at half time, and teams invariably pulled away from us in the second half of games.
yes, kavis is a good teacher, he was able to present a good scheme going into each game, but he couldn't do the job in the room at the half, and that's an important part of the job.

Hopefully, Kavis has learned a lot regarding half time adjustments
since his first job as Defensive Co-ordinator in Hamilton, ticatguy.

I would definitely throw his name in the hat if we are hiring a D.C.

Totally agree. You are seeing that same poor coaching in Toronto with Reed now.

Hiring him would be a step backward. Who else is a "good teacher" who we should re-hire? Jerome Erdman?

This team needs coaches who get results.