Commissioner Cohon - Honey- Moon over with Owners

exactly

Notice how pressbox drops bomb then runs!!! Troll!!

Maybe he’s Mark Cohon :wink:

Its been a day since pressbox made the post…lighten up and give a few for a response as the poster has responded to other posts made.

Gladly respond to CRF admin

1st happy to hear that DoubleBlue’s rumblings are all taken care of :slight_smile: and.HfxTC really hits the nail on the head with his postings . I started my post off wondering if others had also heard anything about Cohon and his relationship with the owners and or BOG? I have had these concerns voiced to me from a couple different channels a) seasoned ticket holders who,have contacts thru business, professional, friendships with staff of some of the clubs I mentioned and ones that were not . B) media industry people . My question was to see if others have anything to add to what I have heard.

With Cohon’ s position I think at least we can all agree that he will not get the credit due for all the good that May come out of these negotiations and he will catch all the flack for the compromise that the owners will give to the players to save face
Wether big or small ,looks like a catch 22 position , again ask Wright or Lysco - History has a way of repeating itself - especially when you have some of the same owners and BOG still around leading the charge .

I have total respect for Cohon, if a deal can be done with the CFLPA and get everything on time.

Otherwise dump the guy IMHO. Then you may as well just put some dummy in the position as CFL commish and Cohon isn't a dummy and therefore should just move on as they say.

I’d agree with that. Look at Gary Bettman. He gets loathed for things the NHL owners want him to do. If it goes south, the commish is the fall guy. Comes with the job. Bettman has stuck around so long because he’s popular with enough of the NHL owners - even if the fans don’t like him, he’s accomplished what they wanted him to do.

CFL owners are pretty notorious for getting rid of people, though. So who knows.

Cohon looks like a "pretty boy". Bettman not so much.

This is very interesting as we are witnessing a non "major league" in this situation, things are a bit different I would say therefore. A precedent of sorts perhaps? :?

If I'm Cohon, I don't think he's paid more than half a mill, stick by your guns and let the owners shoot you out to dry if need be. He'll get another job making what he does I'm sure. He's no dumb bunny and has been around the block a bit.

So you presume to know what Cohon personally believes is right, that it is contrary to the marching orders he has from the owners and that he should disregard those instructions. THAT would be a HUGE obstacle to getting another high level/paying job.

Didn’t cause too much problems for Tom Wright, who’s making seven figure as President of UFC Canada.

Seriously Cohon is his own worst enemy.

FACT OR FICTION:

"We have offered to add 2 players to the game day roster, this will extend players careers by 2 years" Mark Cohon
He takes people for idiots.

Don’t recall Tom Wright disobeying instructions from the owners, especially as publicly as during a CBA negotiation. That is what would deter future employment options and what is the logical inference from suggesting that Cohon should “stick by your guns and let the owners shoot you out to dry if need be”.

I think Cohon is doing what his boss (BOG) are directing him to do. Just saying that when they fire him (every Commissioner in the last 20 to 30 years has been fired) by this bunch, I doubt it will affect his future employment prospects. I do doubt that the owners directed Cohon to take his fight to twitter and if they did they deserve what they got.

I totally agree with you that he is doing what the owners want, and that will not impact his future employment. I was responding to EARL seeming to know what was in Cohon’s head (?) and essentially suggesting that Cohon force the owners to fire him by not doing what he was told.

Don’t really follow twitter, but was anything said that wasn’t released to the press in the conventional manner.

The CFL signed the deal 1 year before the Rogers deal and at the time it was considered a huge win for the league. Should also point out that the CFL did have conversations with Shaw and the CBC to see what type of market they were looking at. So I find this really hard to believe as the owners new all of this was going down and no one expected the Rogers NHL deal. At the same time that NHL deals now guarantees that the next TV deal for the CFL will be massive.

The League wanted to start talks earlier, it was the PA that wanted to wait, can’t put that on Cohon or anyone on the league’s side. As the old saying goes it takes two to tango.

That’s not on Cohon or the League that’s on the individual owners, in 2012 due to the massive revenues being the 100th Grey Cup season the owners allowed $1 million to be spent on Southern Ontario. Bob Young spent his half holding events and dinners outside of Hamilton to regionalize the fanbase and Braley spent his on sponsorship galas and investing in youth football programs. Aside from that the league didn’t want to put in more. However starting this season due to the league receiving an additional $3 million (their portion) from the TV deal, the owners have mandated that some of it be put into Southern Ontario to help fix the market.

Had Hamilton built the stadium at Confed park or even Longwood Aberdeen, they’d be in a much better situation.
Had C+S delivered on their stadium promise or had Peddie not nixed any idea of the Argos in BMO, the Argos would be in a better situation.

bomber empire wrote: Had Hamilton built the stadium at Confed park or even Longwood Aberdeen, they'd be in a much better situation. Had C+S delivered on their stadium promise or had Peddie not nixed any idea of the Argos in BMO, the Argos would be in a better situation

And the head honchos at Rogers are laughing in their pants, or most likely peeing in their pants from laughing too hard. Mind you I think in time THF in Hamilton, where it’s situated, is going to be a gem, I mean an excellent stadium in an older residential area. That’s sort of cool even if it isn’t the best spot “money wise” in Hamilton. Character on this one perhaps. Braley wanted it at Confed Park but he’s not the most flexible dude nor someone who could see “beyond the bushes” albeit he loves the CFL. I just don’t think he’s always right with comments about Canadian football, with this one the perfect example. He should be saying let’s see what THF can bring in light of what is what is most “obvious” a stadium next to a four line highway.

Highway and better public transportation access was needed, especially with over 50% of the Ticats fanbase coming from outside of the City.

We will see in time if it "was needed". Live in Hamilton, I live near THF, there is a lot of cool aspect living near the Niagara Escarpment and below it and musicians and others are moving from Toronto to this area, not above the escarpment in the big family burbs. Wife and myself, for example just took a walk on Lake Ontario today at Confed Park, we live in Red Hill, not far from THF or Lake Ontario, we were tickling ourselves for what we paid for our house and basically able to hang out on the beach for the day in the Golden Horseshoe and be so close to home, a 7 minute drive and a one hour walk home. And Mt Albion and Felkers Falls on the Bruce Trail a stones throw away. Friggin cool! London, ONT, where I grew up, and Toronto is completely boring to this believe me, for diversity. For the price point in housing. And I haven't even touched upon trails in the Dundas Valley Conservation Area or rail trail from Ancaster to Brantford, or all the other falls over the escarpment in and around Hamilton, or bayfront. A jewel this area is in the most populated part of Canada.