Cobb/Jones with the Als

Je suis tout à fait d’accord avec le fait que nous devons maintenant regarder les joueurs qui vont tenter de prendre le poste. Et je me souviens des bons mots que Popp a eus pour Emmanuel Marc aussi.

J’ai justement regardé ce jeu de Whitaker contre Winnipeg hier. Whitaker était dans une position où il devait bloquer deux joueurs en même temps. Il a raté son bloc mais il ne tentait pas de bloquer Willis. Il tentait de bloquer l’autre joueur qui s’amenait également pour saquer Calvillo de sa droite. C’était ce joueur que Witaker avait pour mission première de bloquer. Il a alors tenté de laisser ce joueur pour aller bloquer Willis qui s’amenait vers Calvillo un peu de sa gauche, mais il était trop tard. Dans la même situation, même Cobourne aurait aussi laissé un joueur saquer Calvillo. Aurait-il été blessé? Nous ne le saurons jamais.

Au chapitre des ses qualités, Whitaker n’hésite jamais non plus à attaquer la ligne adverse. Tout comme Cobourne, il crée parfois ses opportunités en poussant sur des trous insuffisants. Également, Whitaker a d’assez bonnes mains. Les entraîneurs vont composer avec les joueurs qu’ils ont sous la main et l’attaque sera conçue en fonction de l’arsenal disponible. Cobourne n’a pas gagné une Coupe Grey du début à la fin à lui tout seul. Il y a d’autres bons joueurs sur cette équipe.

My friend, I never said Bernard was less fumble-prone than Cobourne, or even that the stats I cited were definitive proof that Bernard wasn’t fumble-prone. I only brought the comparison up because another poster asserted, without foundation, that Cobourne had fumbled less frequently than Bernard over the past few years. These kinds of stats are really easy to verify and post. What we make of the statistics is one thing; misleading others with baseless assertions is quite another. :wink:

Stats point out significant accomplishements/failures, but there is also proven ability, and in this department, compared to Bernard or Cobb, little AC is way ahead.

It is my hope that the Als can come up with good offensive schemes, insert a decent running game, and that the signed players will live up to expectations.

Jkm, I’m with you. Stats don’t tell the whole story. I just object when people present false information – e.g. saying that Bernard fumbled more than Cobourne. We can certainly debate the merits of whatever stats we discuss – I wouldn’t deny that Bernard’s lack of touches makes his fumble stat more significant than Cobourne’s in the long haul – but let’s not mislead other members with false statements. That’s all I’m asking.

Je vois. Finalement, on dit la même chose de façons différentes.

Wow
Add obfuscation to the charge of “fudging” with statistics
What we seem to have here is a natural born politician.

" I only brought the comparison up because another poster asserted, without foundation, that Cobourne had fumbled less frequently than Bernard over the past few years."

Really REALLY?
“I never said Bernard was less fumble prone…I only wanted to point out that he mentioned erroneously that Bernard was less fumble prone”

Frequency of fumbles means how many fumbles over time.
Two people have PROVEN you wrong about this and you continue to maintain you’re right.
…or your God given right to be wrong
Or something…

I’ve heard more cogent debating from hormonal girlfriends at “that time of the month”
And while the sentiment may not be exactly PC…most of you know exactly what I mean
And for this our long-winded cohort breaks his “ban” re: commenting on my posts

It is no surprise then that he toes the party line at every opportunity
The Alouettes never admit their mistakes…or simply that they are too cheap to shell out for a player
Instead they’ll go out of their way to blame the player…“Avon Cobourne wanted too much money”
Blaming someone who sweated blood for his team and team-mates…
Anything rather than admitting they miscalculated…messed up again.

I’ve been accused of being over-critical
But imagine how refreshing…how purging it would be if a little honesty were to see the light of day once in a while
I’ll admit that I’ve only had fleeting first-hand experience with that “insiders perspective”
And that in a brief but candid conversation with Matthieu Proulx
But as we heard during the Grey Cup run-up…there’s a whole lot of stuff going on to which we poor “shmucks with the bucks” simply aren’t privy.

Although I’m always willing to go toe to toe with anyone who’s of the mind
When it’s “the mind” that starts to go…I know it’s time to step back a pace or two.
Gather your thoughts sir…compose yourself and for God sake make some sense
It’s only a football forum…after all.

if you put a great o-line infront of Cobb he will perform, but if there are no holes...he is like a fish out of water and has no clue what to do

i was asking for his head last year, so im quite happy he is gone, im just hoping he doesnt come back to bite us in the a**, especially of labour day!

But what about development ? When do the Ticats invest in a player ? They dont. Als will sink 3 years in a guy if they thinkg he’s worth it. I’m so not worried for Cobb :slight_smile:

Ce que cet amateur rapporte correspond à ce que j’ai observéd e Cobb l’an dernier. Cobb a 29 ans. C’est un peut tard pour le développer. Cobb devra se mettre à frapper la ligne adverse de lui-même s’il veut pouvoir avoir le poste. Mais je suis convaincu qu’il peut le faire parce qu’il le faisait plus souvent en 2009. J’ai plus d’espoir qu’on puisse développer Rodriguez.

Hamilton is a graveyard for players, sad to say but it is. Look at Justin Palardy last year. Hamilton gave up on him after what six weeks ! Look at him in Winnipeg. Watch Bauman this year in Edmonton...

Cobb had 1500 yards from scrimmage in each of his two seasons and has been able to stay healthy for entire seasons too. Like you I saw the hesitation in his play last year but that is entirely correctable, same as a receiver who drops balls. The mental aspect I have zero worry on a Trestman team. Again I dont know if Deandra will make the team, Withaker is legit so is Bernard and I'm sure whoever Popp brings to camp will as well but I think when you look at the supporting cast and the coaching in both Montreal and Hamilton I come away impressed with Cobb.

Voilà de bons arguments! Gardons espoir de voir Cobb être une menace. Mais tout ceci me confirme que Whitaker n’est pas considéré comme le vrai titulaire du poste : il devra le gagner, quoique Popp et Trestman puissent dire.

ok, so you develop a 30 year old running back? every football fan knows that a pro career for a running back is short, the alouettes would be crazy not to use whitaker and bernard, i personally think bernard was one of the most impressive running backs backing up reid in the peg

the alouettes should not waste there time developing a 30 year old running back, and spend there time developing 2 runningbacks who are 25 and 26, who i believe are already more impressive then cobb

Interesting cause that's about the age Avon was when he got to Montreal :slight_smile:

Speaking of Cobb

I seem to remember someone mentioning that the guys (Jock Climie?) at TSN did an analysis of Cobb's running style...
The gist of which was that he was hitting the line in a bad position...leaning backwards as it were...away from contact.

Now I realize I don't have the full story here
But I wonder if anyone remembers that analysis (I missed it obviously)
And might be so kind as to fill in the blanks for me.

i was just saying developing a running back at that age, a player is what he is by that time, cobourne is a good running back, but i dont think he will get much better, cobb is a decent running back, put a good o-line infront of him and he will become great

I think they are very similar backs in ability but very different in atitude. I think this experience will put a mean streak in Deondra that wasn't there before. I was surprised Cobb ended up in Montreal, I figured he would be a great fit in Vancouver, him being from Nevada/California and the Lions thin at the RB position, maybe Wally called his old buddy ??? I just can't wait for those two teams to play each other this year. Avon and possibly Rodriguez or/and Cobb would make for some magic !

one thing that i think avon brings too the table that is far superior to deandra is that avon is a solid blocker, thats one thing ive always loved about him, he will sacrifice his body, to save his quarterbacks, not to say cobb is not a good blocker, i have noticed he is solid in the back field but i do remember somtimes last seasons saying “deandra missed the blitz pickup”

too be truthfully honest i cant wait to see some preseason ball, any CFL football is magical, and i cant wait

one thing that i think avon brings too the table that is far superior to deandra is that avon is a solid blocker, thats one thing ive always loved about him, he will sacrifice his body, to save his quarterbacks, not to say cobb is not a good blocker, i have noticed he is solid in the back field but i do remember somtimes last seasons saying "deandra missed the blitz pickup"

too be truthfully honest i cant wait to see some preseason ball, any CFL football is magical, and i cant wait
[/quote]
Bonne observation. Mais également, Calvillo a souvent indiqué à ses couvreurs (Cobourne et Carter en particulier) ce qu'il voyait dans les défensives adverses. Comme il est très compétent dans ses lectures, ça aide un gars à bloquer. Et si la ligne offensive joue avec la cohésion qu'elle avait à la fin de la saison 2010, Cobb (ou Bernard, ou Green, ou Whitaker ou Alston) sera entre bonnes mains.

Has Bourke's situation re NFL/CFL been established?

A long time ago; hence,after February 15,2011, he could no longer sign-at least this year- with an NFL team. Next January or beyond,unless he signs an extension with the Als.

Richard