Corky Jones fires Rider broadcast crew???

It would take a LOT to be more of a homer and completely biased then the dudes in Calgary. I had to stop listening to the games it was so one sided, and I’m talking about multiple occasions against multiple teams. [I used to like listening to the games on the radio when I’m camping but these homers just made it far to annoying]

Preisst, I am with you 100 % on the Stamps QR77 biased homers comment.
Although , I have not heard all radio crews to compare.

I can not stand those guys , and I am a Stamps fan. :?
For me, the topper ( or bottom :roll: ), was when PBP caller Mark Stephen declared the 2014 Stampeders the best team off all time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also, Greg Peterson is a horrible colour man but is also the most biased of the homers.

Example. There was this one game against the Als, where he felt an Als player was faking an injury.
He stated there should be a fine or penalty for such an act.

Yet, I remember an occasion when a Stamps player went down and Peterson stated it was great coaching move.
It is bad enough to be a biased homer, but make it worse with double standards. :thdn: :thdn:

Also entitlement.
They felt that because the Stamps were the designated home team for the 2014 Grey Cup, they should have the radio broadcast rights. :lol: :lol:

I called into their show and explained TSN radio rights and they hung up on me.
How dare I dispute their wishes.
Could you imagine the the national broadcast of listening to those guys Stamp cheering :roll:

Funny story about Carm Carteri

Carm Carteri played for the Ti-Cats for a couple of seasons way back in the early eighties (81 ,82 ) . It's kinda funny but the one memory I have of his time with the team and remember was when he was interviewed and asked by the radio on air crew about how he thought the 11-4-1 Cats would do in the "81" East Final against the 5-11 Ottawa Rough Riders . Carm without hesitation responded and stated that there is no question about it , we should blow them out in the East Final without a problem . Well , long story short we all know how that turned out , now don't we . :oops: :cry: ....Thanks a lot Carm :lol:

BOBO, I remember like yesterday watching the 81 East Final on tv.

I assumed the Cats would blow the RR’s out.
So did the Cats.

The Cats played their worst game of 81 on that day.

IMO, the Cats played their best game in a tie with the Esks.
It would have been the perfect set up for a Grey Cup.

Just shows how, if you do not respect the opponent on game day and look past to the next game…
you will just sit and watch it on tv.

Thank you for being honest and objective.

This site could use a lot more of these type of posts and less of the childish hate driven posts with asinine jpegs of banjo pickers with outright stupid commentary.

For me I have found the Bomber radio broadcast to be the worst. Talk about "calmed enthusiasm" you can't tell if they have thrown a pick 6 or a 90 yard TD based on enthusiasm. Knowledgeable...perhaps...not sure because of snoozing due to monotone commentating.

I guess CJOB (Corus) didn’t pay that much for bomber radio rights, after all. Bob Irving, has been around since the early 70s - and he’s been the voice of the bombers other than a 5 yr turn in the early to mid 80s when CFRW/1290 (now TSN radio) sent some of the most miserable broadcasters in the history of sports-casting into the fray. Only the late Eddie Kotowich (old bomber guard) kept the thing moving - they actually had 3 pbp guys in their 5 year run - a non sports guy named Jeff Sanders who lasted less than season - then a blind guy named Rob Glazier (who did fairly well even though he was blind in one eye and couldn’t see out the other). After Glazier soiled the position he was replaced by a hockey announcer from San Diego (minor leagues) named Ron Oakes; who didn’t know football. It was rather embarrassing to be blunt.

Irving and Doug Brown (who only does home games cuz CJOB cheaps out on travel and hotel costs) are very sonambulant (drowsy, calm, etc.). Irving has had his hopes busted too many times to get rip rowdy - and Brown tends to go off on long technical rants, allowing Irving a few sips of his favourite ‘beverage’.

At somewhere between 68 and 70 I suspect Irving’s time is coming to a close. Bombers have 2 years left on their current contract - and they barely do anything on their air other than broadcasting the games, hosting a next-day 1 hour coaches show (its in O’Shea’s contract), reading the scores for the CFL and virtually no other promotion.

TSN 1290 will no doubt top-bid next go-round. Can’t see any other Winnipeg radio outlets being interested although CBC radio is now the top radio outlet in Winnipeg. (CJOB was #1 for over 25 years but has been dying a slow death the last 5 years, hiring kids straight out of technical school, not being able to afford top voices, still selling 30 - 36 minutes of every rush hour they sell ads on, having cadres of pay per hire hours on the weekend where chiropractors or contractors talk about the virtues of their companies.

Nobody currently at TSN 1290 could probably do the job Irving did til he got old (about 5 years ago) but Darren Bauming would be the #1 in-house candidate with guys like Chris Walby, Troy Westwood and even Doug Brown coming aboard (once CJOB loses the rights they won’t need Brown for nothing)

TSN wouldn’t put up with a hapless cheerleader like Rod Pederson but then again, Pederson is often balanced out by the overly critical and picky Carm Carteri.

TSN will also book a radio crew that has a qualified play by play man and color man on every broadcast, not just home games!

Well big thanks, right back to you for the kind words.
Much appreciated Priesst. :thup:

The last straw for myself was after the Grey Cup.

The whole crew would not give Ottawa a second of well earned respect. :thdn:

All it was was excuses. :oops:

“The poor field hurt the Stamps” ( the field was the same for both teams )

“Stamps lost their top receiver early” ( Ottawa did not have their top receiver )

" How could the Stamps allow defeat to a sub 500 team" ( they did not complain about the Stamps 8-10 in 2001 ).

As a Calgarian they :oops: :oops: :oops: me.

I would call them a clown act, but that would be an insult to clowns.

And what have you got against banjo pickers ? Check out this awesome video , unbelievable cover version of AC/DC 's Thunderstruck played with banjo ,spoons ,accordion,mandolin , stand up Bass and anvil . They should seriously consider getting these guys to play half-time at this years annual "Banjo Bowl " …and just for the record the answer is no , these guys are not from Saskatchewan but are actually from Finland.

Just click and enjoy , believe me you won’t be disappointed . These guys are awesome !!! :rockin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc

I used to watch a jug band play AC/DC, Motorhead and others at the Black Bull in Toronto on Saturday matinees. The banjo was up front, and amped. More banjo!!!

We like to get an accurate account of the game here in Winnipeg. Nothing worse than hearing the announcer falling off his chair because his team just had a six yard run. Irvin will praise or be critical of any player, friend of foe. His Calm enthusiasm has earned him top awards from his piers. I like to know what is happening without waiting five minutes for the announcer to cool down… During the game we leave the cheer leading to those with pom-poms.

I always liked Bob Irving.

We all know he is cheering for the Bombers, but would never know it.

He calls it unbiased fair and square down the middle.

He did a great job on the CFN network ( 87 - 90 ) while the Bombers switched radio rights.

Not surprised the point went over your head boob82, I have no problem with banjo players. I am a musician and I play in a band, I appreciate all instruments. Keep on keeping on.

And it looks like the rumour about Carteri's demise is now official . Luc Mullinder as a lot of people thought and suspected will be his replacement . You got to give Carteri credit though as he had a nice run of 28 seasons as the Riders colour commentator on their radio broadcasts .

here's the link as reported by D. Edwards at 3D Nation : http://3downnation.com/2017/05/22/28-ye ... mmentator/

Thanks for posting this but it is old news. For the record Jones had NOTHING to do with the decision to move on from Carteri. Sorry about that as I know it goes against your agenda.

And what agenda would that be ? For the record I agree with ya and never thought that Jones had anything to do with the firing of Carteri in the first place myself . Jones has got a lot more important things to worry and care about with training camp soon opening up to care or give a hoot about who does radio broadcasts for the team . Jones maybe guilty on a lot of things that have transpired since he joined the Riders BUT on this occasion I highly doubt he had anything to do with it .

bold = cute.

rest of post = thank you for finally being objective. For the record I’m on the fence about Jones.

Nice backtrack Preisst. :roll:

The link BOBO posted indicates Rider fans really like Cam and will miss him.

I have only heard samples of Rider radio broadcasts, so I have no opinion.

Always unfortunate when a popular broadcaster is out.

Now if Calgary QR77 would just get rid of colour man Greg Peterson.

Sorry, I know this is about the Rider crew, but I just HAD to get that in.

Carm Carteri: ‘Chris Jones seems to be controlling everything’:

[url=http://3downnation.com/2017/05/22/carteri-chris-jones-seems-controlling-everything/]http://3downnation.com/2017/05/22/carte ... verything/[/url]