Corey Grant released?

Did Corey Grant get released this off-season? It might have slipped by me but I was looking at the team roster on the riders website and he was not listed on there. I can't say I am at all suprised given the amount of canadian talent the riders have at receiver.

If he got cut I missed it as well. He wasn't a free agent this time round and I didn't see any news of him getting cut. Quietly retired maybe?

This is a bit odd. There has been no official announcement, that I'm aware, of re Grant. He is not a FA and he is not listed on the roster. Same thing with Michael Palmer.

[url=http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/football/roughriders-football/Riders+have+quiet+draft/1445670/story.html]http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/footba ... story.html[/url]
The Riders haven’t extended contract offers to veteran non-import receivers Corey Grant and Michael Palmer. Grant had been with the Riders for six seasons. Palmer played 1 1?2 seasons with the Riders after signing as a free agent.

I'm not sure what that means, exactly. Option-year that wasn't picked up? If they weren't listed as free agents, and weren't listed as released.

… The Riders haven’t extended contract offers to veteran non-import receivers Corey Grant and Michael Palmer. Grant had been with the Riders for six seasons. Palmer played 11?2 seasons with the Riders after signing as a free agent.
[url=http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/football/roughriders-football/Riders+have+quiet+draft/1445670/story.htm]http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/footba ... /story.htm[/url]

Praise the lord.....

Not saddened to see Palmer go. I've always liked Grant. I suppose with Clermont, we get the same veteren leadership to the recieving corps. But somehow, I feel we got weaker at WR.

Grant was a 6 year Rider. For 5 of those years i've read the annual Grant bash thread......I guess if you harp about something long enough you get your wish.......No reason to "praise the lord"

Grant was clutch.
Grant was all about team.
Pretty hard to pin stats to that type of worth......EH!

Corey Grant was a marginal receiver, who, because he was Canadian, pretty bright, and a good team guy, lasted a lot longer than he might have otherwise. However, of the many positive ways to describe Corey, "clutch" wouldn't immediately jump to mind.

But he was only ever good enough to be a 6 or 7 guy, and when you're 30, he wasn't going to get better. His spot needs to be taken by a younger guy. It's the right decision.

First Palmer---he caught 18 passes last year and fumbled 6 times. Time to go.
The reason you've heard the "Grant bashing" for 5 of 6 years is because he hasn't been very effective 5 of those 6 years. I keep hearing about how clutch he was. I seem to recall him making a handful of "clutch catches" way back in 2003 and a couple in the play-offs in 2004. Since then there have been more dropped passes than clutch ones. Twice he went to free agency and twice no other team wanted him. In terms of Canadian receivers, heading towards TC, he is 33 this year and behind, Bagg, Getslaf, Nicolson, McKoy, Clermont and Fantuz. There simply isn't a spot on the roster for him. Maybe he's a really great guy. I wouldn't know. But it's time for him to go. Maybe "praise the lord" is a little strong---but I'm not going to miss him.

Easy now big guy....

As usual your stats are 100% correct,and I thank you for the great info you provide to the Rider forum.

Yes, Grant is 33, and we now have a stable full of talent at receiver, so i agree Grant's time has come.....But Like I've said before, 5 years of continual harping about the lack of Grant's on field's contributions and his taking up a roster spot has once again paid off in 100% accurate hindsight on your part........Nice work

Bagg is the only one that's been playing WR. Getzlaf, Nicolson, Clermont, and Fantuz are all SB ( McKoy has never actually played a down, to my knowledge ). Losing Grant and Dominguez leaves us with Bowman and Bagg at WR ( and possibly Walker ), neither of which have been stellar.

Maybe Dressler can work his magic at wide reciever, maybe not. Our offensive schemes don't include a whole lot of WR, so it often looks like our WR position is not doing much. It's more that they don't throw to the wide-outs than it is that they aren't quality recievers.

Losing Flick, Dominguez, and Grant puts our recieving corps weak in the leadership catagory. Clermont doesn't know the system and is, himself, going to be doing a lot of learning.

And like I’ve said before–the reason people harp on his lack of on field performance is BECAUSE OF HIS LACK OF PERFORMANCE. No other reason. Actually, it is partly because he has in the past performed at a reasonable level that it is all the more disappointing when year after year he proves he is not dependable… He was good in 2003, Terrific. So he tails off in 2004. Well one year…he’ll be good in 2005. Well, he wasn’t, but he didn’t start that year. Well he started most of 2006, 07, 08… how many years does a guy get to play because he was “clutch” in two games 5 years ago…? It’s like Marcus Crandell. “He was the Grey Cup MVP, so the fact he has done nothing in the 7 years since then won’t matter, will it?” Or Michael Bishop. “He was runner up for the Heissman 10 years ago, so we know he can play”. Ask Ken Miller. Ask ET. They’ll both tell you about how this is a performance based business. Grant has performed below par for years…bye!

The Rider website lists Fantuz as a wide-out, but I think we'll see him at slot. Of course our scheme likely doesn't really care to much about the specific position so much as the actual design of the play. But not counting Grant, we have 13 guys listed as wide receivers. I thought Bagg was really good at wide-out last year. Good enough that ET was talking about playing 3 Canadians as starters. Bowman was inconsistent, but showed flashes. And had he not gotten hurt, his numbers projected over a full year would have been pretty darned good. I'll go to war with Fantuz and Clermont in the middle, Dressler,and Walker outside, with Bagg, Getslaf, Bowman and Berman as support. Plus the rest. That's a good receiving corps. As good, I believe, as any in the league.

And McKoy did play in his rookie year before getting hurt. On the roster for 9 games, but only caught 2 passes.

Yeah, McKoy dressed for the league opener against Montreal that year, I believe. Someone that was supposed to start got hurt or sick at the last minute and couldn't go, if memory serves.

And as for the WR position being the reason for Grant's low numbers - that's not quite accurate - before MD got hurt in 2007 he was leading the league in receiving...as a wide receiver. True, Grant plays the field side, which typically doesn't have as many pre-planned throws to him, but if he was turning guys inside out and getting open play after play, throws would find their way to him. If not that series or even that game, coaches watch film, and they would see that geez, how come number 2 is open all the time?

No, I think they got all that Grant had to give.

And who was that guy playing wide receiver in 2006 that was leading the league in yards and had 16 catches in 4 games—you know, the guy Grant replaced and had 21 receptions in 14 games. Jamal Richardson?
Last year, in one game, in a fit of brilliance, we made Corey Grant the go to guy. We relentlessly threw the ball to him—7,8.9 times I believe. Not sure if he caught a pass…
And #2 is open all the time… opposing defences often do not bother covering him…anyone recall his first TD pass in 3 years last year? That was exactly what happened.

With all the crap our offense went through in 2008,It’s almost insulting to read how some would dare rate Grant’s performance…Low…real low…

AR’s statement is a no brainer…" I’ll go to war with Fantuz and Clermont in the middle, Dressler,and Walker outside, with Bagg, Getslaf, Bowman and Berman as support. Plus the rest. That’s a good receiving corps. As good, I believe, as any in the league."

Just look at the talent we have, of course Grant is done with us…Still, 5 years of negativity towards a solid ball player is uncalled for, BUT GEE you’re finally right, Grant is gone…Nice work…

And i’m about done contributing towards YOUR 15 minutes of fame…C’YA

Well if Corey wants to keep his 15 minutes going, for the third time in 5 years he can approach any team in the league.... good luck to him....

[url=http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2009/04/morning-reading-and-obies-plan.html]http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2009/ ... -plan.html[/url]
Obie said the Ticats will work out a some veteran non-import wide receivers - Dave Stala and Corey Grant were two names that came up - to see if they have anything left in the tank.

Some people still think he has what it takes to start in this league. Corey basically fell victim to roster limitations, and the fact that we have way too much talent and competition among our NI recievers.

Ticats maybe Bring him and Dave stalla in for a Lookesy