Coin Toss for playoffs

I saw that the tenth tiebreaker for playoff standings is a coin toss. Does anyone know if this has ever been used to determine a playoff standing. If not, does anyone know the maximum number of tie breakers used. Here are the tiebreaking procedures off of this site

1. has won the greater number of games played against all member Clubs of the League or,
  2. has won the greater number of games played against the other tied Club(s) or,
  3. has scored the higher net aggregate of points (i.e. points scored for less points scored against) in games played against the other tied Club(s) or,
  4. has scored the higher net quotient of points (i.e. points scored for divided by points scored against) in games played against the other tied Clubs(s) or,
  5. has won the greater number of games (or percentage of games) played against all member Clubs of the Division or,
  6. has scored the higher net aggregate of points in games played against all member Clubs of the Division or,
  7. has scored the higher net quotient of points in games played against all member Clubs of the Division or,
  8. has scored the higher net aggregate of points in games played against all member Clubs of the League or,
  9. has scored the higher net quotient of points in games played against all member Clubs of the League or,
  10. has won a coin toss against the other tied club.

I believe I have seen the tiebreaking rule 6 implimented, but no further. anyone else?

no, unless you count the movie "Friday Night Lights".

I hate ties, that's the reason I want the OT loss point or something like it back.

wouldn't it suck if the playoff were decided by a coin toss???

Highly unlikely that it would ever happen besides the OT point can cause as many ties in the standings as it can break

If the teams are quite honestly that closely matched, a coin toss at some point of the season to determine which end they defend or something like that probably got them to that point, so it seems fitting that a coin toss would determine who is in the playoffs.

Besides, if you go through all those tiebreakers, what's left to decide which team is more deserving? Ranking of cheerleaders? :wink: But seriously, what else could you use to determine it?

Last year's series between the two teams. I know it's not that good, but still better than a coin toss.

Actulally they have losts of options
Most yardage offence
Most TD’s scored
Most field goals
most first downs

What do you guys have against the cheerleader option? :slight_smile:

Okay, good points. Quite honestly, my brain shut off after reading the first few tie-breakers, I don't think I completely comprehended what they were.

And to build on your options, you could even make some defensive ones, like least yardage allowed, least touchdowns allowed, etc.

I'm actually surprised that they're not included prior to the coin toss. But I guess if it's never gotten past #6 on the list, maybe they're just really not required.

Simplified: 0. League Match Points 1. League Wins 2. Tied teams Wins 3. Tied teams PF-PA= 4. Tied Teams PF/PA= 5. Division Wins 6. Division PF-PA= 7. Division PF/PA= 8. League PF-PA= 8. League PF/PA= 10. Coin toss
Honestly, especially in the CFL, getting farther than #3 can't really happen - how often do two teams have the same exact number of PF AND PA in gridiron?

I think that tiebreaker 1 should actually be moved down…in all tiebreakers, the tied teams should be first, with the division tiebreakers next for non-wild card spots, and the league tiebreakers in the wild-card spots.

I have a bit of a hangup about using aggregate or quotient in season series as a tiebreaker - we don’t want to encourage a team to run up the score, even though it still happens.

What I’d love to see is an odd number of games played against every team (1 or 3) or a mandatory overtime when two teams have the same record in the season series. This won’t work right now though.

The coin toss only happens in lower level sports and - I remember once in a FIFA World Championship (I think Youth) last year, one group’s runner-up spot was decided on a coin flip.

well, their were no ties in the three seasons it was used. and if you look at “My Standings”, there are no ties.

When was the last time the was even a tie?

2004 (if you just count the points as I do)

but using the series is great, but I don't know those results.

That can happen quite easily, where Team A beats Team B by 3, and then Team B beats Team A by 3, and the two teams end up tied after the regular season. If that’s the case, it drops down to #5, since “Tied Teams PF/PA” would be equal as well.
Some of these are in here to break ties between more than two teams.

The only way that will come into play is if one team has two ties. A team with a 10-8 record finishes better than a team with a 9-7-2 record. Usually if league match points are equal, league wins are equal as well.