Cohon Admits Saturday Playoffs A Mistake

In the Globe and Mail today, in William Houston's articel, Mark Cohon admits moving the playoffs to Saturday has attributed to lower ratings for the playoffs. And that this will be reviewed for next year.
What gets me is the playoffs were moved to get away from the NFL? Like, why is the CFL worried about the NFL when it does bigger numbers, and much bigger numbers in the playoffs?
ME thinks Cohon has bought into the hype from know nothings like DAve Naylor and Stephen Brunt and William Hosoton, who have been declaring the CFL dead for the past six months.
I mean these guys stretch the truth to try to prove thier idiotic theories, that never happen as they predict.
Cohon should quit listening to these Hogtwon hacks,
It appears Cohnon is running this league like a scared rabbit, and you don't succeed that way.
Don't worry about the effin NFL Cohon. It ain't the squat in this country.
And to those who ragged on me for saying how stupid moving the playoffs to Saturdays was, I forgive you somewhat.
Here's the link to the article:

[url=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081115.wspt_truth15/CommentStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home]http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... tball/home[/url]

Speaking of stretching the truth... nowhere in that article does Cohon say playing the games on Saturday is a mistake. All he said is it'll be reviewed... As he mentioned in the article, the reason the East was down so much was because there wasn't an Ontario team.

(On a side note, I was happy to see the author rip the new play-by-play guy for the Raps. If I hear him say JO or J-Killah one more time, I'm going to drive to Toronto and bitch slap him. I miss Chuck.)

I personally think that Cohon has done a really good job with the CFL. I don't mind having playoff games on Saturday at all, I actually think it would be great to have one game on Friday night. I see no reason why the games need to be on a sunday, I won't lie I don't like having to miss NFL games to watch CFL games. In my books the more football I can watch the happier I am, I don't like to have to choose. To be honest I would chose to watch NFL over say a Bombers Ti-Cats or Argos game.

Yes go back to Sunday, it's tradition and the No Fun League is NOT competition like that Huston pro NFL guy keeps saying.

Nowhere in the article does Cohon admit that it was a mistake moving the game to Saturday...

Well boone, I can honetly say sometimes, maybe a lot of times, it's easier on the ticker to put on an NFL game rather than watch a CFL biggy game if you're team is out. That's why sometimes in the spring when my Habs are out of the playoffs, I actually might watch a Blue Jays game than a meaningful NHL playoff game, just easier to take really.

So if at the beginning of the season,
the playoffs were scheduled for Sundays,
why did they move them mid way through the season?

TSN will be hard pressed to come even close to last years Grey Cup ratings on CBC. Not only will RDS steal away french speaking viewers, TSN's reach is only 9 million homes, compaerd to CBC's 13 million homes.
Meaning a potential 4 million households will be shut out from watching the big game.
Tom Wright was quoted as saying he didn't think this would affect CFL Grey Cup numbers? Losing 4 million houselholds?
No wonder TSN was able to hoodwink this guy like a hillbilly in the big city.
I mean alot of casual fans are not going to be able to access the game.
Meaning lost viewers.
The Grey Cup has to be on a free over the air channel with the largest reach possible.
Handing the whole kit and kaboodle to TSN is turning out to look like a dumb move by the CFL.
The CFL has relegated itself to second class status on TV, and it was all their own doing!

:roll:

Yet this year CFL ratings are up? yeah TSN will kill the CFL right?
Why is everyone calling the end, people who watch teh CFL will get TSN or they will find a way to watch the games

Yeah sure.
TV ratings were up to around a 400,000 averge.
But if you wanna get 4 million viewers for one game, you;re gonna need the casual viewers
who only watch football once a year.
And with TSN's limited reach, youre gonna lose alot of viewers.
Meaning ratings will be down.
Showing the Grey Cup on cable only shuts out alot of potential viewers, meaning less advertising revenues.
Sure CFL fans will watch this game, but the CFL forgot about the casual fans.

Most sports fans, who would be the kind to watch the Grey Cup have TSN. The people i know who woulent watch the game are the people who dont watch sports ever and dont even know the game is going on.

When did people get this sense of entitlement... Why are we suddenly owed everything... :?

I think Cohon gets a jaded view of the CFL in the Toronto bubble. He needs to get away from the Toronto media campaign and see the league from a western or Quebec point of view. The Bills have virtually no impact or interest outside of Toronto. He must remember that Naylor, Brunt and others work for the Globe & Mail, whose parent company CTV is the host broadcaster for the NFL in Canada and they use their vast TV, Radio & newsspaper chain to promote that league over the CFL. The sky is not falling and the Bills playing one or two games in Toronto does not mean the end of the CFL.

Does anyone think that maybe CBC is doing something wrong? They lost the CFL, they lost the Olympics, they got rid of the HNIC theme song. It seems to me CBC is making some poor choices when it comes to sports these days.

Personally, I'd rather wait and see what happens next year. There's no question that a big part of the drop was from not having an Ontario team in the playoffs. Let's wait and see what happens in 2009. If we still see a drop, then maybe it is a mistake... But if there isn't a drop, then I guess it was from not having an Ontario team, and maybe a few people forgot about the new date.

Saturday games suck!
I have to take a day off work to watch the Play-offs! It's bush league!
Bring back Sunday games!

If you read the article, the reason the game got moved is not because of competition with the NFL. It was because of NASCAR.

Does anybody realistically, think that the CFL and TSN were going to come out and discuss the move to Saturdays and blame it on NASCAR after what happened with a single regular season game moving to TSN2. Don't fool yourselves, this had less to do with the CFL's fear of NFL then it did with NASCAR broadcast commitments.

Personally, don't like watching the NFL games that much so I was able to enjoy the NASCAR championship race.

If you read the article, the reason the game got moved is not because of competition with the NFL. It was because of NASCAR.

Does anybody realistically, think that the CFL and TSN were going to come out and discuss the move to Saturdays and blame it on NASCAR after what happened with a single regular season game moving to TSN2. Don't fool yourselves, this had less to do with the CFL's fear of NFL then it did with NASCAR broadcast commitments.

Personally, don't like watching the NFL games that much so I was able to enjoy the NASCAR championship race.

I lost around $200 because of this... I left work at 10 o'clock...I still put in 4 hours at work but lost out on 6 hours... Saturdays are time and a half so 45 X 6 =$270!!!!
Not that bad really ...they tax the hell out of me.