Commissioner Cohon speaks re: CFL outlook

Probably, but who cares?

Yes the TSN rights will be coming up in 2012 and I'm sure the league will have to negotiate a much higher amount. With Ottawa coming in it means MORE games being broadcast. The only problem is that there is no competition here in Canada. TSN could say, we are not paying you any more money and the CFL would have no choice but to take it.
CTV owns TSN and Sportsnet and I'm sure the government broadcaster doesn't want to get involved. Not sure about Global, if they can afford it, they dropped the NFL a couple of years ago because it was too expensive.

I am sure the “new” fans might but for the most part i am sure your right i forgot they are shrinking the stadium so we just need to keep the die-hard fan happy

Right now I believe each team gets $1.8 from the tv deal. I don't know if it is reasonable to assume the deal with double, but if it could $3.6 mill will go to each team, a decent chunk of that payment. If they play there cards right I think they will still be profitable.

We have been very fortunate to have the skybox experience for a few Blue Jay and a raptor game. One of our friends, has a business and rents one from time to time.

Buffet food, drinks, TV's in the main room and seats out in front. And no one passing in front of you constantly in search of a beer. No long waits or walks to the bathroom either. It was always a great time. The kids really loved it.

Not sure if more or any of these treats are in the plans for the new and improved IWS. Yes, that would also improve Bob's bottom line.

CTV / Bell owns TSN
Rogers owns Sportsnet

the last time the CFL tv contract was up for grabs, Global was prepared to make an offer worth more then what TSN was offering, but the CFL felt TSN was a better partner to grow the game.

and CBC was also looking to make an offer, but CFL was not impressed with the way they broadcasted the games in the past ( not in HD and without commentators for a period in 2005 ). the CBC responded to the loss of CFL programing by overpaying for MLS soccer and are not getting a fraction of the ratings they were expecting. i’ve read they will not renew with MLS again…

so, i expect the CFL to get offers from Global and CBC again.

We should all care. Money is tight in most homes these days and going to get worse. The TiCats aren’t selling out IWS so price sensitivity has to be considered a factor. Ticket and amentity prices will go up in IWS2 especially given its smaller capacity.

I recall reading the same article. and how Global was quite upset they went with the lower bid. i suspect one of the reasons TSN has stepped up its CFL covereage (draft, dwayne fords canadian, top 50 players, top tens, ect), has been to showcase how much exposure they are giving. i could see TSN gettin the bid again with more money, and with an agreement to show playoff games on CTV.

MLS was a bust. more people go to the east final in montrea then watch soccer on CBC.

I recall reading the same article. and how Global was quite upset they went with the lower bid. i suspect one of the reasons TSN has stepped up its CFL covereage (draft, dwayne fords canadian, top 50 players, top tens, ect), has been to showcase how much exposure they are giving. i could see TSN gettin the bid again with more money, and with an agreement to show playoff games on CTV.

MLS was a bust. more people go to the east final in montrea then watch soccer on CBC.

TSN has done a fantastic job of promoting the CFL.
Draft, Preseason Games, Friday night Football,double headers,feeds to NFL network, Playoff games,etc.
TSN has done more to promote and sell this league than the CFL has!
You would have to admit the league made the right decision selling the rights to TSN.
Only 2 teams failed to break even or make a profit.
They were Toronto and us.
This league is very sucessful in all other markets.