cortez, burris, fantuz, giguere biggest disappointments

burris is looking like a rookie quarterback...he's forgotten how to pump fake and looks at the receiver the whole route making it easy for opposition defenses...cortez's offensive play calling, is offensive and weak....fantuz, nice drop balls....giguere, where are you, no blocking no catching.....time to give porter or lefevore a shot a qb, it certainly wont hurt....i hate to say it, but we were better off with glenn and belfae...the last couple of years we have fed the league defensive backs and linemen...maybe its obie's time to go as well...

drop the burris and fantuz from your title and you're correct. You cannot pump fake when you have no time to throw. In order to pump fake you must be able to set your front foot/leg firmly because you must go through a proper throwing motion in order to set up a pump fake. Also, a pump fake usually takes about 3 seconds - Burris usually had under 1 second to throw the ball.

IMO, Giguere should be backup to Stala and Creehan should be on thin ice, not Cortez.

The play calling has been horrid, the last few games. This needs to fall on Cortez and I hope he can find a way to fix it fast. The O line is a mess, Walker cant break a tackle, the D is a joke, and our special teams cant cover.

[quote="ticats499"]burris is looking like a rookie quarterback...he's forgotten how to pump fake and looks at the receiver the whole route making it easy for opposition defenses...cortez's offensive play calling, is offensive and weak....fantuz, nice drop balls....giguere, where are you, no blocking no catching.....time to give porter or lefevore a shot a qb, it certainly wont hurt....i hate to say it, but we were better off with glenn and belfae...the last couple of years we have fed the league defensive backs and linemen...maybe its obie's time to go as well...[/quote

How can Giguere catch a ball if none are thrown his way. What this offence needs is an OC with new ideas, plus the recievers need to stop dropping balls, the Oline to block, and Burris to fix his accuracy problems.

I think you're on to something. The problem is, we don't actually have an OC. We have a HC who is also running the offence himself. I think this was a mistake, the wrong strategy. I don't expect it to be corrected this year (nor do I think we should be firing any of the coaches this year mid-season), but I sure hope it's corrected in the off-season. Cortez isn't a miracle worker... he's a rookie HC who is also serving as his own OC, plus being Director of Football Operations. That's too much on one person, especially one who has never served in two of those three capacities before.

Burris' accuracy problem is only a problem when he doesn't have time to throw. As a quarterback you are bound to be less accurate and throw erratic passes off your back foot as opposed to throwing off your front (plant) foot. Just saying.

Will everyone be still defending Burris after we lose to the Argos this weekend when he throws another two interceptions??

It's time to call a spade a spade. :thdn: :thdn:

I wasn't thrilled with the acquisition of Burris when he came. I didn't think it made a lot of sense to move to an older QB that had been displaced as starter elsewhere. Another team's past isn't the way to create our future. I wasn't a fan of Glenn either as far as that goes, but I didn't see Burris as a categorical improvement. I still don't.

As for this weekend, I hope he proves me completely wrong and plays a fabulous game.

Burris has been great....leading the league in TDs....fewest ints....most points....impressive numbers. All done with zero help from the defense....no big timely stops....almost no turnovers and sacks....

Fantuz has been good, and was doing really well prior to his injury, which I think is still bothering him somewhat.

Cortez the OC gets a thumbs up; Cortez the HC is still learning.

As far as Giguere goes, I don't think he's been a disappointment if you look at it objectively. He is in effect a rookie.....he came with high expectations because he was a Canadian, and, as a Canadian rookie he's done well. Would you expect an import receiver who spent a few years in the NFL on a practise roster to come in and be dominant right away? Why is he different? There are lots of guys who spent time on NFL rosters, let alone practise rosters, who never amount to anything up here......give him time and it'll be worth it...

I do agree, however, that Stala should be playing....over Giguere....maybe Jones....Kelly.....he's been great when he gets a chance, and I don't understand why he doesn't play more...

This is a great quote, and IMO part of why Obie's team-building strategy has yielded mixed results. If you keep chasing the latest free agent or big name, you are building your future on someone else's past. That free agent probably provided his best value on his previous contract, which is why he's about to hit the big payday. When you base your team on established players from other teams, you're chasing the past (Burris's 2008 Grey Cup ring, Fantuz's 2010 season, etc.) instead of developing players who are ascending, whose best days might still be ahead. The best player on this team is Chris Williams -- a home-grown import who still has room to get better. The Cats need more gems like Williams and fewer free agents / trade acquisitions.

How come when it came to discussing Kevin Glenn, numbers were irrelevant and all that mattered was wins, but now when it comes to Burris it's all about numbers and not at all about wins? Maybe you were a Glenn basher, maybe you weren't; but your post defending Burris got me thinking about all the times that people didn't care about what numbers Glenn put up and only cared about wins. Now that the QB doesn't have as many wins to his credit (which is a bogus and useless way to judge a quarterback's effectiveness), it is all about the numbers. Interesting how things work sometimes.

True...and for the record, I was, and still am, a Kevin Glenn supporter...I predicted he'd be starting with Calgary within a few games, and I was right, albeit with an asterisk......had he not been injured in the EDF, I still think we might have won....

It highlights the fact that its a team game, I guess....as we have found out, 30 points are no good if the other team gets 31...

Offense has to shoulder as much blame in the last four losses as the defense does. They have not extended drives at critical junctures. Coach & Quarterback. Cortez seems to lose his cajones & creativity as the game progresses. Henry seems to lose his confidence & throws timely interceptions at similar intervals.

"Best Defence Is A Good Offence." Last time I looked at the CFL rule book, you have to have the ball to score points.

The defence has been pretty poor at scoring points as well. Having DBs that can actually make an interception would be the first step. The second would be a pick-six...

But the Cats make up for it with special teams touchdowns. Chris Williams has six returns for TDs so far this year, which I'm pretty sure is more than every other team combined. But if you're relying/hoping for scores from your D or special teams, then the offense is clearly not good enough. We know how good this offense can be, so the defense just needs to get turnovers or two-and-outs and let the offense do their job in a way we know they can.

I agree, but the defence has been horrible forcing turnovers. The other team cannot score if we take the ball away form them.

When the team uses a prevent defense most of the game. ie lets the other team move down the field regularly, it means the offense has less time with the ball. We need a defense the gives us two and out. Playing off receivers by 10 -15 yards is just no good.