Command center consistency

I have been terribly disappointed with the Command Center consistency in what they review and when (not so much with the decisions on challenges although some have left me scratching my head wondering what they saw or didn't see). I have seen them send corrections to the field on calls that were not challenged and yet they have not stepped in on things shown clearly on television that were called incorrectly on the field. This goes beyond the automatic reviews of turn-overs or potential scoring plays.

3 Likes

100 % agree. There needs to be transparency with command centre decisions and actions.

Anything that happens behind the curtain of command without explanation makes their decisions seem like they are favouring one team over another.

2 Likes

SECTION 3 β€” COMMAND CENTRE REVIEWS

Article 1 – Automatic Reviews

The Command Centre will automatically review the following situations:

• Scoring and potential scoring plays
  • Roughing the Passer called and non-called
  • Grade 2 Roughing the Passer
  • Roughing/Contacting the Kicker called and non-called
  • Grade 2 Spearing
  • Plays where a turnover is ruled to have occurred as a result of a fumble lost or an interception
  • Called penalties that are not coach challengeable penalties
  • Called line of scrimmage fouls to ensure the correct penalty is applied
  • Major Fouls that occur after the play is over
  • Called Illegal Contact and Defensive Pass Interference fouls to ensure the correct penalty application not whether or not the penalty occurred
  • Where a penalty should be applied from
  • Whether the clock is showing the correct time
  • Where officials disagree or are uncertain on how to rule in a play situation
  • Spotting of the ball only to correct egregious errors
  • Plays when the Injury Spotter stops the game to remove an injured player to determine if the injury was caused by an uncalled penalty

The Command Centre will review all other appropriate Standard Reviewable Rulings during an Automatic Review.

The Command Centre will never review Coach Challengeable Penalties during an Automatic Review.

Article 2 – Command Centre Initiated Reviews

Following the 3 minute warning in the fourth quarter the Command Centre will review each play for Standard Reviewable Rulings. If the Command Centre wants to review a play, the Replay Official will notify the Referee to stop the game.

The Command Centre will never review Coach Challengeable Penalties during a Command Centre Initiated Review.

1 Like

Why not plays that actually were interceptions but ruled as incomplete? They rule on any potential scoring play why not on any potential turn-over that the refs screwed up on? Only if it is a turn-over? Seems biased to me.

1 Like

Agree. Potential turnovers and turnovers should be reviewed.

Since the teams only have 1 challenge now the league should consider this change.

1 Like

Yes. The current system is obtuse. It somehow slows down a game that is not that fast to start with.
NRL Rugby with is a fast game that is probably the most similar rugby format to football uses an (singular) off field official. In the time it takes for the ref to hear the ruling from the command centre in the CFL they do video review.

What I like most is they play the communications between the ref and the truck. It's totally transparent unlike the CFL system. The next best thing is they use the stadium video display for replay for the on field officials. Totally transparent.

Best of all when the ref says "player x on the last play" and the review comes back with yes no or look at this. Then if needed replay the angle that shows the play the best and let your head referee make the call.

2 Likes

The TMO system in rugby is so much better... keeps the officials on their toes too.

1 Like

They get this right for the most part in other sports like hockey, rugby and soccer though there are less types of calls to review.

You would think ALL referees and video review officials take the same course from the same instructors, but it sure does not show that way and the coordination is often sloppy so as to cause unnecessary delays.

Yeah, it’s kind of, like who they want to help win maybe ?

Like a few others have been thinking, in this mass legal betting world it's only a matter of a shorter amount of time before this shoe drops when they botch a call or non-call even with video replay.

Thread title should be "Command Center Inconsistency".

No just leave it as an oxymoron.

Not do much favoring one team but just plain wrong

Narles... this thread appeared under 'most recent'. Did I wander into a Ticats thread again or am I okay to comment here?

Reply wherever it is most convenient for you. I am just ranting and would welcome some sympathetic viewpoints. :wink:

2 Likes

Okay.

I was both amazed and grateful when Adam Bighill levelled that hapless Montreal reciever out of bounds and we didn't get a penalty. Replay after replay showed an obvious boo boo on our part but no punishment was forthcoming. Only then did I exhale.

THANK YOU CFL Command Centre! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

The official is 5 yards away staring at that play and no flag... useless zebra.

2 Likes

you think a seahorse would do any better?

1 Like

only a blind pregnant seahorse

2 Likes

Bighill will get his undisclosed fifty dollar fine on Monday after review.

3 Likes