Corey Holmes to become a HS coach

Corey Holmes is putting his football future in God's hands.

Usually at this time of year, the shifty running back-special teams star is in training camp preparing for the upcoming CFL season. However, Holmes was released by the Saskatchewan Roughriders shortly after their Grey Cup win over Winnipeg for salary cap reasons and has yet to sign with another club.

Holmes, 31, a seven-year CFL veteran, is leaving the door open to a possible return to Canada but it could be slammed shut next week. Holmes has applied to become the head football coach at Greenville-Weston High School in Greenville, Miss.

A deeply spiritual man, Holmes said he'll know by June 19 whether he's got the coaching job. If successful, he will retire as a player to don the headset full-time.

''Getting cut from the CFL, at first, was sad but I knew God had something bigger for me,'' Holmes said. ''If it's meant for me to go back to Canada in the middle of the season then God is going to direct me.

''If it's for me to get this job, then I'll definitely be there and be the one to help these kids get to the level, and not just in football but also in life. I don't want to operate outside what God has for me.''

Source

Seems kind of strange that hes done so soon unless hes asking for the moon. The Bombers should pick him up for insurance.

If he was going to go into coaching, I'm kind of surprised that he didn't pick up a spot with the Riders staff like Gass in Edmonton.

But Gass can teach kids how to throw helmets and not get suspended! What could Holmes possibly bring to the table? :stuck_out_tongue: