Comparison

When we compare the 2010 Grey Cup active roster of 46 to today's roster of 46,we realize that 14 players that were on the then roster are not on the now roster; the then roster consisted of 24 imports and 22 non-imports; the now roster consists of 23 imports and 23 non-imports.

The 14 players no longer on the team, for various reasons,-retirement,releases,injured,etc- are: Leak-QB-,Cobourne-RB-,Giffin-RB-,Cahoon-SB-,Desriveaux-SB-,Hawkins-WR-,Watkins-WR-,Seagraves-T-,Duval-P/K-,David-P/K-,Brown-DE-,Fontaine-LB-,Dix-CB- and Holness-S-.In terms of positions,we then had 2 more WR/SB than now and presently we have 1 more LB and 1 more DB than then. This comparison is made only with the 2010 Grey Cup roster; I don't compare with other rosters during the 2010 season.

The departed or injured players have been replaced as follows,not necessarily in the same position:

QB-Leak has been replaced by Santos.

WR/SB- Cahoon and Watkins have been replaced by Baker and London.

RB/FB- Cobourne and Giffin have been replaced by Marc and Whitaker.

T-Seagraves has been replaced by Bomben.

K/P- David and Duval have been replaced by DeAngelis and Whyte.

DE- Brown has been replaced by Jones.

LB- Fontaine has been replaced by Spencer.

CB- Dix has been replaced by Anderson.

S- Holness has been replaced by Crawford.

SB- Desriveaux has been replaced by Ridgeway a LB.

WR- Hawkins has been replaced by Hecht a DB.

Objectively, we cannot say that the offense will not be affected by the losses of: Cahoon,Cobourne and Watkins. Defensively and,particularly,the special teams the additions of Anderson,Jones and Spencer will help. Yes,we may score less points in 2011 but me may allow less. Only time will tell!

I am confident that we will be first in the East; for the sake of it,I say that we will be followed by Hamilton,Toronto and Winnipeg.

Let's all have a great 2011 season.

Richard

I don't think Cahoon will be as big a loss as outsiders think. Green was basically splitting time with him at short-side slot last season. Jock Climie, in a harsh but fairly accurate assessment on TSN, said that Ben had become a pretty limited receiver at the end in terms of his depth of routes: he was pretty much always an underneath guy playing close to the LOS. He was no longer able to get open consistently on intermediate routes and wasn't really a threat going deep. Lastly, he wasn't even Calvillo's main target on second down; Richardson was getting a lot of those catches.

Green obviously lacks experience but is a multidimensional player whom you can move around the field to victimize specific DBs depending on the team -- we saw that in the 2010 Grey Cup, when Milanovich basically used Green and Richardson out of different formations and at different positions to create mismatches and move the chains.

So I think we'll survive Cahoon's departure just fine.

Watkins and Cobourne? Less certain, although I do think that in our style of offense, the running back will do fine as long as he pass-blocks effectively and can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. Whitaker and Marc showed good things in the final preseason game.

While it's hard to imagine Calvillo falling from grace
An objective appraisal does raise some questions
The Alouettes are said to be "stacked" at receiver
But while Watkins' status is up in the air
Richardson becomes the Alouettes only 1000 yard receiver

Certainly Green has been spectacular as he's grown with the team
His 875 yards last season still leaves him well short
That's not to say that he and the newest Als won't make us all proud
But until that becomes a reality...questions remain

Running back...despite the uniquely Alouettes perspective that maybe we don't even need one
Remains the real question mark on the offence
Whitaker's a lightweight...not hard-nosed enough for our purposes
Marc may be the answer...if he can protect AC

I'm hoping Whyte will declare himself early...and gain the confidence he needs to be the Als kicker for years to come. The rest of the "teams" look like a tragedy waiting to happen...Maypray must go...hopefully Spencer will be healthy all year.

The D's looking good....provided our new secondary doesn't have to cover receivers for those extra seconds because we can't pressure the QB aaaaand if we get an even break on those PI calls.
A solid group with one or two "worry spots" on the D-Line.

Looking forward to the season
Go Als Go!!!

As much as I loved watching Cahoon all these years and of course chanting CAHOOOOON after a reception, agree with you on your analysis of him last year. His leadership will no doubt be missed.

Watkins will be missed however the question is for how long?

Cobourne will also be missed at the beginning. But with some time, be it Whitaker or Marc should be able to do the job.

My slight concern is how long it will take A.C. to feel comfortable with the new receivers London and Baker. He only really worked with them for 2 series in a game situation.

We hear the Als practice at a game-like pace, but it is a complicated offense for receivers, so I think it might take a game or two for everyone to get on the same page.

We might have to rely on our defence to start the season, and I do feel we will have a strong defence with the addition of Anderson and with McElveen at DE.

I share your concern, but don’t forget Deslauriers, who has a lot more familiarity with our offense. It’s possible that Trestman could platoon him with London or Baker. And Richardson, Green, and Bratton will be in the mix.

These are, I think, necessary growing pains if the team wants to stay fresh and cap-friendly.

We might have to rely on our defence to start the season, and I do feel we will have a strong defence with the addition of Anderson and with McElveen at DE.
I'm a bit worried about our pass rush, but we'll have to see how it plays out. My guess is that Tibesar was holding back a lot of juicy blitz packages, not wanting to give them away in preseason. I'm hoping we do better on the blitz this season. The uncertainty created by blitzes or show-blitz looks at the line will actually help us when we only rush 4 or 5.

I

I
[/quote]
I'm a bit worried about our pass rush, but we'll have to see how it plays out. My guess is that Tibesar was holding back a lot of juicy blitz packages, not wanting to give them away in preseason. I'm hoping we do better on the blitz this season. The uncertainty created by blitzes or show-blitz looks at the line will actually help us when we only rush 4 or 5.I
[/quote]
That is a good point. The defense was running vanilla schemes in pre-season. More exotic stuff will help them to get pressure. But, in an ideal world, if they could get pressure with only the 4 front lineman, that would be great. In 2009, they were very successful getting pressure with only the 4 lineman. Last season, they had to be more creative to get pressure.

I believe that with McElveen at defensive end (instead of Stewart), the line will apply more pressure. Stewart will rotate at defensive tackle. Probably a good move. Speed/quickness is not as much a requirement at DT as DE. His technique alone should make him better suited to DT.

In defence of Cahoon
He was complaining all last year that he was open and Calvillo was ignoring him
AC was curt (to say the least) in response

Calvillo and the coaching staff seemed to be morphing towards an all-giant receiver squad
Watkins, Cahoon, and Hawkins were/are just not suited to the All-Time Passer aspiration that's at least a part of this year's (and last) focus.

Well...we've "dumbed-down" the running back position
And Calvillo has his "Giant's Dance" of receivers
Let's hope the rest of the league doesn't have the adjustments they need
To stop this one-dimensional attack

:?

I don't know if I would go as far as you do, in calling the offense one dimensional. But I agree, the big receivers are all similar. The Als offense of previous years were successful, with different types of receivers. For example in 2008, Cahoon, Richardson and Watkins all went over 1000 yards, and all are very different types of receivers. Without a Watkins type to stretch the field, I do wonder if this will have a negative impact.

Two years ago McElveen was rotated in at end.
The results were less than stellar
It's why he was moved inside
Where he proved himself to be more than competent

I have my doubts about our rush-end position
Without adequate pressure from our front four...
QB's will be sitting on the linebacker/safety blitz
And pick out defence apart

Getting Anderson did shore up our secondary
But as I said much of last year
Without front four pressure
DB's will be running around like chickens
clucking for their eggs

Yes they do have some big receivers. They also have a few under 6" ; Bratton , Bowling, Desriveaux and Watkins (whenever he gets back).

Sort of what I was looking for in the near future with Andrew Hawkins
Probably the fastest Alouette on the field last year

Unfortunately....of the four only Bratton is active

Yes, but Bowling is on the practice roster and can be activated.
Slaughter is also on the practice roster as WR and listed under 6 ft.

Desriveaux and Watkins 9 game IR.

Martin Comptois's interview with Eric Deslaurier this morning says that the Als receiver squad is as follows.

Richardson
Green
Bratton
London
Baker

Deslauriers (special teams, spare)

So when Kerry is ready to come back one of Bratton,London,Baker will lose is spot. Desrivaux becomes Deslaurier's backup...

Pretty badass group of receivers we have!

Looking around the league a lot of teams are rebuilding their secondaries and most of the DB's are giving away a lot of height to a group like the Al's receivers. Never mind the "Canadian Air Force" :lol:

BC is going to be a good test. They have one of the better secondaries in the league.

Franks and LaRose appear to be out for this game due to injuries. I watched Sanchez in pre-season and he seems to get better with age.

I don't remember Cahoon complaining 'all last year' about being overlooked. Do you have links to multiple articles where he voices his displeasure?

In any case, I'm sure there were indeed occasions where he was open and AC missed him. That happens to every receiver. I seriously doubt that Anthony or the coaches sat down and said, "Let's ignore Ben Cahoon tonight. When he's open, don't pass to him." Anthony goes where the read takes him. He's not perfect, obviously, so sometimes he doesn't make the proper read, but it's not intentional IMO. He and Cahoon are good friends off the field. Why would he disrespect Cahoon?

Calvillo and the coaching staff seemed to be morphing towards an all-giant receiver squad Watkins, Cahoon, and Hawkins were/are just not suited to the All-Time Passer aspiration that's at least a part of this year's (and last) focus.

Well...we've "dumbed-down" the running back position
And Calvillo has his "Giant's Dance" of receivers
Let's hope the rest of the league doesn't have the adjustments they need
To stop this one-dimensional attack

:?

How is our receiving corps one-dimensional? Richardson and Green can play anywhere on the field. They can run deep, intermediate, and short routes with equal effectiveness. Bratton remains the Swiss Army Knife of the offense, which can have him running fade routes, short curls out of backfield motion, crosses, end-arounds, you name it. Watkins isn't gone (yet, anyway); he's just injured. And the new guys (London, Baker, and possibly Bowling if he comes off the PR) don't look one-dimensional either.

I also don't see how we've 'dumbed down' the running back position just because we've changed personnel. In Trestman's scheme, the running back has always been a blocker first and a rusher & pass-catcher second. Trestman explicitly said that last season, when Avon was still a member of the Alouettes.

A cerebral, intelligent guy like Trestman wouldn't construct a one-dimensional offense. If he really felt that way, he wouldn't have turned Jamel Richardson into one of the top possession receivers in the league last year. Going big with our receivers doesn't mean a lack of versatility. Every QB is happier throwing to bigger targets who can create separation in traffic and win a higher percentage of jump balls on deep routes.

Further to your point, I seem to recall a point in time when Cobourne was complaining last season at the lack of touches be it from the backfield or from short yard passes.
And you are correct Cahoon and Calvillo are close friends off the field and go on golfing vacations together in the off season.