Collaros ruled out in OTT

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/10/17/ticats-qb-zach-collaros-misses-practice-status-friday-doubt/]http://3downnation.com/2016/10/17/ticat ... day-doubt/[/url]

[b][i]Ticats quarterback Zach Collaros will not play Friday against the Ottawa Redblacks, head coach Kent Austin said.

The 28-year-old has been out since an Oct. 1 loss to Calgary that saw him get driven to the turf by Stampeders defensive end Charleston Hughes.

With Collaros unavailable, Jeremiah Masoli will get his eighth start of the regular season. He threw for 278 yards on 25 of 32 passing, three touchdowns and two interceptions in last Friday’s 30-29 loss to Ottawa.

In other injury news, Canadian receiver Andy Fantuz missed Monday’s session, as did right tackle Terrence Campbell.[/i][/b]

Kayla-Marie Williams
?@kaylamarieTO
Coach Austin confirming after practice that Zach Collaros will remain out on Friday against Ottawa due to concussion protocol. #Ticats

Ottawa hasn't had to play against Collaros since 2014. That's the beauty of the schedule-makers insisting that the only possibility is for Hamilton and Ottawa to play each other back-to-back.

I'm more concerned about going to Ottawa, perhaps without Andy than I am about knowing Zach won't be ready to play.

Andy's probably taking a "Veteran's Day" - he's certainly earned it...

Dyakowski did the same last year, and pointed out that this way the backups get more reps in practice.

Lets hope Zach gets back soon and healthy again. In the the interim for the next game against Ottawa, Masoli is the QB, so I hope he gets the right amount of practice before hand with the new receivers Chiles, Elliott and so on especially if Fantuz is out.

In the last game it was either a few of Masoli's passes or the routes run by the receivers were out of synch, hopefully they will get this corrected and bring a good, imaginative playbook with them and a solid team effort all around.

GO CATS GO!!!

Interesting... I'm more concerned that this is apparently the third concussion (brain injury) that Collaros has suffered while in the CFL.
That, of course, does not include brain injuries that he may have suffered during his NCAA career and before.

Third? Did he have one when he was with Toronto? I don't remember that.

Looked to me like he hit his head on the ground pretty hard with about 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. I hope he doesn't have a concussion too.

I believe so... Rick Zamperin reportedly recently that this latest concussion is Collaros' third.

Update from practice

NOTES: SAM linebacker Keon Raymond, hurt in practice Monday, didn’t practice Tuesday and Kent Austin said he wasn’t sure if he’d be ready for Friday in Ottawa. If he isn’t, the Ticats will be using their fourth SAM in four games . . . Andy Fantuz, who didn’t practice Monday, took part in a few drills Tuesday, “and I think we’re going to be okay with Andy? (for Friday) Austin said.

Matthew Scianitti ?@TSNScianitti 4h4 hours ago
Collaros on concussion:“Want to stay symptom-free.I just want to play” Following #Ticats med advice. Not playing,but will travel to OTT #CFL

steve milton ?@miltonatthespec 4h4 hours ago
In "lesser' #Ticats news: Andy Fantuz will play vs #Redblacks; Keon Raymond will not; Kevin Elliot will play. #CFL

Well, some good news anyway. Let's keep Andy healthy, and it will be good to see what Kevin Elliott can do in the Cat's offence. Be a change of pace for the Ottawa D at least.

Tough to be without Collaros again and not having Raymond is also going to hurt as he played pretty well considering his short time on the team. I’d really hoped to see Zach vs Hank in one of these key games.

Andy is one of the few remaining healthy starters in the receiving corps and having his veteran presence and savvy on the field I think is very important. Wouldn’t it be great if he played the whole season as he hasn’t been able to do that since he arrived in Hamilton although last years injury was totally flukey! AND he fell just a few yards shy of hitting 1000 for the season (about 8 I think) so I’d love to see him achieve that this week.
Coming back with the win ( and wiping the smile off of Hank’s face!) of course is the main goal - and it isn’t going to be easy. Hoping that Masoli and the replacements can play lights out and knock out the OTRBs!

Deep down I don't think Zach is coming back this year and if he does, how effective will he be? Im not sure , with all the knowledge we now have about head injuries, that he should ever play again for his long term health. He really needs to have a serious talk with Dunigan who went through this exact same issue. A football career is relatively short.
Here's hoping for the best for him personally.
I think at this point with this team as it exists today, I'd rather he sit out until next year and be totally symptom free (head and knee) over the off season.

Time to start looking for a new starting QB. Zack is fragile and masoli is to inconsistent.

Really hard to disagree with that.

I don't believe the knee is 100% - at least psychologically - and another blow to the head now (with our patchwork quilt of an O-Line it is a distinct possibility) could be career ending.

I assumed he was having shoulder issues, ever since the second September game against Toronto when he took a real beating. Before that game he was throwing as well as he ever had, and ever since, well ... not so much.

Until we get a coach that wants to develop a run gamel and take some of the pressure off the Oline and QB I doubt we will ever get a full season out of Zach or any QB for that matter. The constant beating they take game in and game out is unreal