Community owned teams (Sask. & Wpg)

Your right pappa about private team ownership. We all seen what happened with the Stamps and the Gades. The difference is the Fans in the west support football whereas a few losing seasons the fans don’t in the east. I would make sure in the future you keep the franchises out of American ownership.

Don't get the issues confused. You are talking about bad ownership - bad management. There is no cure for that except to replace it with good ownership and good management. As in any business if the owner doesn't know what he is doing, its likely going to fail. My point was that if a business is properly capitalized it can withstand some lean years now and again without it continually having an adverse effect on future operations.

If Bernie Glieberman had a clue about getting the right people to run his club, he could have operated this year and last years losses would have had no impact on operations this year. However a community owned club would have had to carry that debt forward which would have restricted their ability to sign players, which would have impacted on their competitivenss ... that downward spiral.

The majority of the clubs in the Australian Football League are community owned. The owners are those who purchase a full yearly membertship ticket [season ticket]. The board etc are elected from and by the membership.

The membership ticket is not a stock certificate; it doesn't entitle a member to a dividend or any other form of return of profits, only a vote at the annual general (or extrodinary) meeting(s).

Any AFL club that has private ownership to any degree can be guaranteed to have a very low membership, unless it's owned by one of the state football leagues (SANFL or WAFL) who each own two teams.

I'd think that the clubs in the CFL could be modeled on the AFL club structure and survive, it'd be in the interest of the fan owners to be sure that they do.

the bombers have been a community team since they started playing rugby back in 1880.........community ownership has worked here for the past 146 years.........how many private owners have been around that long........

GOOD POINT PIGSEYE…and the Bombers will continue to have success…and I would attribute that fact… in the end… to the engrained support the club receives from very dedicated fans… :!:

Probably none … I don’t think Methuslah owned a franchise :slight_smile:

To EE who wrote that the riders and bombers are on the verge of collapse....maybe its because we get promised "home" playoff games here in Sask(dont want to comment on the Bomber situation cause i dont really know if they get the same promises) and catchy slogans, but we keep getting disappointed every year. Even in 89 when we won, we had to win 2 games on the road. When we did have a home game(1988) we got blown out by BC. Maybe Edmonton should miss the playoffs for 2 or 3 seasons(like that will happen) and you might see how many people turn away. I would like to attend more games (I usually go the Labour Day game), but I work the graveyard shift , and have to drive back to Moose Jaw, get home and then get ready for work. Im usually at work a half hour before shift, so night games are not a possibility, but hopefully I can get to more games this year. Yes, i will support the team, I can see the shock on those who read my earlier posts. Sask is unique in the fact that you can support the team without attending a game. We have the lottery and $250 a plate dinner(cant afford that really). The lottery is more feasible, $100 is works out to the equivalent of attending 2 to 3 home games(just on ticket prices). I really do hope the team does well, but year after year after year of disappointment wears on you and it can make you jaded about their chances. There are some rider fans who would like to go but cant afford it either. Money is tight in this province so it take quite an effort to afford going to games , cause you can easily spend $75 dollars at a game. So EE before you berate us fans, consider what a fan's ( like myself) situation is before you call us deadbeats.

do you remember the How To Books…Step One…remove your head from your arse…Step Two…your brain can now get oxygen…

Maybe we should get EE Humility for Dummies......

........why?.......it would just end up sitting next to the Eaton's catalogue in the outhouse....

well no pics of models in bras and panties in the dummies’ book…

I like the Bombers situation.. Sure we can't afford to over spend like Edm at this time, they have alot more rich buisnesses and oil revenue helping their Kitty. We can't compete with free spenders like BC, Tor Mont and Calgary, these teams are also against a cap... Gee I wonder why? Look at what the GLOBermans were paying guys over there! It's crazy.

However the Bombers have to keep working with what they have. Bomber Fans stick with their team through thick and thin. Through the Cal Murphy days and even the Jeff Reinbold days. The Good,the Bad, the UGLY(last year). If this league brings in a cap, then it will be the free spenders who whine and the Community owned teams will stay level. I also beleive that if the Bombers where in need, the fans would donate what ever the team needed.
With that said, the league will never have a cap, because when ever a Commish talks cap in the CFL, they are fired. That is what will happen at the end of this season. Can anyone say no cap next season!!

Does anyone know if the Bombers ever received money from the other teams in the league to pay of losses, like Toronto got a few years back?

$700K just last week.........for moving to the east division.......funny how that was also about what our debt was left.........

That cash wasn't for losses, that was for inconvienence... It wasn't the Bombers fault they brought back Ottawa

Good excuses. But they’re still excuses. You could always get a real job that doesn’t require you to work when the rest of the World is sleeping. Not only would you get to see some home games, but your quality of life would likely increase as well!

My outhouse is at my home in Regina. When I’m in Edmonton I enjoy indoor plumbing.

Good thing that doctors and nurses don't ever have to work a graveyard shift, otherwise they wouldn't have a "real job" ..... :roll:

You got a problem with the graveyard shift EE
I spent a total of 3 years on that shift

I love how people comment about other people's lifestyles when they don't have a clue what they do or how they live.