could Damon Allen have made the NFL?!?!

IM BAACCCCKKKKK....ive been in the states for the last few days....NEVER AGAIN, i hope...anyways...heres some articles and news.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2006/01/13/1392225-sun.html]http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Footba ... 5-sun.html[/url]

The one sporting regret in the celebrated life of Damon Allen is that he never took a real shot at the National Football League.

He thought about it at times. He hoped someone might notice. He wanted to play with his brother, Marcus.

"We never really talked about that," Allen confessed yesterday, sitting in a comfortable chair at the Rogers Centre on the day Mike (Pinball) Clemons officially re-upped as coach of the Argonauts.

"I always wanted to play on the same team as my brother. I just never pushed the envelope for working out for a team and all you had to go through."

The matter came up yesterday in light of the Casey Printers signing with the Kansas City Chiefs. At age 23, Printers was named most outstanding player in the Canadian Football League. He spent three seasons in the CFL, two as a backup, before getting the big opportunity at age 24 to learn under Trent Green.

Allen waited until age 42 before he was richly awarded as the CFL's outstanding player. Printers had three teams bidding for him in the end -- Indianapolis and Detroit being the other suitors. Allen never once had an offer.

"Different times," he said. "This is an era where the quarterbacks with mobility are getting an opportunity to play. In my era, I would have had to change positions to play in the NFL. Now, if I was in college and coming out, I could very well be a first-round choice. Timing, I guess, is everything.

"When I was a junior (at Cal State Fullerton), the class of '83 was one year ahead of me. Dan Marino, John Elway and those guys. If you're weren't this and you weren't that and you weren't a drop-back passer, you weren't playing quarterback in the NFL.

"When I came out of college, I showed very well in the Senior Bowl and very well at the workout camps." But only the Edmonton Eskimos called.

And no one from the NFL has called since.

"It's like not knowing the answer to a question," Allen said. "You always want to know 'How would I have done? Could I have made it?' That's the regret, really. I would like to have given it a good shot. That's why I like what Casey's doing. I'm happy for him and for anybody who gets that opportunity, but at the same time the CFL is losing a great player.

TRUE OPPORTUNITY

"I know Casey worked out for a lot of teams. I would have liked to have done that myself (years ago). I guess you want to get a true opportunity, not just lip service. I think that's what stopped me. I never wanted to be one of those guys to say I was in the National Football League but I never played a down. To me, it always has been about playing the game. It was my desire to play.

"Did I want to say I played four years in the NFL but I held a clipboard for four years? That wouldn't have meant anything to me.

"It never was about the money. I wish I would have just gone out for a tryout and signed for nothing. Just to allow someone down there to see you perform in a workout situation, see what you're capable of."

Allen did do that with his brief foray into professional baseball. He played on a championship team at Cal State Fullerton and was a draft pick of the World Series-champion Detroit Tigers. Years later, he went to spring training with the Pittsburgh Pirates, just long enough to convince himself he could have made it in baseball.

Long enough so the question no longer lingers.

The way the football question never can be answered.

And in this season to come, in what may be Damon Allen's final year of professional football, the juxtaposition of he and Warren Moon cannot be minimized. Both quarterbacks went undrafted out of college, more because of their colour, their non-traditional style and their chosen position than anything else. Both ended up in Edmonton. Both won numerous Grey Cups.

This year Moon is up for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame and should he get named, at just about the time of his induction Allen should be eclipsing his record for most passing yards in professional history.

It won't get noticed much south of the border, but then, Damon Allen never was.

He could have been big in the NFL, but he stayed in Canada becase he is a ture CFLer!

should have made the nfl but im glad he stayed in the cfl.great qb and fun to watch but i still dont like watching him play the riders.

Sorry to say but he would never have made the NFL, Too small. When he came out of college he weighted in around 160 pounds. He had a reputation of fumbling the ball, heck it has only been the last two years or so that he learned to hang on to the ball. It is funny how we all seem to forget that hat he was chased out of every city he ever played in. I like Damon, and I remember him in college, but I think his size and style were built for the CFL. You must live on Mars to think he could have played in the NFL out of college ( or even during his first 10 years as a pro).

I kinda agree with whois

20+ years in the CFL and never got a call from the NFL scouts tells ya something

well, he is still a great footballer and a legend.

The NFL has a "mould" that they like for their Q.B.'s. (Over 6 foot!) Look at the "politics" Flutie had to fight against.

As much as Damon is a great CFL QB. I don't think he would have made it.

ro1313 makes a good point about 20 years and no calls from NFL Scouts.

...they said Flutie was to small....seems he's playing in the nfl.....Damon could have made it down there....maybe not at QB. but definitely at another position...specially with the help of his brother...who tried to encourage him to come back a few times...

I dont mean to say he would not have made it. I dont think he would not have been as outstanding there as he is here.

First of all as an American, I think he could have made the NFL, but he never got the chance to show what he could do. Maybe he should have asked his brother Marcus, one of the truly great tailbacks from USC and one of the greatest running backs in the NFL, to put in a good word for him. But then again, maybe that's just not his personality. I don't know as much about his earlier career in the CFL, but the last few years have been outstanding, and say to me that he should have at least had the chance to show what he could at a tryout camp for the NFL.
The situation with Ricky Ray and the New York Jets was such that he was truly AWFUL in preseason for them. His trouble was that he seemed to throw the ball to the guys wearing the other colored shirts more often than to the guys wearing the same colored shirt as he was wearing. Maybe with more time and more coaching, he would have improved and been a better NFL quarterback.
Doug Flutie's problem was he was drafted by the Chicago Bears when Mike Ditka was the coach, and he had little patience for a rookie quarterback. Doug didn't play much, and when he did; calm. cool, and collected Mike Ditka would increase the decibel level rather quickly if things weren't going right rather quickly. This didn't build his confidence or improve his game, so after two years he was traded to the New England Patriots, where he was very popular (he's from Massachusetts and played at Boston College), but at the time the Patriots were a mess. He played some, but didn't elevate his game to the level it was in the CFL, but I think he learned enough about being a professional quarterback, that he was on the verge of greatness and the CFL and their fans were the beneficiaries of that. I think Doug Flutie was well-suited for the CFL game, because he could run and wasn't afraid to run. I also think a running quarterback is more important to the CFL game than the NFL game, mainly because of the three downs versus four downs.
Warren Moon going undrafted by the NFL in 1978, is something I just can't explain, because his last college game was in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day versus Michigan, when he played for the University of Washington. This was before the BCS and the National Championship game stuff, and he lead his team to victory over Michigan, was the MVP of the game, and was thought of as a pro prospect. His not being drafted was a shock, and something the NFL scouts must have scratched their heads about many times. There were a few black NFL quarterbacks at the time, but not many, so I'm sure that was one factor. (Doug Williams was starting for the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, and James Harris had played for the Buffalo Bills and Los Angeles Rams). When he came back to the States and the NFL in 1984, there was a bidding war for him because he was a total free agent, and it was between the New York Giants and the Houston Oilers (now Tennessee Titans), with Houston getting his services. As great as he was in the CFL, he did get to the AFC Championship game twice, both times playing in Pittsburgh against one of the great Steelers teams which went on to win the Super Bowl, so Warren Moon never got to the Super Bowl in his years in the NFL. It is still a mystery how Warren Moon went undrafted by the NFL in the 1978 NFL draft, but somtimes things just happen that defy logic and common sense.

…didn’t Doug Flutie win the Heisman Trophy…I’m pretty sure he did…and a lot of the NFL. moguls about that time were heard to say of Doug…"great talent…but he will never make it in the NFL…he’s just too small’…CFL. welcomed him with open arms…and the rest is history…wonder if he will finish his career back here…rumours keep surfacing… :roll:

I think Damon and probably Matt Dunigan could have made it if given an equal shot. I am sure there were many more CFL great QB. One of which was Russ Jackson, a great who was also a Canadian, who played in the late 60's and 70's. After he retired he let it be known that NY Giants offered his a contract to go to the US, but he got more $ in the CFL plus he had no interest to go south.

If Sean Salisbury stuck around in a Back up roll..Surley Damon could of found a clipboard in the NFL..
Don't get me wrong about Salisbury, he had talent and a Greycup ring, also had size.
Damon Allen had the speed and smarts to compete in the NFL, just got lost in the NFL's sway..

earth to mar's, come in. over.

I guess I should explain, Salisbury played for the Bomber's in 88..
After he won a grey cup in Winnepeg, he went to the Vikings to become a career backup QB ..
I compared the two qb's, Salisbury had size, but Damon has speed and smarts.
My point is daddy, there have been alot of qb's in the NFL, with less talent than Allen...
Getting lost in a sway, is a figure of speach...

The more I watch football here and in the States, the more I am convinced that the qb's coming from the States is really all a crapshoot as to if this guy can or can't play in the NFL. They say you have to have a real gun to be a qb in the NFL because the holes to throw to a receiver are smaller because of the field size and the supposed faster speed of the NFL d backs and linebackers. But with all that being said, I think I see more touch passes these days in the NFL. And also, like hockey, it's not just about how hard your shot is but where you direct it.
I personally think that given a chance, there have been and are all sorts of qb's that play in the CFL that could have played in the NFL. And now guys like Brees who are only about 6' are playing. He would have been passed up a few years ago in the "old NFL". All a crapshoot, smarts is still very important.

Agree Earl, When a CFL player shops his talent around the NFL, he is basically a walk on in a NFL traing camp.
Like in hockey, to make the team, alot of times you have to bump the teams draft picks..
Money and time, is invested in these draft picks..making the established CFL player's chance so tough..