Cobourne is going to have a big game

I have a feeling this is gonna be a chance for Avon to go big!!

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-offence-looks-to-sink-boatmen]http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-off ... nk-boatmen[/url]

After the Ticats offence seemed to be in a second half slumber against Calgary, they will look to revive their attack against a group of Toronto defenders that are near the bottom of the league in yards allowed per game (8th) and points per game (7th).

Of the 419 yards from scrimmage that Toronto is allowing per contest this year, a large chunk of that has come on the ground. Toronto has been getting punished at the point of attack as opposing rushers have sliced through open holes to the tune of 129 yards per contest, which equal the worst rush defence in the league.

“I’ve seen what has been done against that defence, hopefully we get the same output,? Ticats running back Avon Cobourne said with a confident tone

I would like to see Avon get the ball 15-20 times this game.

The key to establishing Cobourne is success in the short and intermediate passing game. The Argos like to take away the deep ball and force you to be patient putting together long drives. If Glenn is on the mark with the ball, Avon will have plenty of room to operate. I also want to see Avon used more as a receiver, as we had a lot of success against Toronto with Whitaker in that dual role.

All that said, Steinhauer might have a few tricks up his sleeve that none of us have seen thus far.

Some praise from Cobourne's former understudy, Brandon Whitaker:

“I took advantage of learning from Avon. He’s the best running back in the CFL, in my eyes, and being behind him for three years learning from him, helped me out with my game a lot.?

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/E ... z1UfvLgnBY

Come on Grover.

It's Cobourne. Call him Deuces. Call him AC. Call him whatever you want. Just don't misspell his name. I never usually correct people's spelling mistakes. But my favorite player besides Double Jay? I can't just let this slide.

Mods? Can you fix this please.

I call him money. Did you know Deuces holds the Big East Rushing Record? Best football player out of WVU of all time IMHO.

Watch the Avon show Saturday night. Mark my words. He is due.

It is quite possible that Cobourne will have a great game, the kind of game that will remind us why the Als were outbid for his services. They will also be missing Kevin Eiben, but it's expected that Anthony Cannon will be ready to play again, according to this article: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story ... rgery.html

I have to agree with that, and it has seemed to me that Cobourne has been somewhat underutilized at times this season. I'm not sure why there haven't been more screen passes thrown to him, and I thought he should have more rec. yards, but that could change on Saturday. We can't be 100% sure what to expect in Steinauer's first game as DC, but there has been talk about their D being more aggressive in this interesting article here: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/05/st ... -of-argo-d

We have seen what screen passes can do against an aggressive D in Calgary last week. And it does seem as if the blue team D can't easily be stretched. You take what they give you, and so it would make sense to me that Cobourne will be relied on to play well.

It'll be interesting to see what Steinauer does anyway. The firing of Garber seemed like a knee-jerk reaction at first, but perhaps it could be seen as a promotion of Steinauer. Then again, in that article I posted a link to earlier it was said that Barker "gave some thought on having Steinauer serve as the team’s defensive co-ordinator, but thought it would be unfair to place the rookie CFL assistant into that high-pressure, high-profiled position." So he seemed to flip-flop on that. How well will Steinauer do? We'll just have to wait and see. For now, it's hard to imagine their D being that much different.

While they haven't thrown a lot of screen passes to Cobourne, I know they tried to throw two to him last week and he was "tackled" by the defender before the ball could get to him. And don't forget the big screen pass he had against the Als. I think the team is trying to get him the ball on some screens, but they've just been hit or miss.

They may have tried throwing it to him, and I know it hasn't always succeeded. I just expected more passes to be thrown to him.

Last season, he caught 64 passes for 556 rec. yards, as you can see here: http://ticats.ca/roster/show/id/812

He has caught 16 passes for 150 yards this year, and while that may not be bad, I expected more than that. But I can see that changing on Saturday.

I wish I still had the article, but I remember reading somewhere that he was told he wasn't going to get the ball thrown to him as much as he had in Montreal. I don't remember what the reason for that was, but I remember reading it, nonetheless.

But I agree, I think they will attempt to get him the ball more through the air, especially now that Bruce is gone.

OOOOPPPSS!!!!!, Sorry all :oops:

Thankyou mods

I remember that too. I think it was a TSN video piece on Avon a few weeks ago. I remember being surprised to learn that the Cats weren't going to be throwing him the ball as often. With a back like Avon, you want to get him the ball in as many different ways as possible. He catches passes very well and is quite adept at racking up yards after catch.

I remember that too. I think it was a TSN video piece on Avon a few weeks ago. I remember being surprised to learn that the Cats weren't going to be throwing him the ball as often. With a back like Avon, you want to get him the ball in as many different ways as possible. He catches passes very well and is quite adept at racking up yards after catch.

Is anyone surprised? The Cats have more weapons than last year and need to use each and everone of them to become a better team. I hate to say it ............ don't be surprised if Toronto kicks our butts big time. Marcel has not instilled the killer instinct or the finish them off attitude yet. If it rains - the new TO running back could have a field day. I hope not, but a desperate team is more inspired than a team that is unsure of some the basic fundamentals of football. Like I said I hope not. Stay tunned.

We hear so much about Cobourne and his abilities, I just wonder why the Cats dont give him a chance to run out the clock in the last few minutes. MB said before the guy was a money guy, he gets the yards when needed. Too bad he doesn't utilize his running abilities more at the end of the game.

15 touches, 97 yards. :thup: