Cortez to Ottawa

Will Cortez apply for the Head Coaching position with the RedBlacks?

I think people have learned from Hamilton that he's a great OC but not quite HC material. That being said I wouldn't be shocked if a team was desperate enough to try and hire him.

:thup:

I believe there will be a stronger candidate or 2 who have not had a crack at it yet.

LaPolice has a better chance 2 b hired than Cortez as RedBlack HC.

Pretty sure the Riders signed Cortez to a two year deal which would mean that Ottawa would need the permission of the Roughriders before even talking to him. That's something I'm not sure they would allow in this case.

I hope this is true

They would definitely allow that. And so they should. If a guy gets a chance for a higher position let him go for it.

Riders keep getting burned by letting coaches or players out of contracts. Loophole for players is now gone. Coaches need to fulfill their contracts. Team is bigger then any individual coach. You got your chance to shine in Riderville and if that leads to better opportunities, then do so after your contract is up. Football is a business.

I would give Greg Marshall a shot at HC again long before Cortez..

Marshall was in a no win situation when he took over our riders.. Our team was in shambles with Tillman out of the picture, Ken Miller stepping down as head coach yet remaining to cast a shadow over Marshalls every step. As well as Etchevery left and Hall took over as DC again. We had lost some key veterans from our team, our O-line was brutal that year and Taman wasn't allowed to do anything again cause of Millers VP position.. As well as we had Doug gag Berry calling our offensive plays..

Even Chamblin would have had trouble coming into that situation. I would like to see Marshall get another shot in the CFL, he seemed like a good guy and I think in the right position he could succeed as head coach.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Dave Dickenson get a shot at the HCing spot in Ottawa..

Not sure why they would feel obligated to do so. It would make contracts worthless. If the Riders canned him, they would be held responsible to fulfill that contract. It goes both ways.

I also would expect to see Ottawa look for someone that would be available before the very small window between the GC and the draft.

We would be foolish to let Cortez go. In my opinion he is the big piece of the puzzle we were missing.

I agree! It's not like Cortez didn't know there would be another football team starting up. He negotiated a 2 year deal...he should honour it!!!

There is aklays a gentleman's agreement in the coaching fraternity. Regardless of contract, coaching is always year to year. Cortez said that himself when he was signed away from Sask o-line coach to be Calgary OC in '07.

Cortez has already earned his weight in gold in Regina and this is with an offensive roster that made very dew changes. Imagine what he will be able to do as he carves out an offense bringing in some players he wants in a strategic manner.
With that being said I will predict now that the Riders will renogotiate Cortez's contract making him the highest paid OC ever in the CFL at a rate just below the HC but with security that he will be able to finish his career in Regina with a lenghty contract for an OC.
At 60 and with an organization that is the best to work for in the CFL during the new CFL era they will make him an offer he can't refuse.

Teams usually don't let assistants go for lateral moves, unless it's a mutual thing. Normally you only see coaches move to another organization for a promotion. You rarely see a guy move from one team to another in the same capacity. Chris Jones in Toronto is the exception to this.

I sure as heck hope not - he's done wonders for our team. Cortez is a definite keeper.

:thup: :thup:
:thup: :thup:

Here! Here!

With that being said I will predict now that the Riders will renogotiate Cortez's contract making him the highest paid OC ever in the CFL at a rate just below the HC but with security that he will be able to finish his career in Regina with a lenghty contract for an OC. At 60 and with an organization that is the best to work for in the CFL during the new CFL era they will make him an offer he can't refuse.
I sure hope your prediction comes true.....the more games I watch, the happier I am that we've got George.

Where? Where? (I think you meant "hear, hear"). :lol:

Anyway, I agree with the points being made and will expand it a bit. . . I think a great feature of the Riders this year is that you have 2 excellent coordinators in Cortez and Hall who have both failed as head coaches, and thus presumably aren't particularly interesting in moving up to that role again, and are and will be content to be what they are.