Costs of a CFL/Soccer specific stadiums

I've never been to BMO but the city of Toronto and MLSE have to figure out a way for BMO to become classier as it looks very odd that MLSE doesn't want a CFL team in there in a league where many and most stadiums in the CFL are classier and hold more people than the "mighty" MLS TFC team. That just makes no sense at all and doesn't look good for anyone there in Toronto.

If Columbus Crew Stadium cost a mere $28.5 million in 1998 ($39.8 million in 2013 dollars) and BMO Field only $62.9 million,($67.6 million in 2013 dollars) the possibility exists to build a basic CFL standard facility for $100 million or so.

Not all CFL stadiums need to be in the vein of BC Place or the new Riders Stadium.

Yup thats exactly what I have been saying. Halifax has already Ok’d 20 million so that is not a bad start. Throw in the naming rights $$$ and any kind of loan needed much could be paid off for using the Naming right $$$. 10 CFL games a season on National TV before a 800K plus viewing audience should bring some nice dollars for Naming rights.
Now that franchises are almost assured of breaking at least even every year with the new TV money

But Ottawa is only building(re-building) mainly half a stadium correct and they are working all hours(or at least allowed to… like 1 am I heard).
Does anyone know how many jobs are being created for the Kitty’s new stadium in Hamilton since it’s a closer comparable?

Although it does depend on what the timeline for a 10th team stadium, if construction is over 2 years it may be 400-500 jobs but for 2 years instead of 1(brings back the same $$ to the gov of course)
Plus of course the Gov is likely taxes a lot/most the construction materials and any that are made in province create more business in province.

So really the issue here is, can the province of Nova Scotia be convinced to commit $30M+(preferably $40M), because if the answer is yes then building a $120M stadium for a community owned team should be pretty viable.
Is having the loan in place. IF those are all lined up, having a private compaign for the final bit to start the stadium should hopefully be relatively easy, as I think there are enough businesses out(or individuals) that could donate that final $$ since it can come with a guarantee that it leads to the formation of the 10th team with it having community ownership, no if’s or buts about it.

As with Ottawa its not just the stadium and arena thats getting upgraded there will the Urban Villige which will be stores/resturants/Empire Thearter in total there will be something like 6 buildings part of this area plus there will be a office building and 2 condo’s and town homes plus a big underground parking garage.

The Urban Park area will include a fixed up Aberdeen Pavilion/Horticulture Building/Aberdeen Square/Childrens Garden/The Hill/The Water Plaza/Great/Lawn/East Court/Skating Court/Orchard/Farmers Market this area alone is going to be huge and will take some time to builld.

It will really come down to Halifax or Quebec City with Moncton as a Dark Horse for the 10th franchise. Now that each team will be profitable with TY deal and other league profit sharing the first ownership group that gets serious will get so much help from the CFL and other league corporate sponsors to get a stadium built due to the much importance of getting to that 10th team forming a 5th game each week where league corporate sponsors will be recognized by 800K TV audience.

Hold on, some of us here and myself have never said BMO field would have been good for the Argos.
As it turns out with the Argos and specifically C & S being lied to and sandbagged by Soccer Canada, MLSE and City of Toronto, this was a blessing.
The stadium is a dump, basically a bleacher like high school variety.

This all could be very well true but at the time the Argos wanted in on BMO that is a fact. So whether some people do or do not like it now at the time it was seen as a solution to the RC problem.
No one will need to worry as BMO will never be coverted to a CFL field MSE went to great lengths to amke it very costly to ever conform into to CFL diminesions without spending millons at is still the main facility for Canada Soccer National program because of the grass surface.

That we do agree on.
MLSE and again with Soccer Canada with the expansion have made it impossible for the Argos to come over.
As this turns out, I am more than happy.

I wonder about people's opinion that if the argos get their own stadium they'll improve attendance. With such a fickle fan base, I doubt they'll watch games in rain, snow or cold.

Well Prior to Skydome opening in 1989 the Argos had very strong attedance. 1970-1988 they only had 4 seasons of under 30K attendance and 4 seasons averaging over 40K at exhibition stadium… so it didn’t seem to be an issue with attendance back then, the issue will be for the Argos to re-build that fanbase they had before the mistake of moving to Skydome.

A well built football specific 30K stadium may actually work for Toronto after looking at how strong football use to be there, But rain/snow are non-issues considering most(3 of 4) of the new CFL stadiums have partial coverings to protect fans so as long as the Argos do the same. Now what’s the big deal for cold TO normally is still above zero in November… not particularly cold.

Let's face it, the Rogers Centre has everything going for it - it's on a subway line, bus route, streetcar route, train station, has a highway next to it, lots of parking nearby, an airport closeby, within walking distance to the downtown hotels, bars, restaurants and all the tourist attractions. If they can't draw a crowd there, they won't be able to draw a crowd to an area that doesn't have parking and public transport.
No government or any rich ownership group would ever contribute money to a football stadium anywhere else.

Football fans in Toronto have to stop whining and making up excuses why they can't draw a crowd to the Skydome, because their problems are nothing to do with their facility.

If Rogers installs grass in the next 3-4 years as Pelley and Beeston have stated, then there will be a definite problem.

Its not limited to Argos fans Blue Jays fans say the same thing.

The Rogers Centre is an outdated cookie-cutter bowl along the lines of the old Vet Stadium, Riverfront, Three Rivers, Fulton County bowls that are torn down because the sightlines for trying to please 2 sports with a bowl left most fans far away. The roof makes it worse for atmosphere as well with the bowl design. They should blow the monstrosity up immediately I think. I’ve noticed that in some more recent photos of Toronto for tourism, they don’t even include the stadium in the photo, and I’m sure it’s no accident.

Remember another name for stadiums like the Rogers Centre, Riverfront etc. "Concrete donuts". Like that term. :wink:

It will be years before a new stadium would even be built even if that did happen my guess is it will be much like the Rogers Centre maybe a bit smaller.

Completely agree it will be years but built like the RC? Are you kidding me, it'll be the exact opposite with a more angular rectangular design with a more retro look. They don't build cookie-cutter circular domes used for baseball and football any longer for a very good reason.

oh no?

new Regina Stadium: