COVID-19: Sports re-opening already not working?

Well this is awful news, but I am finding it difficult to get the real story not only because the story this last week was protests worldwide and riots in the US.

So far I heard of a soccer team, not sure if it was in Spain or in Germany, that had a few cases show up asymptomatic after a match or training.

And then this morning it comes out that two players at Alabama already got the symptoms after some practices.

If anybody has specifics or other examples please advise.

There is more to it such that the present plans and measures to re-open won't work.

You cannot have a season of play when there are some random rotation byes for teams in quarantine and so forth.

Uh-oh.

The experiment is afoot in Europe principally in Spain, Germany, and Italy this weekend or week.

In Australia National Rugby League, an awful version of the original game in my opinion and deathly boring, is at hand.

The unspoken truth given the numbers is that after this restart, the chance remains at hand for more cases to break out and then what? :hushed:

For all the scrutiny of France not re-opening for sports is this awful stat and the worst in the world of the nations hit with 100K cases or more - 1 in 5 are dying in France and even of those who recover, there is some permanent damage unlike after the regular old flu.

And in the US it is not working merely in training and practice, but we shall see what comes out of recent soccer restarts in Europe and in England.

Well re-opening of sport has worked everywhere in Europe as well as in Australia and in New Zealand with a few exceptions like France, which elected not to re-open.

There is a better way.

1 Like

All eyes now are on MLB then the NBA this week down here in the US.

Well last I heard Miami Marlins have about 17 people who have tested positive and baseball is not even a high contact sport. Without a vaccine certain sports like hockey and football will not likely be successful in returning. Once entire teams get infected the leagues will sadly have to shut down. :disappointed:

2 Likes

MLS seems to be managing well in a bubble protocol in Florida. The NBA is near by under similar conditions at the same complex.

1 Like

Now Toronto/Hamilton region has the lowest virus rate of any city in Canada, only 4 new cases reported. Time to change the hub city?

Are you suggesting NHL Edmonton or NBA Orlando relocate?

In any event, the issue for MLB, as it will be for the NFL, is that the players are not isolated and are traveling all over the country to play games ... other than idiots breaking the bubbles the NBA and NHL should manage fairly well.

2 Likes

Well there's a big difference between Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, on the one hand, and the USA on the other.

The first three have, to varying degrees, handled the pandemic fairly well.

The same cannot be said for the USA.

I'd provide a further explanation but that would veer into a once-again banned topic.

2 Likes

We haven't had a locked thread in 5 days now! :rofl: :lock:

Some members are conspicuous by their absence.

Something you won't here me say
"I really miss people ranting and infighting about Politics and Racism on this site" :no_entry_sign:

1 Like

Anybody else feel like sometimes we all should just go out to the parking lot, have a free-for-all shoving match (screaming your political opinion is optional but no punches or kicks please), get all that anxiety out, and then when the last few men are standing or we are out if breath, all go back into the bar for the next refreshing strong round of drinks and carry on with sports banter.

Now 3 teams in baseball have infections. Let's hold onto our hats for the NHL and the NBA.

As I mentioned before there is a difference between MLB’s return plan and other leagues:

2 Likes

Well after the Big 10 and Pac 12 canceled (though they claim postponed to the spring), the other 3 Power conferences plus the Sun Belt conference intend to play college football this fall.

There is some talk that rebel teams from the above conferences may join one of the other conferences for play this season, which is what Notre Dame is doing with the ACC.

Well MLB sure is on thin ice.

They ought to declare this simply an exhibition season now given all the missed games that will not and cannot be made up.

The Reds were the 4th team affected earlier this week with cancelled games.

The Mets in MLB had some cases with the virus, so that is now 5 teams affected directly this season.

The Yankees-Mets series has been cancelled.

When you examine the standings, it is getting messy.

Most teams have played between 24 and 28 games.

A few have played less and as little as 15.

There's only so much time to make up games.

The ice is cracking.

1 Like

Well at the University of Alabama alone, amidst the high spread in that state in the top 10 already, there have been over 1000 new cases since about 18 August.

That's only one school. Wait until they play football as fans who are not going to stay in their rooms party it up socially without masks and so forth.

It's a really dumb crowd down there amidst the top faculty and graduate students.

1 Like

I heard that Ohio State had a breakout because of frosh parties several days ago. Then the Big Ten wants to have a season in the Fall playing in domed stadiums. Bad idea when the pandemic cases are will have a second wave along with flu season. It sad that the coaches don't put the kids ahead of their salary grade. The kids' safety and health should have priority over everything

1 Like

I believe the Big 10 and Pac 12 are playing in the spring.

1 Like