Collaros leads Bombers past Lions to close Week 5

VANCOUVER β€” The Winnipeg Blue Bombers took a 43-22 win over the BC Lions on Saturday night to improve to a perfect 5-0 to start the season.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/09/collaros-leads-bombers-past-lions-to-close-week-5/

Winnipeg simply outplayed BC at every asspect of the game. So much for the prediction experts who overwhelmingly picked BC.

3 Likes

I predict that prediction experts will be weighing in with their expert predictions shortly. They're soooo predictable. :grin:

3 Likes

Well, that settles that. We have a definitive answer on who is #1 I'd say. :smiley:

2 Likes

Pretty good attendance figure

ATTENDANCE: 17,603

1 Like

[quote="pantsonfire, post:4, topic:79143"]

Well, that settles that. We have a definitive answer on who is #1 I'd say. :smiley:

[/quote]Agree totally with you...but we both also know the contingent of stampeder fans will have a differing opinion. I mean really, most of them deny that the bombers are back to back champions and have untold proof as to why they are correct
4 Likes

As much as I was hoping for a Blue Bombers victory, thought under the circumstances with the short week, travel and the way the Lions have been playing, figured this was a game that BC would win but the Bombers were clicking on all cylinders and were full marks for the victory and I have a feeling they couldn't care less when they hear media and fans alike talking about how bad they are and lucky to have the wins they do. No two years are the same but as a fan of the Bombers, I'd take playing (so called) badly and a 5-0 record than teams that are apparently so good and under 500.
And, BC had their moments as well and in my opinion, have a great young QB and this is a team that should go on and have a great year.

5 Likes

the tests will not just be regular season matchups with the Bombers, Calgary and Saskatchewan, but what these teams can do to win in the playoffs. It don't matter for nothing if you win the regular season match ups with a particular team that team beats you the playoffs... Bomber are looking good for threepeat right now.

1 Like

Absolutely, as fans we all understand its important to get points early in the season but its late in the schedule when you hope your team is playing its best. Its always great to finish first but maybe even more so this year with the Riders, Stampeders, Lions and Bombers all looking to have strong years. There is also a part of me that wonders if the team you cheer for doesn't finish first, perhaps finishing 4th and playing in the cross over might not be a bad thing:)

3 Likes

WE might actually see a scenario where teams throw a game or two to get 4ht place crossover in order to have a far easier playoff situation.
If that happens maybe finally the cfl will fix the stupidity of the perpetually weak east. This might be a year where the 4th place team in the west has a better win loss record than the first place east team

1 Like

Well BC comes back to earth, not a crash landing but a hard one nonetheless. Like Sask, TO, & EE this year they got knocked down early, but unlike the others they got back up to deliver some blows before the bell. That shows some character & grit to me, so my optimism remains undiminished. This is a far superior team to last years Lions. It's humourous to me that, with a single loss on the season, we drop to 4th in the West, but have as many wins as EE & the whole East combined.

4 Likes

Collaros is 22-1 as a Bomber, not including the game vs the Stamps where he only played 1 drive.
22-1.......That is just crazy. If only he could play a full season though, right?

4 Likes

I see what you did there😁

3 Likes

Honestly, he has surpassed any expectation any fan could have had. As soon as he came the identity of this team just changed into one that knew it was our time, and I don't think they're quite ready to give that up yet!

4 Likes

I just hope he never gets another head injury. The guy got very lucky when he got to the bombers and the bombers were very lucky he got there too

6 Likes

For sure. It was a perfect fit for both sides!

2 Likes

I think it would be a better idea to have teams ranked by their standings rather than how they perform in their division. At least the Grey Cup would be a battle of the 2 best teams. However the CFL, unfortunately, are stubbornly committed to a league with 2 divisions. They need the fan base in the east (not that it is significant) to help finance the league. One division and those Eastern team fans would all but vanish because their local team wouldn't have a chance to get to the Grey Cup . I seriously doubt that anyone with the power to change it, will make any attempt to rectify the very weak Eastern Division. And besides the Eastern rep has won the Grey cup in the past with a worse record than the some of the Western teams, especially when the game is played in the east. As for the crossover team winning a trip to the big game, it has never happened. Not in all the years there has been a crossover. That is just a consolation concession move by the league to appease those who see the flawed division idea.

In all the years there has been a crossover no team that made that trip has represented the East in the Grey cup. Having to play all the playoff games down east with very little or no fans in hostile territory many time zones away is too hard on the 4th placed Western team.

Calgary

Bombers made a statement on that game!
It was almost like the Bomber defence got a rest that game and the offence was over played.