Corey Mace holding out

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/579760

While it's interesting that he wants more money, if he doesn't sign with the Cats he won't be able to sign with any other CFL team, and his NFL options seem to be limited at this point. Since training camp is so short in the CFL the longer he holds out the less chance he has in making the Cats this year. If he can't make the Cats who else might be interested in him?

There is no way in hell Obie is going to give him 90+ a year when he is completely untested and unproven in the CFL.

With his and his agents attitude he won't be playing anywhere and will get a contract for $0 per season.

Shameful really..

I can understand OB sticking to his guns that he wants to bring an unproven player in at the lowest possible contract offer of 65K, BUT looking at the history the last few years having poor (worst in the league) D-Line I say give him the extra 20k and get him into training camp to learn the system asap. What is 20k if this can give our defence the edge and aggresion we need to bring back our winning ways.
If he is not worth it you can alway cut him and not have to pay him anyway.

I just watched CHCH sports at 11:00 news and they did not mention this story at all. They just replayed the same story from the 6:00 sports

This guy's agent needs a reality check.

From Drew's article, quoting the agent: "For us to even consider the Ticats as an option, they would have to present an offer which reflected two things: one, a one year and option deal, and two, core compensation which was at least equal to NFL practice squad money. It's as simple as that,"

The fact that he's insisting on a short deal means he really wants to get back in the NFL. Since we know that what he really wants is to be on an NFL squad, it's painfully obvious that he must not have any interest from NFL teams now: if he did, all we'd see was a Road Runner-esque trail of smoke heading toward that team.

Does Sheehy think letting his client sit at home and play XBox for a year is going to increase interest from NFL teams?

This is bang on in my opinion. There is obviously no interest from any NFL teams at this point, so what Mace needs if he is going to head back to the NFL is a great year or two in the CFL. Maybe he should pay us for the chance to pad his resume a little bit!!!

Seriously though, I think Obie probably realizes that this kid has no NFL options, and if he wants another NFL shot it is going to be via CFL success, and that is why he's not willing to pay 95K. He's calling Mace's bluff and we're going to get him for a reasonable price.

As I mentioned when Tillman gave St-Pierre (also a second rounder) a 100k a year deal a couple months ago. It would change the baseline for elite NI prospects, Popp followed with a 100k deal for Woodruff and now quite understandably Shean wants the same deal for Mace.

However both those guys made a four year commitment to their respective teams, so Mace want's his cake and eat it too. Too bad for both parties but to give up a second round pick for a guy who it is questionable that he will go to war ( an injury would hurt his goals of going back to the NFL) and for possibly one to one and a half season and then lose him to free agency. I think I would keep the 2nd. round pick, especially after using up the first rounder on Carlson.

So right now the going rate for a guy like Mace is around 100k a year for a four year commitment, it is league minimum for a 1+1

As I Said this bad Deal for us
Time Dump mases rights for Late round pick and get out of this mess.

I think 70-75K would be more than fair for Mace.

The 65k is fair if he want's a one plus one. I think if he misses another week or two of camp the offer for a one + one probably goes down to league minimum. My fear is he will show up at some point and be a F...P.I.T.A

:thdn: This was bad Trade and It Still Sour Taste in Everyone mouth

It is time Trade his rights for late Round Pick ?
AS I said before I don't like this kid.
He acts like he an Argo....
Expecting 100K He is unproven .
You ask for that kind of money when can back it up
I don't want him here now
We have guys who Blue Collar and They will get job done
I don't think we need Mase not at 100K anyways

Remember that his rights will cost the Ticats a 2nd round pick to Winnipeg. So what team in this league do you think will give the Ticats better then a 2nd. round pick for a holdout who wants 100k rookie contract for a year and will spend THE year on the phone with his agents and US contacts trying to get back in the NFL?????

At least as long as he stays home, he dosen't cost the Ticats a pick.

And yes it was a brutal trade, just pray the Argos and Moreno don't knock the Ticats out of a playoff spot...

I say we cut our loss and take a Late round 5 or 6 Pick.. Better then nothing

Your not getting it. that fifth round pick will cost you a 2nd. round pick...

Player wants more money. Knickers in a knot. You'd think as sports fans people would be used to it. Guess not.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=negotiating

Player wants more money. Knickers in a knot. It's the end of the world as we know it. You'd think as sports fans people would be used to it. Guess not.

This is pretty much part two in him coming here.
Part one was his agent exhausting every avenue to get another NFL contract with that failed he now has to find the max. payout up here.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=negotiating

If the game is throwing dictionary definitions around, check out this one:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/condescension

It is unusual for negotiations in the CFL to drag out like this unless a bona fide star is involved. Even in that case, it is not commonplace. Mace's bargaining position weakens with every day of camp he misses.

Some players have a disproportionate sense of their own value. Sometimes a player may be represented by someone who enters negotiations with unrealistic expectations, blustery tactics, or both. A concept frequently referred to in literature on negotiation is "BATNA", standing for "best alternative to a negotiated agreement". Mace's agent seems to imply that he has some great alternatives available, but I'm skeptical of such a claim, and I would imagine Obie is as well. Obie's BATNA is to give the roster spot to someone else under contract, which is one reason he brought lots of linemen to camp. In that scenario, Obie would also avoid forfeiting a conditional draft pick to Winnipeg.

Until Mace can prove he's the next Scott Schultz, he should be worried about whether he'll have any future in pro football at all if he can't reach an agreement with Hamilton. In theory he could pursue legal options if he thinks Hamilton is negotiating in bad faith, but time is not on his side.

8) That is just par for the course for CHCH !!! :roll:

Obie knows even with 30 NFL teams that no team has signed him
and he was released by the Buffalo Bills back in February.

The NFL has already held Spring Mini-Camps.

The NFL practice roster clock is ticking.

If Obie can get Mace to sign a multiple year contract
in the next day or two he may come up with a few more bucks,

if not Obie may hang tough well into the season.

Mace's opportunity to show Obie where his football skills are at

If Mace had aspirations of being an immediate starter
he has likely screwed that up by missing Training Camp.

He won't have the 2 days of rookie camp
and the 10 days at the main Training Camp

to gradually internalize Greg Marshall's system

Even veteran players coming back from the NFL
find it difficult to new systems and step right in.

P.S.

Other guys,both Canadian and American
are far ahead of Mace in preparedness.

If some American is head and shoulders
over any of our present Canadians at DT,

I would go with a second Canadian starter
at linebacker and start Augie and Mariuz.

Obie knows even with 30 NFL teams that no team has signed him
and he was released by the Buffalo Bills back in February.

The NFL has already held Spring Mini-Camps.

The NFL practice roster clock is ticking.

If Obie can get Mace to sign a multiple year contract
in the next day or two he may come up with a few more bucks,

Obie may hang tough well into the season.

Obie wants to get a read on where Mace's football skills are presently at.

Mace likely has aspirations of being an immediate starter.

He doesn't realize that he's screwing up
chances of that by missing Training Camp.

He won't have the 2 days of rookie camp
and the 10 days at the main Training Camp

to gradually internalize Greg Marshall's system

Even veteran players coming back from the NFL
find it hard to adapt to new systems and step right in.

P.S.

Other guys, both Canadian and American
are far ahead of Mace in preparedness.

If some American is head and shoulders
over any of our present Canadians at DT,

I would go with a second Canadian starter
at linebacker and start Augie and Mariuz.