Commissioner Duties

There has been criticism of the commissioner's performance. I'm curious as to hear what people think are the 5 key
duties of the Commissioner in 2016. And where you would rank him in fulfilling those roles.

I'm not that clear actually of his mandate. But I'd like to see:

Transparency about improving officiating-0/5-i have not seen anything
Completion of tampering penalties- 4/5. He's done a good job in this imo
Movement towards a 10th team-unsure
Development of new corporate support-unsure
Leadership in player safety-unsure. would like to see CFL money earmarked for this.

I thought he maybe has the policy, Out of sight out of Mind.

But, I think he's working behind the scenes. I hope.

But double blue...what would you like him to work on /achieve?

The clear priority for me is to undo the mess he created last year on drug testing and get a meaningful testing program up and running. If he has to go cap in hand to the labs and the Canadian Center for Ethics in Sport and apologize? Do it. If he has to bully the CFLPA into doing what they should be on board with from the outset because it's good for the players? Do it. That fiasco never should have happened, and it happened on his watch. Get it done.

Beyond that? A plan needs to be put in place to improve officiating and improve game flow, which means challenges that take too long and drag everything to a halt. Help ensure things go smoothly with the Argos in BMO. Campaign for a 10th team (even if it's not going to happen he should still be keeping the public campaign going), and being ready to deal with whatever inevitable problems come up during the year.

The tampering regulations were a good start to 2016, so we'll see.

Some transparency from the CFL would be a refreshing change - - instead of the usual hush hush cloak of secrecy about everything.

Start with a full disclosure of player salaries.

Followed by a full disclosure of neg lists.

And finally a full disclosure of any future protected lists for expansion drafts.

It's completely asinine as to why the league insists on keeping this information as a classified secret. What's the worst thing that could happen by disclosing them?

Maybe a GM gets exposed as a bumbling incompetent for handing out a ridiculous contract? Rider Fan can likely identify with that one.

Maybe a team gets laughed at for having a dead guy on their neg list like the failures in San Antonio and Ottawa who wasted draft picks on deceased players and embarassed themselves?

how much money do you make
how much is your monthy expenses
how much do you give to charity
how much tax do you pay
how much debt do you have

Would you like to know the names of women on my neg list too?

So far because he is new and Cohon was such a positive influence to replicate I will give him a pass for now and reevaluate after this season .

1 Tampering issue he dealt with it effectively .
2 Testing for banned substances is a work in progress and he inherited a problem that boiled over .
3 The Argos situation so far has been refreshing but I give credit to owners , Copeland and Moore and I think
them leaving to help the Argos is a smart move to the leagues credit in hiring them in the first place .
4 Officiating for me is the speeding up of officiating replays to help game flow are the biggest issue which can be
fixed easily . Off sides for example is a player discipline problem which is rectified at the coaches level .
5 Canadian player development at all levels is crucial to future expansion , exposure of the game to young
people and developing that tradition both in family and community settings will impact the game at the grass
roots level which needs to be enhanced . Whether this is by video games , flag football , building fields , paying
for equipment and insurance it needs to be done to entrench the game in the Canadian sporting culture.

[b]Hank01 wrote:[/b] Canadian player development at all levels is crucial to future expansion , exposure of the game to young people and developing that tradition both in family and community settings will impact the game at the grass roots level which needs to be enhanced . Whether this is by video games , flag football , building fields , paying for equipment and insurance it needs to be done to entrench the game in the Canadian sporting culture.
Well said! :thup: One aspect of gridiron football I really like is that it brings together, perhaps more than any other sport, participants with quite a variation of body types and working together as a team. I think this is a real positive for the sport of football and really allows for more kids to be involved with sport that might not otherwise get involved. Also many of the skills can be learned much quicker at an older age, I would say, for kids compared with say hockey which requires skating of course that can take many years and baseball with hitting and of course basketball and soccer with dribbling. In football, you can teach anyone who likes contact how to hit someone and bring them down to the ground in a fairly short time. I'd like to see the commish doing public speaking engagements about the positives of putting kids in football programs, especially those that aren't involved in any organized sport.

I think any parent who puts their kid in football now is whack . I think it is a sport on the way out I'm sad to say. Relegated to race car drivers. Just too risky.
We should do a poll

But auto racing is still popular from many angles and that is a very dangerous sport as we all know. It's a huge spectator sport even though there are very few young kids (of course very young kids can't even drive a car :wink: )involved in the sport at a competitive level.

Niche and not widely practiced. But yes watched.

Niche sports, yes, can be watched by a whole lot of people.

Your right Aerial it is an everybody sport . Look at the size of players in the CFL from skinny to fat , to tall to short , to non athletic to beast mode and to dull to smart .

We have everyone here . The kicker , lineman and quarterback are so very different but require a select skill set that anyone can achieve later in life . It really is an equalizer sport for those people left behind in hockey and other sports.

There is also variations of the game like flag football that get participation for those not inclined to physical punishment or computer gamers who would appreciate a CFL game version .

Lets hope that he can capitalize on reinvigorating the CFL brand to our young people .

The way high schools and colleges here in the States are spending millions of dollars building new football facilities and modifying older ones I doubt your "way out" comment.

Perhaps. But Pop Warner football enrollment is down 9.5% by the last poll numbers.

Over 1.1 Million boys played high school football last year and the number of high schools with football programs increased from 14,000 to over 15,500. There are many more kids that try to play college football than there are roster slots. Organized football really starts at the ninth grade level when you can play Junior Varsity and then move to the varsity squad.

Probably directly proportional to birth rate...

And look at Canada where football isn’t even that big compared with the States. A large university like Laval understood what not having a football program mean’t, for one players in Quebec that wanted to play university ball after high school bypassed Laval since they didn’t have a program and that is a fair number of students and money for the university, and after some years not only brought the program back but brought it back in a significant way.