Conference Board of Canada - 6 new markets

This is an interesting read, and nothing really new then has already been said before, except that it comes from the Conference Board of Canada.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/football/montreal-alouettes/markets+could+support+study/5751356/story.html

I don't think I agree with them in regards to Ontario. I don't think Hamilton will ever make money, and especially wont if other markets take fans away.

Unfortunately this article offers nothing of substance as we are rehashing the same old same old.
The lack of stadiums, ownership and political will is evident in most of these areas save and hopefully except Ottawa.

Actually in terms of strictly considering the markets, they are correct. Those 6 cities in all likelihood, could make a legitimate bid for a CFL team. Mind you, it won't happen and you can already eliminate those Ontario cities save for Ottawa, because the CFL want to put teams in those cities.

With a better TV deal if that’s possible, I think there is a chance to make money even in a somewhat marginal smallish type market Hamilton seems to be. But with the new stadium this is going to be great and I think Toronto will go to another location, I would bet my bottom dollar on this, within 5-7 years if not sooner. The GTA really just needs one team I think especially with the new Hamilton stadium.

Just no CFL stadium on the horizon there in Toronto and without that, it’s toast. The CFL is better off in a Quebec City or any city with a more CFL type stadium than in Toronto where the CFL doesn’t seem to be working in that stadium.

I think Toronto will go to another location, I would bet my bottom dollar on this, within 5-7 years if not sooner. The GTA really just needs one team I think especially with the new Hamilton stadium.

Just no CFL stadium on the horizon there in Toronto and without that, it's toast. The CFL is better off in a Quebec City or any city with a more CFL type stadium than in Toronto where the CFL doesn't seem to be working in that stadium.

It is perplexing to say the least that the GTA cannot support two teams with a tremendous population base of nearly 8 million.
I still think Hamilton and T.O. can exist simultaneously as they've done for over a hundred years now.

It is up to the CFL and team proprietors to ensure that they reach new generation fans and continue the heritage.

It would be tragic if Toronto relocated IMO.

And yes, I agree that Quebec City would be a viable location as well.

It would be more than tragic...it would be insane to relocate away from Toronto. After all, it's not as if nobody shows up to games there. It just needs to be in a more manageable location than where it is now so its costs are lower and its opportunities to make money are higher. It needs a smaller, more intimate football-specific stadium and own to the concessions and parking lots. It can still use the dome for big games.

But that's the million dollar question - where is this type of stadium on the horizon "in" Toronto? Forget BMO, MLSE is not going to cooperate and I don't think Braley wants to provide any money to MLSE for "their" stadium to accomodate the Argos, again the Argos become 2nd class citizens again in a stadium. Hamilton can do the job for the CFL in the greater GTA IMHO. Vancouver and Edmonton are football stadiums and people know this and are excellent football stadiums. Rogers Centre isn't and neither was the Big Owe except as people say for the odd game here and there.

I just don't see it continuing in Toronto and as I say, to me it's not tragic, it's just the way it seems to going. I understand all the history and that in Toronto, no question, I get that. But without a viable intimate stadium like what happened in Montreal, I have my doubts.

Anyways, this has been discussed for a long time. I do say though that if Braley is happy and wants to work with the Rogers Centre for a while, so be it. He's much smarter than I am and has lots more money and contacts. :wink:

I see a new NHL type arena might be in the works in north Toronto. :

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/a-new-nhl-ready-arena-in-the-gta/article2245955/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2245955/[/url]

I don't see it hapenning in Quebec city at this time as no one there is pushing for it. Also the peps (University Laval' stadium) has no intention in sharing their stadium with a CFL team. It seams like there has been an interrest for a short while... about 2 or 3 weeks after an Alouettes Gray cup and then it quickly fades away...

Except that Braley is also 70 years old. How much long can he be counted on?

An option might be to expand Varsity stadium, but that seems like a stretch. Whatever the case, Toronto is simply too big to ignore. The CFL simply MUST find a location that's not too far out. I'm sure Cohon has pokers in the fire. We'll just have to see what happens after the next TV contract. Maybe TSN will buy the Argos. Who knows.

meanwhile, a vancouver businessman buys dallas stars

A stadium with the NHL type arena in Markham would be great but haven't heard any interest in that.

Good in theory, impossible in practice. Until someone sets Laval straight and lets the CFL play there, Quebec City isn't getting a team. Moncton/Halifax is possible, although that is going to cause travel costs to go up but the market still needs testing. If they aren't selling out every Touchdown Atlantic, it's a mute point. London, having to overcome the Ontario "Ughh..CFL isn't NFL" attitude I don't think would be easy for a city that small. Waterloo is too close to both Hamilton and Toronto and has a lot of divided loyalty already.