Confederation Park Cricket fields

Hamilton begins to transform Confederation Park

[url=http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/hamilton-begins-to-transform-confederation-park/]http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/hamilt ... tion-park/[/url]

$80Million, that is a big time investment
Cricket fields,
Does anybody even know how they play that game?
We can't put a stadium there it will interfere with the cricket fields. :roll:
Now they want to put sports fields at Confederation park.

The cricket fields are really just a small part of the development.

Great initial plan for a terrific public park! Kudos to councilor Collins and council!

The sports field area, which will include [b][i][u]a[/u][/i][/b] cricket pitch, two intermediate soccer fields that can be changed into a junior cricket pitch, an on-site parking lot, washrooms, and [b][u]new tree plantings, was one of the new additions to the uses of the park that had area residents applauding[/u].[/b]
The plan includes constructing a Class ‘A’ 6-metre asphalt paved trail that would connect with the Lake Ontario Trail system. The new trail will provide an additional 790 metres of trail and an accessible observation platform. An existing 1.5-metre granular trail along the eastern shoreline of the Stoney Creek Pond will be maintained.
But the trail project is only the beginning of what will be a multi-year project to rejuvenate the 93-hectare Confederation Park so it becomes a destination point for people.
The Stoney Creek Pond is near an adjacent forest and is designated as a local natural area under the city’s urban official plan.
The park attracts about 1,200 visitors a day, and about 250,000 people in a year. Collins suggests that as the park transforms into a more user-friendly area, it could conceivably see over 1 million people take part in activities in the facility.
The multi-million-dollar makeover of Confederation Park, which may include honouring the iconic War of 1812 ships, the Hamilton and Scourge, should begin later this year.

Was there today for a walk on the water. Seems fine to me as it is if you want to go for a walk on the waterfront. I won't be spending a dime on cricket, is that in crickets chirping or cricket the game? The former I'm familiar with, the later, not at all. But it's a new Hamilton, I get it.

As long as the city gets their money's worth on it for the $80 mill, whatever works. As I say, seems fine to me the way it is for a walk on the water.

This is "news"? Ok, I think I'm missing something, obviously. :roll: What's the song "I'm so excited, I just can't hide it.." :lol: :lol: :lol: It's going to bring in huge dollars to the city... :stuck_out_tongue: What's the "Grey Cup" of cricket? :stuck_out_tongue:

The "plan"? Is this a grade eight social sciences project for pete sakes? :wink:

You are right, and I am sure that there is a shortage of Cricket Fields in Hamilton.
There is a shortage of Cricket fields because NOBODY PLAYS CRICKET IN THE HAMMER!!!!

They do play it, will admit I wonder how much money the city has spent on baseball diamonds and fencing where I often see the diamonds empty, weekend after weekend. Cricket doesn't need expensive fencing, I'll give it that.

To be fair, I’m to understand Canada has qualified for the Cricket World cup the last three times and there is a decent Cricket club in Hamilton, although I’ll admit, it’s not widespread from my understanding.

Also given that a cricket pitch is 22 yards long, and the field (much like baseball diamonds) can easily overlap with other sports fields and grass (such as the soccer fields that are going up there), I would say compared to the 150 yard long CFL Field (nevermind the size of the bleachers), I’d say that the scale is much different.

Keep also in mind, a solid chunk of this money is going towards trail expansion, tree removal and replanting, building sports field and revitalizing the park, as well as opening up some small private sector development. The entire ward has held the posistion that they want this place turned into something similar to Bayfront Park and Collins has always held that posisiton.

There is a huge shortage of baseball diamonds in India and Australia too. What's being done about it?

Wow, $80 million. That is a ton of money. Here's an idea, how about they move the festival of friends here? I know it is only 1 weekend, but what a great location.

Cricket really ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow !

I think the next closest might be in Kingston, Jamaica :lol:

I see pick up cricket games being played often at the Glendale park baseball diamond.

There is a sizeable south asian community in the east end. I'm sure there's a reason why the cricket pitch is being built. I'm not aware of any in the city. Is anyone?

Ampitheatre anyone for Bayfront Park and Supercrawl? Thought I'd try at any rate.

A cricket field is 135m to 150m in an oval shape apparently
I have nothing against cricket, whatever floats your boat
I think it is great they are improving the lakefront park.
Council squeezed every nickel going into the Stadium to avoid raising taxes
Yet $80M is a nice budget for a park
I would hope it is Bayfront Park times ten because Bayfronts cost was $9M

Thank you Chad Collins for using tax payors money to try to win and solidify votes, for likely his mayoral challenge or at least his re-election bid in his ward.

There is absolutely no need for any cricket pitches. HOWEVER, given the demographics of Chad Collins' ward, this move is a brilliant political move.

What bothers me is that during the stadium debate, Collins exploited his control over Confederation Park and, based on all information in the many posts on this site, essentially vetoed the stadium at Confederation Park by getting his council members to side with him. Now Collins is going to strike gold with the cricket caper.

I just cannot believe that the long tradition of Tiger Cat and CFL football was thrown aside in terms of the Confederation Park option for the new stadium, in favour cricket pitches. You have to be kidding me. With all due respect, The "Hammer" is synonymous with CFL football and the Ticats, like it or not. No amount of spinning is going to make Hamilton the new cricket capital of Canada. I have not yet heard the usual posturing that perhaps with these pitches we can become the home of the Canadian National Cricket Team or be home to development cricket leagues etc like Toronto politicians bamboozled council and government when they sold the powers that be on the notion of BMO being the soccer mecca and thus excluding football. Heck in T.O. they even got the Toronto Nationals professional field lacrosse team thrown off the turf in order to preserve their exclusivity.

Sorry folks, but in my opinion, this is another example of Hamilton council politicians using their influence and tax payors' money for their own political benefit.

Boy oh boy does this city need limit on how many terms one can serve on council.

Elections coming soon folks, remember the Confederation Park cricket pitches at the polls when you fill in your ballot.

smokey:

You sound like every sport has to become some major commercial success to be considered for city space and money.
A cricket pitch is no big deal. It's just a grass area. No pavilions for the players or stands. Just a place to play.
I think cricket is now a growth sport because of immigration. I don't begrudge them some grass space to play a sport that has been around for a long time in many other countries in the world.
I played cricket ( and football!) in the RCAF in Ottawa in the early to mid 60's. We had a Voodoo jet pilot and many others who had never played it before. It's a great game.
I think Confederation Park would have a lousy site for a Tiger-Cat stadium anyway. But the location fight has already been won so there's little point in trying to resurrect the issue. :wink:

Never played cricket. Don't understand the rules. Not interested in it in the least.

However, why the anger? I don't see $80 mil being spent on a cricket pitch.... it's basically an open grass area with some boundary markers and what looks like a sandpit bowling alley in the middle.

Heck, throw in a frisbee golf set-up too.

Rules of Cricket... from an old poster

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

As you can see, this is FAR more complicated than baseball (from a companion poster)

You have two sides... one out in the field and one in.
Each man that is in goes out and when he is out he comes in and the next man goes out.
When three men are out, the side that is out comes in and the side that is in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
Sometimes you get men in and still not out.
When both sides have been in and out 9 times including the not-outs...
...THAT'S THE END OF THE GAME!

Personally I thought Confederation would have been a great spot for the new stadium but lets face it that ship has sailed.
I will never vote for Chad Collins if he ever runs for Mayor, as I think he started the whole stadium location debacle

But I think it would be worthwhile to continue to develop Confederation including a bandshell or amphitheatre and start using it for events such as Festival Of Friends, Ribfests, etc to bring even more people down to what is a beautiful waterfront. Burlington uses their waterfront Spencer Smith Park practically every weekend for some kind of event in the summer and draw huge crowds....so should Hamilton.

In a related story, the city is spending an additional 100 million on a tiddly winks/ping pong arena beside Hutch's.

Good thing we didn't put the stadium there. Now everyone approaching Hamilton on the highway can catch a glimpse of what this city is all about: obscure games no one cares about, and politicians who make decisions solely so they can stay in office as long as possible.

I agree that the ship has sailed on Confederation Park for the Cats but one should not lose sight as to how and why it happened.

I quite agree with points made by “friday”, but such approaches would be to creative for our city council.

As to the comment about it being only some patch of grass to play a little cricket, I can assure you that I can locate some grass patches that would be far less expensive and suit the needs of the cricket community, without it being in the Confederation Park area, thus freeing up that area to something more dramatic and dare I say (those of us old enough in this city were once proud of this word), AMBITIOUS.

Thank you council for preserving and further enhancing our beautiful waterfront park

There is absolutely no need for any cricket pitches.
Based on what?
HOWEVER, given the demographics of Chad Collins' ward, this move is a brilliant political move.
It will be used by citizens of ward 5 and others. That's the idea behind planning and developing public parks for residents. That's his job.
What bothers me is that during the stadium debate, Collins exploited his control over Confederation Park and, [b][u][i]based on all information in the many posts on this site[/i][/u][/b],
What information? if you use this board to inform yourdelf about Confederation, you are woefully uninformed.
essentially vetoed the stadium at Confederation Park by getting his council members to side with him. Now Collins is going to strike gold with the cricket caper.
Dictator Collins? It was a council decision, and a wise one IMO. Valuable public parks are not there for the taking by the likes of developers such as Osmington. They are not entitled to prime public lands.
I just cannot believe that the long tradition of Tiger Cat and CFL football was thrown aside in terms of the Confederation Park option for the new stadium, in favour cricket pitches.
I can't believe that either because it's not true. It's [b][i]one[/i][/b] cricket pitch

Where’s the hate on for the 2 soccer pitches?

Where’s the hate on for the trails?

Where’s the hate on for the Scourge and Hamilton?

Where’s the hate on for the natural forest and pond?

Where’s the hate on for our beautiful public park?

You have to be kidding me. With all due respect, The "Hammer" is synonymous with CFL football and the Ticats, like it or not. No amount of spinning is going to make Hamilton the new cricket capital of Canada. I have not yet heard the usual posturing that perhaps with these pitches we can become the home of the Canadian National Cricket Team or be home to development cricket leagues etc
Hamilton has an Ausssie rules football field, complete with Aussie rules goal posts. Is Hamilton trying to be "t[b]he new Aussie rules football capital of Canada[/b]?" What about the countless soccer pitches, baseball diamonds, hockey rinks, tennis courts, swimming pools, bocce courts, lawn bowling fields? Is Hamilton trying to be "[b]the new _______ capital of Canada"[/b]?
lSorry folks, but in my opinion, this is another example of Hamilton council politicians using their influence and tax payors' money for their own political benefit.

Boy oh boy does this city need limit on how many terms one can serve on council.

Elections coming soon folks, remember the Confederation Park cricket pitches at the polls when you fill in your ballot.

Collins does not need the votes. He is one of the most popular councilors in the city. In 2010, in a field of 4 candidates, he garnered almost 2/3 of all the votes. That’s a huge majority , especially in a field of 4.

You can total all the votes for all 3 other candidates, and Collins still had more than double that total.

2010 Ward 5 election results

Jaswinder BEDI 1220 11.87%
Chad COLLINS 6876 66.92%
Frank RUKAVINA 1512 14.72%
Dave STACEY 667 6.49%