Council of Geezers

I was reading a post in another thread (BLM rap) where the poster highlighted certain aspects of programs, articles etc used in the distant past to promote players and the league. Then it hit me, the league fan base, especially bums in the seats at live games, consists to a large degree of us old timers that predate the Internet, cell phones etc.
The kicker is we remember the methods the league used to successfully promote both the players and the league. Those methods can easily be adopted to today’s social media and ditigal world.
I am confident the geezer committee will have the skill set, time and knowledge to help the league sell itself to the younger demographic the league (and by extension sponsors) desperately needs to survive and thrive.
Who’s up for the challenge.
Randy I appreciate your vision of cfl 2.0. Having said that use your out of the box thinking to pick the brains of the cfl faithful while we are still kicking around.
? Thank you for allowng me the privilege to rant lol

Randy believes a rolling stone gathers no moss. :slight_smile:

I hear Mick is doing OK !

Mick and the boys are ready to roll . ;D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/GLIMMERBOY/GLIMMERBOY009/CHICAGO%201981%2001_zpsjdgouz0o.jpg~original

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlQh310UYAAreEq.jpg

Tell it to The Judge:

The world has changed since we began watching the CFL. Whatever aspects have remained constant are the ones that continue to invite and engage us. Old Boys’ Club? You betcha.

Now, what works yet that used to work to sell football and “put bums in the seats”?

Pretty girls.

Obviously, according to attendance figures, the greatest number of pretty girls are found at Saskatchewan Roughrider games, the fewest in Toronto.

So, how do we get more pretty girls out to Argos games? I dare say, what Pinball used to have doesn’t work any more, if it ever did. What attracts pretty women? Darned if I really know, but I think that the older a man gets, the more an inescapable truth prevails:

Women are drawn to money.

So, then, who represents money these days in Toronto? Kyle Lowry and the Raptors. What do they have that the Argos lack? What is it that keeps the Raptors in the money - and the pretty girls - and keeps the Argos number one on the CFL’s list of “homeliest” fans?

Next to the almighty dollar, what draws a woman out to watch? The answer, odd though it may sound, is family.

If men want sex, sex, sex, and women want money and family, it is a combination of these considerations that will restore popularity to CFL football in Toronto.

Somebody straighten me out on this, like a goalpost ribbon flapping in a galeforce wind.

Peter Boyle, CFL Geezer,

I don’t think that they ever were the actual attraction at football games but I do think there’s some truth to the following Football Girls

What made me and my 2 brothers fans back in the 50’s was what they called the Quarterback Club. It was the entire north end zone bleacher seats at Empire Stadium. You got a season ticket to the Lions plus a real cool sew on patch, not some cheap pos for 5$ as I remember. They were the worst seats in the house but we didn’t care. It was a night out under the stars or rain, the bright lights and green field. What it also was, was the cheapest babysitting in town. My parents had season tickets in seats they say the could always see us from with the binoculars. From this I’ve been a fan forever. I like to say I had my first season ticket in 1958. Players lasted with one team for a long time, that was also important. They would do appearances in our neighbourhoods sometimes. That was important to us. Joe Kapp might be at the local Stongs market selling peanut butter. Or By Bailey might be at the downtown Woodwards. They sold seat for very little that would never be used anyway and got a lot of future fans in them.

Wicked youtube: “you’ve got to be a football hero to get along with the beautiful girls.” Amen.

Munsey’s article rings of romance, as well: nights under the stars and the eyes of the parents, when football players were heroes to emulate and marvel at.

And just what does it mean, anymore, to comprehend the equivalent to a “real, cool patch”?

Well written piece of nostalgia. Reading Munsey 20’s piece, you can see the Vancouver sky at night, and feel and smell the rain in B.C.

A beautiful recollection, well told.

For me, it’s selling programs at Lansdowne to make a dime per sale, and free admission. But that’s another story.

Thanks for the posts everyone, well written with great suggestions. Keep them coming.
Hope Randy is paying attention.

Thanks, Judge.

Constant roster players- fans need heroes

More home grown boys- lots of people will go if they know someone who is playing

Pride in our game- it’s the best football game on the planet

Maybe a bit of good marketing- they need to push it out there

No escape clauses- you either play or not. when you contract is up, you can leave

Longer term contract agreements.

Who among us can work on one year deals?

Two years and an option, possibly more.

Longterm stability for players. Let players buy homes in city neighbourhoods. Get to know the guy living next to you, who plays for the Calgary Stampeders, or whatever.

Let communities come to know players as people, and let communities come out and support these guys on game day.

Question: “Why do you like Brad Sinopoli so much?”

Answer: “He shovels my snow and our kids go to school together.”

And, he’s awesome.

FYI to all of you old codgers, the league is reading these. :slight_smile:

Tell 'em I’m looking for work.

Again thank you for the posts, suggestions and comments! I hope the league is taking note.
I too would love for the league to appoint a geezer committee. We are worth our weight in depends…ah er I mean gold.

On a more serious note, the ideas here reflect our experience of involvement with the CFL over many decades. The ideas cost nickels but will bring in the dollars.
Some of what I remember, players visiting the schools, open practices, community involvement in team functions, having youngsters perform odd jobs with the individual clubs, the league office providing internships, opportunities at the CFL hall of fame. There is so much that can be done at minimal cost to promote the league to a new generation. Given my decades long love of the league (visited almost every stadium including US teams) my legal background, sports business background and past acting experience, I would love to become head geezer.? Thanks again,without the many thoughtful and serious contributions this thread would have died a quick death.

and…
:slight_smile:

Toronto is the real issue. We look at Toronto Argonauts home games and see bad attendance. The games themselves are fine; the acoustics are marvelous at BMO and the product on the field and by the game day events staff are fine.

So, why the empty seats?

Probably, it’s uncool in Toronto to watch the Argonauts. Uncool.

Imagine you’re driving down the highway on your way somewhere, and you hear on the radio a long lost favourite song. Like, say, “Tempted by the fruit of another”, by Squeeze. However, the frequency is bad, and the static distorts the clarity. Desperately, you try to tune in the music, but you’re moving so fast, and the reception so poor, that you are out of range before the song is done, and you are left frustrated and even,angry.

This is what it’s like, professional football in Toronto. It’s an old song, a timeless classic, an evocation ofbittersweet memories and people. The game, like the song, is fabulous.

But the pace of life in Toronto, and the conflicting channels of media vying for our attention, drown out this beautiful song, and relegate it to a dusty warehouse full of forgotten classics.

TheJudge wrote:
I would love to become head geezer.? Thanks again,without the many thoughtful and serious contributions this thread would have died a quick death.

So we have old geezers, codgers and I’m an old coot. I’m assuming we’re all males. What do we call “ahem” the ladies that go back a few decades.

Good point Double blue.
Any suggestions?