Coe released by Calgary

I don’t think he has ever played linebacker…
Hopefully we will see him back at the position he is best at…back up DB and special teams guy…

I suspect Anton McKenzie will go to camp as #1 on the depth chart, but the job will be decided then, not now.
I imagine there will be several candidates fighting for jobs at linebacker.
And Kitwana may not be one of them…they may seriously be looking at him as the starting rush end.
He played there first game of the season last year and was not out of his depth.
I do hope they find a starting job for him though, because all the guy does is make plays when he is on the field.

Regarding January, he is almost guaranteed to start at tackle.
After that trade, if those “backups” are cut in TC, it will not play well in the minds of the fans.
Right now we are being sold on that trade because January is a stud and will anchor the line for the next decade.
How will it look if he gets cut in TC?
So unless he is a total dud, he will start for us.
Look how long Henri Childs lingered around wasting a roster spot, and we had far less invested in him than we do January.
Even Flemens is likely pencilled in to start at defensive end, but the hype was mostly regarding January.

Anyway, briefly on the thread topic, Coe would be a good pick-up, and he is only 28.
However we aren’t really looking a NI starter at linebacker and I think he will be looking for some team that wants him as a starter.
If he can’t find that, then we might be interested…

As for whomever thinks Coe quit last year in the play-offs, as far as I know, the guy likely shouldn’t even have been on the field at all given how badly hurt he was.
You might question his judgement in trying to go if he couldn’t, but not his integrity.

I might question your judgement. So no one can pencil in a player at at LB but you can pencil in January now? I know what you were trying to say but if it walks like a duck … Arius is right. You can pencil in January … and you can pencil in McKenzie(one of the Riders best kept secrets) too folks.

kel

While, Tillman will be hoping that January and Flemens, will be able to start. I don't think he is even stupid enough to keep him around if he can't cut it. The fans have had their say about how terrible the trade was.

Nobody is going to seat there and watch January being pancaked and say well you know if we only had Joseph. They will be watching to see how good Crandell can be and praying we never have to use one of the young guys.

Coe would be great addition to the riders if we could afford him. He is better then most of the Canadian Linebackers we have now and can start.

[quote="Mikejth"]While, Tillman will be hoping that January and Flemens, will be able to start. I don't think he is even stupid enough to keep him around if he can't cut it. The fans have had their say about how terrible the trade was.

Typical Mike BS. Saying this. I don't think Tillman is even stupid enough. You nothing about January. But you say he will get pancaked. You know nothing about Flemons. But you say he may not make team. You know nothing about who they will draft with number 1 pick from Argos. Just like most of us fans dont know. You say Rider fans have had there say on trade. Does that mean we know more than our coach and gm? Last year our say was losing Nate Davis and Omar Morgan and Jackie Mitchell and Davin Bush would kill our team. Remember?

When CFL cap numbers come out. We will see who is stupid. You. Or man you call liar about cap. Tillman said $50,000 over. You say much higher. We will see.

I didnt like trading Joseph. But you act like you know more than our gm about January. And about Flemons to. Remember this Mike. You said Tillman was bad hire. You said Austin was bad hire. What happened last year?

Mike if they win again. Will you be happy?

Austin why don’t you just go crawl into your glass of kool aid. I responding to the comment that Tillman will keep January and Flemons around just to prove the point.

In terms of last year, I fully expected and wanted the riders to win it all. I believed that they had it in them. I didn’t believe it was a rebuilding year.

Did the riders make some bone head moves last year, yes, did they make some good move yes. Could we have been better yes. Could we have been worse, not unless Tillman and Austin got rid of more veterans and starters.

I questioned the defence last year at the beginning of the season, yes it was weak and proved to be very weak when one or two key veterans were out. Have they upgraded on defence this yes, we improved the secondary, but looks like the front 7 is a little weaker. So defensively, I would say we are in the middle of pack again. We will have some good games and some bad games defensively.

Kool aid? Im happy with most of what Riders have done. Not everything. But with 12 wins and Grey Cup Im going to wait and see on Joseph trade. Since Austin and Tillman got here you always find something wrong. Something with everything. In 4 months you will tell us everything Miller does is wrong.

January and Flemons may be good. I dont know. You dont know. Thats the real point. You dont like Tillman. So you have decided this was a bad trade. Just like you said Austin was bad hire before he coached 1 game.

You couldnt wait on cap numbers. You had to call man dishonest. Now you cant wait on trade. There may be nothing to hide from. Crandall may play good. Jyles may play good. Tate may play good. Same for January and Flemons and draft pick.

You didnt think 07 was a rebuilding year. What would you call it Mike. If Calgary finished 9-9 and was $700,000 over the cap? Would they be rebuilding? Or should Hufnagel be EXPECTED to win it all? Not even Stamps fans EXPECT that 1st year now. And Stamps have no cap problems.

I think January is going to be one hell of a good offensive lineman.... it may not be this year, although I do expect him to be very strong this year. But definately solid for years to come. We need a good corp of young offensive lineman. O day and Makowsky aren't getting any younger.

Austin everyteam cut veteran players last year or didn’t re-sign them. You seem to think that the riders were unique and special being in that situation.

Any team that is 9 - 9 is not going into a rebuilding year. IMO a rebuilding year is a year where you are saying we have no chance to win and we need to rebuild the team from the ground up. The only place we rebuild was the secondary and the part of the running game. But then given the number of running backs out there, it doesn’t take much to bring in 2 or 3 backs to try out. Which is what they did with Russell, Bracey, Cates, Childs, etc.

The secondary was almost completely new with 3 of 4 new full starters required.

In terms of Calgary being competitive this year. I fully expect them to be in contention and they have a good team. The question will be defense for them, can they fix it fast enough. They have added some good players through Free Agency. Anybody who is writing them off is seriously under-estimating that team. Just as Austin took a good team on paper but were also rans, Hufie can take a good team on paper and convert them from also rans.

07 certainly was not a rebuilding a year, though a few people seemed to want to believe that.
EVERY team had cap problems in 2007, not just the Riders, and Coe's release, and Thurman last year, among others, proves Calgary did and does in fact have cap issues.
We keep hearing about the "Miracle Worker" for cutting 7-800,000 in salary, but nobody seems to care that that amount was only a couple hundred thou higher than most other teams--we don't actually know how much a team like BC or Calgary spent--and less than some.
Edmonton was only 200,000 less than us, and they were in a full blown rebuilding year.
So yes, ET did a very good job.
But it was hardly miraculous.
But I hear a lot of "ifs" this year.
"If" January is good.
"If" Flemens is good.
More "ifs" in my mind this year than last year, with of course the big elephant sized "if" being Crandell.
Sure we let 9 vets go last year for a variety of reasons.
But at the beginning of last year, not one rookie started for the Riders in 2007.
Every player on the starting roster was either a returnee from 2006, or a veteran player brought in from elsewhere.
Not very many "ifs"
The only rookie that started for us all year was Chick.
A very low number of rookies for any team, but certainly that is not a team that was "rebuilding".
And we are not rebuilding this year either.
But we definately have some key positions that are big question marks.
Last year, the only real ? was at RB.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm … DB’s?

kel

Ummmmmmmmmmmm ... DB's?

kel

Are you asking what a DB is, or do you have a point…?

Oh…wait…I’m sorry…you think our DBs were a ?
We knew before TC started last year who the starting DBs likely were.
And “we” were right…with the addition of Airabin Justin, and a years experience under the belt of Clovis, Johnson, and Frazier, plus Ron Robinson, our DBs looked very solid at the beginning of the year.
As one would have expected.
And they played outstanding.
It was injuries that decimated the backfield last year, with every starter missing several games and at times I think we were missing 4 guys…out of 6…when you need to start Chatman and Kornegay, then you had problems…

So, ummmmmm…not DBs…

Yea DBs buddy… I questioned them at the beginning of the year so I really don’t care if you did or who did…but I have a sneaking suspicion many would agree that Hamilton and Calgary’s cast-offs were a massive question last year.

As much as I agree with a lot of your posts, the anal-antagonist role that you’ve fallen into has sure become ugly. To the point where no one on here is immune from a spat w/you. But maybe more crushing to your ego, quite frankly, they don’t care or pay attention to the great ideas and obvious knowledge of the game that you have and that I have enjoyed at times. I’m a lot like you buddy. I have my shortcomings and darned if everyone can’t see them here. LOL. I wish you’d realize that you are likely the most knowledgeable and resourceful Rider fan on the forum, and to get all bent out of shape(don’t deny this) over some football facts and opinions is just taking away from that. We can see it man and no one hates you but lets keep it that way before you enter my realm. Just accept it for what it is(an opinion) and move on.

kel

Thats me trying to level with you man

kel

That’s fine.
I didn’t think “ummmmmmmm…DBs” was a particularly insightful or useful response from you and responded accordingly.
I then proceeded to explain why DBs was not a major issue going in last year. Not for me at least.
Now if you care to dispute that observation by me, then we can have a discussion.
If I had simply said, “ummmmmm…not DBs” as a response–and believe me, I considered that–then where would the discussion go?
Instead, once I spat out my annoyance at your response, I actually chose to dignify it with a full response.
Lucky you, right?
Obviously, lots of people did think the loss of Morgan and Bush was going to be a serious blow.
I have absolutely no problem with discussing any of these issues with people, and having an honest disagreement on a variety of points.
Sports wouldn’t be very entertaining if everyone agreed about everything, now would it?
I do however encourage people to at least make an attempt to back up an opinion with something more substantial than “ummmmmmm”.

As for the rest, maybe my sarcasm was unwarranted. Maybe it wasn’t. I can see how maybe I went a tad too far in that response. And fair enough for you to chastise me in that instance if you feel in any way put out.
But generally, I think it might be safer for you to keep your pseudo psychoanalysis to yourself.
And I believe we have had that discussion before.

If I promise never to fight with you, will you please, PLEASE stop hitting "enter" after every sentence. Your posts are the hardest on the board to read, and that includes SanduskyOhio's ALLCAPS and Thryllin's creepy sig/pic.

Yes I do have to apologize for not giving you more than ummmmmmm. I was feeling lazy but I didn’t mean to offend or confuse. Your last line was about the DB’s and I just had the one comment about that particular post. MY bad.

As for the keeping the psychoanalysis to myself … these proceeding observations are documented on the threads for you to step out of the box and see for yourself. Lately, I don’t know if you would agree, but I have not seen a single post that you have agreed with or commented on without some sort of contention. After you present your thesis, you proceed to tell it the Arius way, right or wrong, to preserve your reign as the most knowledgeable fan around who has the correct information or opinion. Thats great! In fact, I just complimented you for the info about the history of the Rider names on another thread. However, people don’t need to be corrected every time they slip up a bit. If people want to believe misinformation on a forum, I hope you can agree that thats their problem. Everyone has heard the adages and warnings about believing what they read.

But more importantly than ALL of that and the main point I’d like you to realize for the future is … We all know that you are a great resource and a nice classy guy to boot, but the insecurities rear their face with every post and I personally don’t think you should be insecure at all.

I am insecure about a lot of things including here on the forums. I’ll be the first to admit it! LOL. But you are not me and nor would you ever want to be! I think the best thing about you is that I feel you have read and understood all of my past posts. Thanks again for listening and the class you display, cheers man.

kel

Can we take this stuff to private messaging, please, and get back on topic?

edited - off topic

Hmmmm…assuming that is directed at me, I think you are right…about me over using the enter button…no one is as annoying as Sandusky…
Honestly, I had no idea it was an issue…either that I was doing it, or that anyone cared. I blame it on the annoying limitations of these tiny little boxes they make us type into. I do not do it after every sentence. And most of the time, I am thoroughly unaware I did it
And sometimes it is deliberate as just now.
Done to accentuate a point.
But clearly, I have developed a bad habit. Generally, I have abysmal typing skills to begin with, so my apologies. Shouldn’t be too hard to break…maybe I’ll take up smoking instead…I need to stop using these damnable ellipses so much also…I blame RedandWhite for that one…but as I enjoy sparring with you Artie, I will attempt to do better.

Which fascist edited my post? There are 15 pages of garbage on the Rob Vanstone thread and you pick on mine for being off-topic? Yeesh.

And Arius, thanks. If I didn't care I would not have mentioned it, but that style makes them very hard to read.