I have a few problems with the coaching so far:
- Our best players are Lumsden and Holmes and we don’t get them the ball enough. Plus, we should have them both on the field at the same time.
- We’re a good running team, yet we don’t run the ball that often.
- We pass too much, and we’re not a great passing team.
- We don’t even try to stretch the defence vertically.
- Too many 5 receiver sets, not enough 2-back sets.
- We take too many penalties. That’s a coaching problem because they have to discipline the team. I never liked the idea of the team policing itself, I think it’ll lead to fights on the bench. (note: see what happened after the spearing call in BC.)
- We don’t have a pass rush. Even when we blitz, it’s not effective.
- Our red zone offence is horrendous.
- Timmy Chang hasn’t started a game yet.
Now, that’s not to say I’m all against the coaches. I like:
a) Taaffe’s creativity on offence. He’s always trying new formations and plays every week to throw the other teams off.
b) I think the defence is playing tough.
c) We do a good job of tackling players, which is a welcome change from recent years.
d) Our 3rd and short defence is excellent.