Cohon Says There's No CFL Without Tranna?

noone says tranna.

its torono

tranna sounds like a spider...if your gonna mock toronto, get it right!

noone says tranna
we did in the 70's

What is he supposed to say? "The CFL will be completely fine without the Argo's." and then completely alienate the Argo franchise and fanbase? Honestly from a fans perspective, attendance in pretty well every other market will not be affected by the Argo's leaving, but since Toronto is the biggest city in Canada, it would hurt more from a sponsorship angle.

I want to know how come you only post in doom and gloom threads berezin, not even a mention of that amazing video the CFL marketing crew put out last week? Probably the best video the CFL has put out from a marketing point of view that I've ever seen and not even a mention from you.

Watch this video and then tell me the CFL is not doing it's best to promote and expand the game within Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jCfg7Qxc

Yah take that berezin

So if Toronto gets an NFL team in the next 10 years, suddenly Argo fans will STOP going to Argo games and the team will fold because attendance at Argo games will only be a few thousand (or less) people?

Riiiiiight.... :roll:

That's pretty insulting to all the people who go to Argonaut games at Rogers Centre.

Even if by some crazy miracle that happened, hey, who cares. We'll have Ottawa back in the league and probably Quebec City OR Halifax. (or at least we'll be closer to adding Quebec or Halifax than we are now)

Then we'll finally have our dream of a 10.. er 9 team CFL!

Hey people. Don't shoot the messanger.
I just reported what Cohon spouted.
And I disagreed with him.
In fact I think its ridiculous that he would say that publicly.
And this is a discussion group.
Whats to discuss about a video?

So if Toronto gets an NFL team in the next 10 years, suddenly Argo fans will STOP going to Argo games
some might, but more likely, the flow of new fans will start to dry up as young people and immigrants get sucked into the NFL hype.

I quote "Cohon should be promoting the league across Canada"

I think the video that came out last week that is amazing is doing just that.

It's funny how these stupid threads talking the doom and gloom and about everything the league is doing wrong gets so many posts yet the threads that truly deserve the attention like the one I pulled that video from is already on the second page.

You know, we can discuss the GOOD things the league is doing too, right?

The NFL has been trying to bring football to Toronto for years without CFL cooperation some say blame them some say no but I don't see argo's drying up and blowing away if NFL comes to town. they both have seperate seasons. how many provences have hockey and cfl! there's room for everyone play on boys!

how many provences have hockey and cfl! there's room for everyone play on boys!
totally pointless arguement. In this situation, you cannot compare any other sport league to NFL.

NFL is big in USA.
It is not a world game.
It is not popular around the world.
The world cares little for American/Canadian style football.
Its successful because of the size of the country its popular in. But outside of its borders, its just another sport.

And as an aside, Rich Griffith, a baseball guy for the Tranna Star, wrote about minor leagues that the NHL has the AHL, "Football has the CFL and ARena league".

Nothing worse then a baseball guy taking shots at real sports, eh?

That right there is exactly what they want people to think

Its gonna seem rather brutal and cheap to say this, but I think that Quebec City group that one of our members (Chief?) had a thread on a few weeks back has the best shot of landing stadium financing, much more so than even Asper and the redevelopment idea in the 'Peg. They’ll get money, whether its a Conservative or Liberal government, not really to promote the ‘Canadiana’ of the league the way fans feel about it, but for political purposes; to promote the Federal Government in a region where the Cons in particular are starting to make inroads into BQ support. The Hunt group if it needed money as well, could join with the QC folks in a similar pitch: emphasizing that they’d promote a bridge between english and french heavily in Gatineau and the Francophone community in the capital region generally.

The NFL is not coming to Toronto and the Argo's are not going anywhere. It's just not going to happen. They are doing this to attract more fans and revenue for the Buffalo Bills franchise. The Bills are banking on some dummies from Toronto spending there cash, which Buffalonians are failing to do. You have as much as a chance of landing the Bills as the U.S. has of landing a CFL team. The media is out to lunch. Speaking of the NFL, L.A. the second biggest city doesn't even have a football team. Americans would be pissed at Goodell if he even thought of putting a team in the NFL. Toronto couldn't handle an NFL franchise, thats the bottom line. No way would the NFL accept the Rogers Centre as a stadium, for a couple games yes, not for a season. L.A. in order to get a team is going to have to build a new stadium.

The CFL would be fine without the Argo's anyway. Yeah the really packed the house the other night 30,000 :roll:

You always, always want to try and keep a team in Toronto. But quite honestly, I think it is Toronto that will continue to WANT to have a team in the CFL. Sure, there are many NFL fans there but so are there everywhere. Toronto knows that as long as Buffalo has an NFL team, they won't be getting one and the Blue Jays could be in trouble down the road without a baseball-specific stadium. And the Argos have so much history and tradition there, even if they don't have the following they once had.

Toronto knows it wants the CFL, they know the value of the Grey Cup in Canada - and an NFL team, I think, is a dream as long as Buffalo has a team in Buffalo which looks good for a while for a number of reasons. Toronto does want to win the Grey Cup and have football bragging rights in Canada, don't let some media stories for a minute make you think otherwise.

Hi folks. Matt Maychak here. I’m V-P Communications for the CFL. As Mark was about to board a plane to Montreal for the Als’ opener tonight, he asked me to do two things here on his behalf. 1. Thank you for your passion for our league. The CFL is strong because of it. 2. Ensure you know the context in which he made his remarks about the CFL and Toronto. Mark has been enormously busy promoting our league. He has, in many ways, been leading a positive campaign on behalf of our league, centered on the “This is Our League? theme. He has been attending as many of the teams’ home openers as possible, talking with fans, meeting with media and political leaders. Just yesterday, he gave a speech to a gathering of our largest sponsors, in Toronto. In a recent meeting with the Toronto Star’s editorial board, Mark spoke about our league’s strengths, including the highest attendance in 2007 since 1983, strong television ratings everywhere including southern Ontario, stable and committed governors and/or owners in every CFL city and, of course, you -- a loyal and knowledgeable fan base. When asked about the Bills’ series in Toronto, he urged the media to keep it in perspective. He said this year, for example, will see one Bills pre-season game in Toronto, which has happened before, and one Bills regular season game, in December after the Grey Cup. He pointed out that the Bills and, recently, the NFL Commissioner have said their goal is to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He suggested that not only is it foolish to suggest the sky is falling when it comes to the CFL, it’s infinitely more accurate to say the sky is the limit for our league’s future. In that positive context, he also said the CFL needs a strong and vibrant franchise in Toronto, which is home to many of our television viewers, headquarters for many of our corporate sponsors, and the base for so much of the media that cover us. He stressed how strong the Argonauts are as a franchise, and the tremendous work they do in the community. Mark’s message was pretty simple: Not only are the CFL and the Argos here to stay; they’re destined to grow even stronger. Anyway, my apologies for the long post. But I know Mark takes our fans’ views seriously, and he would want you to know more about what he said, and the context in which he said it. Thanks again. p.s. I don’t know about you, but I decided to stay up until the end of the Stamps-Esks game. It was so exciting, I was really glad I did, but now I’m going on about four hours sleep. So if there are typos here, please excuse them.

Hi folks. Matt Maychak here. I’m V-P Communications for the CFL. As Mark as about to board a plane to Montreal for the Als’ opener tonight, he asked me to do two things here on his behalf. 1. Thank you for your passion for our league. The CFL is strong because of it. 2. Ensure you know the context in which he made his remarks about the CFL and Toronto. Mark has been enormously busy promoting our league. He has, in many ways, been leading a positive campaign on behalf of our league, centered on the “This is Our League? theme. He has been attending as many of the teams’ home openers as possible, talking with fans, meeting with media and political leaders. Just yesterday, he gave a speech to a gathering of our largest sponsors, in Toronto. In a recent meeting with the Toronto Star’s editorial board, Mark spoke about our league’s strengths, including the highest attendance in 2007 since 1983, strong television ratings everywhere including southern Ontario, stable and committed governors and/or owners in every CFL city and, of course, you -- a loyal and knowledgeable fan base. When asked about the Bills’ series in Toronto, he urged the media to keep it in perspective. He said this year, for example, will see one Bills pre-season game in Toronto, which has happened before, and one Bills regular season game, in December after the Grey Cup. He pointed out that the Bills and, recently, the NFL Commissioner have said their goal is to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He suggested that not only is it foolish to suggest the sky is falling when it comes to the CFL, it’s infinitely more accurate to say the sky is the limit for our league’s future. In that positive context, he also said the CFL needs a strong and vibrant franchise in Toronto, which is home to many of our television viewers, headquarters for many of our corporate sponsors, and the base for so much of the media that cover us. He stressed how strong the Argonauts are as a franchise, and the tremendous work they do in the community, Mark’s message was pretty simple: Not only are the CFL and the Argos here to stay; they’re destined to grow even stronger. Anyway, my apologies for the long post. But I know Mark takes our fans’ views seriously, and he would want you to know more about what he said, and the context in which he said it. Thanks again. p.s. I don’t know about you, but I decided to stay up until the end of the Stamps-Esks game. It was so exciting, I was really glad I did, but now I’m going on about four hours sleep. So if there are typos here, please excuse them.

...thank you for that update Matt, the posters here will appreciate your message and the knowledge that Mr. Cohon is working hard to promote our league...

...I too stayed up to watch the end of the stamps-esks game, and even longer then as I waited for the stamp's chartered jet as it made it's final approach into the Calgary airport and when I was sure the entire calgary defensive backfield could see I mooned them....

...could you tell me where Mr. Cohon stands on Calvin Bannister, #19, of the Stampeders, I mean, does Mr. Cohon think Bannister's coverage a) was bad, or b) was really bad, or c) plain and simple s.ucked, or d) managed to actually s.uck and blow at the same time....thanks....

hah!!!

R&W, a tad upset are we? :wink: