Crazy Ideas

Okay, by no means am I suggesting nor hoping Durant will be out an extended period, but I was chatting with someone today and we kid of had an interesting chat.

Let's say DD does get 6 gamed or worse...you have an extra 200-240 grand ish to play with...what do you do? For argument sake, lets say his replacement's salary (new 3rd string actually) gets 80k/year...so about 35K for the remainder...we will call it 180k to play with.

There is of course the idea of bringing in some big name rentals...but where?

• DL? nope, looks good
  • OL? looks pretty good
  • Secondary? fairly solid
  • LB? maybe...probably not...but maybe
  • RB? probably not
  • WR? Dressler + Getz (when healthy) + Bagg + Swain + we hope smith...knock on wood...would have to be a darned good pickup at this point.

So what about a little fancy paper work? Contract extensions with large signing bonuses. You want to sign Chick for 180k...lets make that 150/year for 3 years plus a 70k signing bonus. Dressler...you want 240/year...why don't we go 200/yr for 4 years plus 100K up front.

Lol well I think your getting a bit a head of yourself all right. Not sure if that would be on the up and up anyways. I wouldn’t go so far as to say there isn’t some positions that could be shored up a bit though. Not a 100% sold on our db’s as they did get burned on a couple yesterday but they are not terrible either.
Not even thinking about having the money available anyways as I’m going to be optimistic for once and say Durant will be back after the Ottawa game. Even if he is healthy I would sit him for that game and get Sunseri more reps, plus give Durant more time to heal.

First thing I would do is give little Tristan a raise. He's been playing his *ss off ever since the Riders brought him back.

Well I for one have been told I'm crazy! Let's first see what the prognosis is on Durant, and how bad his injury really is. And once the Riders determine how much salary they will save, let the crazy talk begin! Lol :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree about getting creative for signing those 2 guys back. And cash up front is a good incentive! Especially with a good investment advisor!

yeah…and like I said…it is not getting ahead of ones self…it is basically a different thread that ponders what one would do with an instant 200k that became available…kinda like using that extra 99,999.99 available before tier 2 kicks in.

First thing I would do is make sure Sunseri is locked up for at least 2 more years. He is going to get a half a season of grooming now will probably develop into a bonafide starter by seasons end and you can bet that the Ottawas and B.C.'s will have their grubby little hands all over him when he becomes F.A. eligible. Sick of grooming all these Q.B.s for other teams to raid.

WELL, WE WILL PRETTY MUCH NEED TO BRING IN ANOTHER BACKUP QB… ASSUMING WE DON’T GO AFTER ANY NAMES, THAT SHOULD BE CHEAP ENOUGH…

I LIKE THE IDEA OF TRYING TO LOCK IN SOME OF OUR MAJOR PIECES. I WILL ADMIT, I HAVEN’T BEEN PAYING VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THINGS THIS YEAR :oops: … HAVEN’T HEARD OF ANY F.A. PLAYERS THAT I WOULD BE TOOOO INTERESTED IN.

WE COULD PROBLY GET DA BACK FOR CHEAP THOUGH :rockin: :twisted:

Well is there any good qb cuts from the NFL? looks like were going to need someone to fill in.

I've read Keith Price maybe coming our way!!
Sounds like a great QB but no CFL experience!!

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/quarterback-price-to-sign-with-roughriders/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/qu ... ughriders/[/url]

Well...they don't have to be a FA to rework contracts now.

But...Chick, Bagg, Dressler, Heenan, Jackso...a few off the top of my head./

Keith Price is the guy that Taman mentioned in the presser.
Doege not a likely candidate to have to play should Sunseri have to miss even a game. Developmental at best at this point.
Healthy CFL veteran experience on the street? There really is no one. McPherson would have been in Calgary if not still injured and at 30 plus this could be the end for him if he is not healthy by now.
Brink and Elliot are both under a contract at this time. Not the best options of course but with the top Oline, the top Running game, and the return of the top receiver game experience with some success on a terrible team and situation to a great team and a great situation every where else just knowing defenses and experience facing them could make such a QB servicable.
Although Sunseri also still a bit raw but a year and half in also makes for a very servicable.
Now if there was still a RB issue, Dressler did not come back, and the Oline was hobbled there could be more of an issue but frankly all are running at all cylinders mid season form.

I would seriously call Kerry Joseph up before calling either of those boys.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

I like it, long term thinking. Msame as what to do with extra money once Simon Was not signed. Lock up Dressler now.

any money saved in Simon is safely spent on re-signing / extending DD, Foley, and a few other little moves.

How's this for crazy talk????

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/09/09/durant-injury-could-trigger-burris-to-riders-trade]http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/09/09/d ... ders-trade[/url]

Wow! Would Saskatchewan welcome Hank back with open arms?

God.... I hope not, henry is washed up he gets big passing yards, but can't finish when it counts, why do you think Austin let him go!!

Hmmmm.... It has been well documentated and there has been lots of discussion on Durant being a game manager. And unfortunately now that Doubles is hurt, the discussion is that the Riders should be OK with Tino... He just needs to manage the game and not make mistakes.
Why not Burris? Realistically, all he needs to do is manage the game. And he does have far more CFL experience than Sunseri. Does Henry need to be the guy to "finish"? He seems to choke when the pressure is all on him. Right now the Riders are designed nicely for no pressure on the QB to force things. The only pressure is to execute a patient game plan...

I for one would not favor the trade for the following reasons:
One - the whole purpose of this thread is to take the salary savings from DD, and lock up key pieces like Chick, TJack, Dressler, etc... To stabilize the future of the franchise.
Two - Burris is long in the tooth. At his age and if DD comes back next season, he becomes a "rental" player.
Three - I am excited to see what Tino can do. Sad that it is at the expense of DD, but this is the opportunity to see what he can bring to the table.

But what is the price you pay for winning now? Do the Riders try a run at Grey Cup with a rookie QB? Calgary is....
It would have been nice to have played a Calgary or Edmonton now to see where the team stacks up.. Just to see if there are holes that need to be filled...

It's a hard call. Win today at all costs or try to win today with what you have, secure key pieces, and take a run again next year with your leader back?

I for one would secure the key pieces for long term, and keep the core of the current team together as long as possible

Bo Levi Mitchell is in his 3rd year and has been taking #2 reps essentially the whole time, #1 now. That is a big difference. Don't get me wrong, I would see what Sunseri could do before trading away the future. Henry would STILL get the Henry chants at the games...which would be really funny. He would be fine to pick up, so long as he is willing to modify his contract and doesn't cost more than say a 3rd or 4th round pick and someone like Schilens or Riley (who they presently can't trade I don't think).

I can’t see it in all honesty. Hank has been terrible this year and no it isn’t all to do with being with a new team. His throws have been off the mark by a mile. I say lets see what happens with Tino before we go into panic mode. If they even consider getting him Ottawa would probably want far more then he’s worth and they would want players with experience so that means we give them one of the pieces we all ready have in place? Not likely.

Yes we have a shot at winning this year but we can’t sell of the future for a quick fix and besides I’m not convinced Burris would be a fix of anything besides having experience.