Cobourne

Avon could not have played in the sixties, he would have complained about the leather helmets :lol:

The TSN review this eveing was interesting. Dunnigon was praising the running of Cobourne. His remarks that Cobourne was
a "finisher" and ", when you would ask for two yards he would give you three"were valid. Videos on Cobourne certainlly demonstrated that he would make great moves often through ( not around ) the defenders. Cobb, it was noted, spent much of last season looking for a hole while Cobourne would make his own holes. Green is gone- the pretenders to the throne (Cobb and Green) didn't impress the panel nor some of us. I think Bernard has the running skill for the single back system. He was great for Winnipeg in 09 but, what about his blocking ability????

It is beginning to look that the pretenders are are still pretenders and, the Als have let go Cobourne who was the ideal back for this team- running, receiving and blocking. The replacements- a second string Al, a runner who stops and looks for holes, a washed up NFL 34year old NFL vet and, a proven runner whose blocking abilities have yet to be defined. To Bad!

Jesus, people, it was day one of training camp. The TSN panel is just saying what's easy for them to say. I don't remember any of them ever being this effusive about Cobourne when he was an Alouette, but now that he's gone, suddenly the sky is falling for us. :roll:

Let's wait until the team actually plays a few games before we rush to judgment. And for the 100th time, Cobourne left because he wanted more money, not because the Als didn't want him back. He was the third highest-paid back in the league, they offered him a raise, and they guaranteed his starting position, which rarely happens. Avon took the higher base pay in Hamilton. So let's stop pretending that Jim Popp somehow blundered here. Players leave for salary reasons. It happens.

This is the salary cap era and these things are going to happen. I trust that Popp has been through the grind and not only knows how to build a winning team but keep it together.

Look at Calgary - lost Anderson, Browner and CFL lineman of the year Archibald.

Sitting in traffic this morning worrying about who is going to protect A.C., It kind of hit me that an excellent candidate might also be Dahrran Diedrick.

He has the body as we see on special teams, and while never really given a chance with the first stringers, has never looked out of place in his limited appearances in mopup duty.

Key words in bold. It's much easier not to look out of place when all you're doing is carrying the rock in the fourth quarter of a game your team has already won.

Diedrick is also too old to be the starter (32); if he were going to be more than a ST body in this league, it should have happened years ago. Also, from a ratio standpoint it would be a nightmare. You make him the feature back and suddenly you have to either find a quality NI backup or be prepared to juggle your roster in any given week if he's injured.

Can't argue with your reasoning other than the backup could be the American RB, they could even alternate.

So I guess Im going to sit in traffic worrying on the way home, as I just dont think Whitaker is physically capable of protecting A.C. a full season. Defences aren`t stupid and will be exploiting this potential weakness with their blitzes.

are you sure you are not on the Als staff if you are sitting in traffic thinking about who is going to protect AC ?! :smiley:

I get what you’re saying, but I doubt Trestman would be amenable to splitting RB duties. Our offense is very complex, and whoever’s in the backfield has to be 100% on top of his blocking, running, and receiving assignments. I can’t see Trestman & Milanovich choosing to break in not one but two starting tailbacks in a year when we already have some flux with Cahoon retiring.

I just don`t think Whitaker is physically capable of protecting A.C. a full season.
Sheldon, you've expressed this opinion a few times now, and I'm curious: what about Whitaker makes you think he isn't 'physically capable'? Is it his size? He's listed at 5'10'' and 200 lbs. Cobourne is listed at 5'8'' and 205 lbs. Not much to choose from between them in terms of height and weight.

The listed heights and weights we can take with a grain of salt. Whitaker just seems slight and Cobourne thicker.

Im also basing it on how Cobourne was an excellent special teamer and potential linebacker during the golden age of the Popp coaching regime. And of course Whitakers infamous missed block, whether he was completely to blame or not.

Perhaps I`m obsessing too much on this. If Trestman has shown confidence in Whitaker and if Green was let go (they could have kept him around to heal), then maybe Whitaker will surprise me.

And it is only Cobourne`s blocking that concerns me. Whitaker, Cobb, and Bernard are certainly better runners.

Ideal, take a deep breath and then exhale. TC just getting started. There will be time for them to work them out and see who will be the better man.

Just exhaled a bit!

From Radio Canada`s website today:

"Bloquer avant de porter

Les porteurs de ballon qui souhaitent succéder à Avon Cobourne ont eu un avant-goût de ce qui les attend. Ils ont participé à leur première véritable séance de blocage du camp.

Ils devaient bloquer un secondeur qui s'amenait avec un élan de plusieurs verges.

L'entraîneur-chef Marc Trestman a bien aimé ce qu'il a vu. « C'est un exercice de solidité (toughness). Tout ce qu'on voulait voir aujourd'hui, c'est s'ils étaient prêts à se mettre le nez dans l'action. Et ils l'ont fait. »

Le favori pour succéder à Cobourne, Brandon Whitaker, s'en est assez bien tiré.

Plusieurs se rappellent qu'il avait été montré du doigt quand Anthony Calvillo a été blessé sur un sac du quart l'année dernière contre les Blue Bombers"

Trestman knows Calvillo is his meal ticket. He would be foolish not to make blocking a priority for the running back. And Trestman is not foolish.

Don't forget, whoever wins the starting job will have had the benefit of open competition for the position since day one of training camp. Very different from spot duty as a backup behind an established feature back. Whitaker will probably get the majority of the reps. He'll be a lot more familiar with the blocking schemes, check responsibilities, and formation shifts when the season starts.

Another thing: I disagree with the notion that Cobb, Bernard, and Whitaker are unquestionably better runners than Cobourne. Cobb works better in space, but Avon hits the hole quickly with a lot of aggression. And Avon has certainly proven himself to be a better runner than Whitaker or Bernard. Not saying the latter two can't step up and prove themselves, only that we don't really know how they'll run the ball until we see them on the field.

Only thing is none of them seemed to have cut themselves with this exercise...

[quote="disciplineandpunish"]Don't forget, whoever wins the starting job will have had the benefit of open competition for the position since day one of training camp. Very different from spot duty as a backup behind an established feature back. Whitaker will probably get the majority of the reps. He'll be a lot more familiar with the blocking schemes, check responsibilities, and formation shifts when the season starts.

You make a good point here.

I can't recall the source but, I read an article today which quotes Trestman as saying that ( re the single running back system) his sole criteria for this back is blocking for Calvillo. The coach has running/ receiving as non essential for this position. I would infer that the offence this year will feature pass, pass and pass. Do we need an import for this position? Over the years some teams have successfully used a Canadian for this role. Matt Bertrand of the ESKS is a prime example of this. I would therefor infer that Cobourne, who bitched about not being used enough last year, most likely made himself very dispensible when he asked for a raise.

Incorrect. Trestman said that before anything else, the back has to be able to protect the quarterback. He never once said that running or pass-catching is non-essential, or that blocking was the only measure of the player's ability. He merely said that blocking is the most important skill for a running back in our system.

I would infer that the offence this year will feature pass, pass and pass.
No offense to you, but that's not much of an inference. We've been a pass-first team since Don Matthews took over. Trestman and Milanovich make no bones about passing first.
Do we need an import for this position? Over the years some teams have successfully used a Canadian for this role. Matt Bertrand of the ESKS is a prime example of this.
Bertrand is a fullback, not a running back. The RB still needs to be able to run the ball.
I would therefor infer that Cobourne, who bitched about not being used enough last year, most likely made himself very dispensible when he asked for a raise.
Oy. The team [i]wanted[/i] him back. They offered him a raise and guaranteed him the starter's job months before training camp. Do you guarantee a player a starting job if you don't want him around? Cobourne asked to become the highest-paid running back in the league in terms of base salary. We couldn't accommodate him, so he made a business decision to go to Hamilton. Why can't people just accept that these kinds of player moves happen and not try to infer management motives without any kind of credible evidence?

Discip/punishment: I just made my comment and, it seemed a minute later you commented on my comment. You are, without doubt the most frequent poster. Do you sit by your computer all day?

:lol:

I'm a graduate student, and as such, I work a lot from home, so when I'm on the site, I can reply pretty quickly. :smiley:

You are a great Al fan thats for sure and, you have a great knowledge of football. I enjoy your posts. Lots of luck with your graduate study.

Back at you, friend. I appreciate the perspective you bring as a fan who remembers many of the great Alouette players of the past. I've only really been a fan for the past 10 years (I grew up during the dark ages of the Montreal Concorde and wasn't following sports at all during the '90s). It's nice to get perspective on the franchise in the long term. :slight_smile: