Coaching

100% agreement here.

emms1: There’s only one guy now who can do something about this mess…Scott Mitchell.
He has been silent so far. Angelo Mosca says Mitchell is a good guy and will do a good job. Well lets see. Marcel is part of the problem so we can’t expect him to own up to doing a lousy job.
So c’mon Mr Mitchell. Take this mess in hand and DO something. You know as well as anyone what is wrong. Don’t wait until the off-season. There’s nothing to lose by acting now.

I, and MANY more people on this site endorsed Taffe as the new coach, and I still think Marcel made the right move. Taafe IS a coach with CFL experience - two coach-of-the-year awards, if I'm not mistaken. I do agree his choices of assistants have been less than inspired...okay, they s***. Let's get some position coaches that can coach, and go from there...
I agree, canuck. I share the opinion that Taaffe is a good football man who will, like any human being, make the odd mistake, like the now infamous 2 point convert a couple of games ago.

If anything, Charlie has to listen to his own heart when he coaches. Forget about Mitchell, Desjardins, the fans and yes, even Mr. Young and go with your own gut feelings, Charlie. You are here because you are the best football mind in the organization and you don’t need distractions from any of the above unless you ask for help.

I think you have caved in to pressure from some or all of the above mentioned several times this season.
Things are tough enough for you trying to make a bunch of rookies look like a football team.

You caved when you played Chang and you caved when you played Printers. It seems to me that on both of these occasions, Williams should have been your starter. By your own admission, neither of the other two QBS were ready to play, a fact which has now been verified.

I think Williams should start the next game while Printers learns a little more of the playbook and gets used to his receivers at practice, but what do I know? I’m not a coach so you likely shouldn’t listen to me either. I’m simply giving my opinion but continue to yield to your expertise.

You have likely had several meetings by now with your coaching staff. If these guys don’t get their charges to play better real soon, I’d start thinking right now about bringing in some Canadian talent for next year.

I see plenty of talent on the team in terms of playing personnel and the odd player we could likely do without. Think seriously about next season and try to improve the team this season. If people need a reason to perform well, tell them their jobs are on the line.

I reiterate that I am not in your league as a football person, but sometimes I find that it helps to listen to an outsider’s point of view and than either accept or reject it. I won’t be slighted if you ignore me, since I realize you may have some other means of improvement in mind.

Above all, be your own man. It looks apparent to me that you are being influenced by some bad advice, perhaps my own.

Starting Printers after he had three days of practice and literally, without exaggeration, years of rust to shake off, against one of the top teams in the league, was an absolutely braindead move. I have no idea what Taaffe was thinking. He set Printers up to fail, not intentionally, but that's how it played out.

Forget everything else. Taaffe has lost a lot of my respect with this one terrible, terrible decision.

Many of you folks don't seem to realize that

Richie and Casey have been running our Offence
for relatively the same length of time.

Richie Williams hasn't been running our Offence,
he has been running our opponent's Offence all year.

The season is lost. QB changes aren’t going to get us in the playoffs.

Charlie knows that. So every rep Printers can get only hastens the process of getting him ready. It was the right decision.

The season is lost. QB changes aren't going to get us in the playoffs.

Charlie knows that. So every rep Printers can get only hastens the process of getting him ready. It was the right decision.

I respect your opinion, CK, and say NO WAY!
Sending Printers in on three practice days and not even knowing the first names of 2/3 of his team mates was like throwing a lamb into a lion’s den.

Charlie (or someone else) blew it on this decision and I believe that upper team management was influenced here by the fans. :thdn:

Williams has still been a Ti-Cat for the whole year. He’s had the benefit of being on the sidelines and watching the team play. And if Williams wasn’t ready, start Chang again while Printers gets familiar with the playbook and the personnel.

There was absolutely no point throwing Printers into the fire like that. It’s not like Hamilton has a shot at the playoffs or anything, so why put your hyped-up marquee signing in a situation where he is almost certainly going to look bad?

Take this into account for all of you fans who were thrilled that Printers was picked up. He is a prima donna and a locker room cancer. Imagine the problems he would have caused if Taffe had decided to start Williams ahead of Printers against the Bombers. Printers honestly believes he can win by himself and everyone else just happens to be there. Taffe was put in a horrible position to deal with. Hamilton will not improve ever unless Printers decides that maybe he needs to work with his teammates rather than lord it over them.

There have been many coaching blunders but the Printers start was not one of them. Taffe had no choice.

I see your point and cannot disagree, however putting Chang in against the Argos was also akin to throwing a lamb into the lion’s den, and I can only assume that the coaching staff thought the same would happen with Williams.

But who knows, maybe Willaims would have fared better. I think not, based on the team’s performance last game. With the turnovers and dropped balls and poor pass protection, no QB could have won that game. There’s no way I think Printers lost us that game, and there’s no way I think Willaims or any QB would have made a difference that night.

Therefore putting in Printers, getting him reps and establishing some familiarity with teammates served him well and the team well.

Both Printers and the offence shuld be that much better come Friday night. Whether it’s enough remains to be seen, and having Lumsden and Armstead back should make a difference.

But that’s precisely the reason you give him the start. Every rep is valuable for Printers’ assimilation into the offence.

so why put your hyped-up marquee signing in a situation where he is almost certainly going to look bad?
I don't think anyone thought he looked bad. Seems to me the consensus is that the team around him was so bad that no QB would have made a difference.

Furthermore, if Printers does have the ego that some say he has, then it might have been a good thing to knock him down a notch or two and ground him a little bit.

IMHO- if Coach Marshall was not ready to be a CFL Coach because he coached in CIS, then CT and his NCAA staff have proved that they were LESS prepared for CFL level of play , and that is why the Ticats have become uncompetitive, At least with Marshall's team we were competitive!! BRING BACK Coach Marshall as a consultant asap

Lets face it the entire Ticat organization from the owner down are learning about football. Some are rookies, others have CFL experience, some are perhaps over the head in terms of responsibility. I personally think the team can turn around in one year. We need a good top down football organization including decent scouting and player selection, more than average coaching, and players who are committed to winning. From my perspective the team has only played up to their potential three games this year. They were the BC game and the first two games against the bombers.

He has the rest of the season to assimilate Hamilton’s offense, 7-8 games (I forget exactly how many). There was nothing to gain by starting him on three days’ practice with 25% of the playbook and no real familiarity with the personnel. This one game wasn’t going to be a difference-maker in Printers’s development, except to expose him, very early on, to how poorly the team is run.

I don't think anyone thought he looked bad. Seems to me the consensus is that the team around him was so bad that no QB would have made a difference.
But that's terrible from a morale standpoint. You're basically telling the public that you went out and threw half a million dollars on a QB who still won't be able to turn the team around because there are so many other problems. Printers is more than just your starting QB, he's the hope on which this franchise is precariously resting. So given that the season is already lost, you do whatever you can to keep that hope alive, and avoid putting Printers in situations where he's almost certainly going to fail.
Furthermore, if Printers does have the ego that some say he has, then it might have been a good thing to knock him down a notch or two and ground him a little bit.
You want your starting QB to [i]lose[/i] confidence? Cockiness and arrogance are exactly what this team needs.

confidence, yes. arrogance, no.