Coaching staff

Well Chief it is a wait and see approach; with Barresi on board I think will be helpfull to Crandell, but not in a way that will interfere with Crandells play schemes for the run or pass. In essense of this; Zone Blocking/Run Game Drills is where the coachs develope the Offensive Linemen into play makers in a set of drills in practice and is not easy to transfer to games, but a “MUST”. Thus, Tim Prinsen can still do his job mind you on his set of drills as opposed to the other set of drills for the running back to hit the hole in a “TIMELY FASHION”.

Chain of command, people, chain of command. Any structure that is not hierarchical is doomed to failure.

So explain me this:

Mark Nelson is D/C. I approve that hire, by the way.

Kit Lathrop is in charge of the defensive line. Fine.

But, Kit Lathrop is also assistant head coach.

So how the heck does that work??

Let's say, as D Line coach, Lathrop wants to use 4 D linemen.

But his boss, as D/C, Mark Nelson, says no, we're going with the 3/4 alignment we used last year.

Then Nelson's boss, the assistant head coach (Lathrop) says no, we're going back to a 4/3

How the heck can that work? How in the world can a position coach be subordinate to a D/C and yet simultaneously be superior to him as assistant head coach????

This is a recipe for disaster, and the first thing that Kavis Reed has done that I can honestly say is, from my perspective and in my opinion only, a bonehead move. . .

I would suggest MadJack; this coaching structure was talked about among the brass (Tillman/Reed) so in their best interest gave Lithrop the title of Assistant Coach (IMO: in title only) along with his other duties rather than lose him as well. Rick Campbell agreed to it, so thus they must be on the same page.

[url=http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/edmonton-eskimos/index.html]http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/f ... index.html[/url]

There are two Assistant Coaches? However, doesn’t show it (Assistant Coach) on the Esks website on the list of Coaches.

Dear Lord, I know we haven’t always seen eye-to-eye, but please tell me I’ve had too much to drink and the above is not true. I promise to build a church in your name if I read this incorrectly. lol

Only in the military and political parties where mindless following of command is desired. The importance thing is defining who is responsible and accountable for what and following so that everyone does THEIR job and not the other guy’s. Coaching is generally more collaborative than hierarchical except for a few egomaniacs.

Rick Campbell was a position coach last year being an Assistant Coach; so thus with Kit Lathrop having the Assistant Title this upcoming season is no different IMO. I feel more comfortable with Lathrop moving into the Head Coach role if anything should happen (such as illness) to Reed.

Backer just because it may have happened before (and it has. .. in Regina as GM Taman was coach Miller's boss, but as VP of football ops Miller was Taman's boss), doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Again, go back to my example.

Let's say Lathrop, in his capacity as defensive line coach, says he wants to use 4 down linemen as the basic set.

Then Lathrop's superior, Nelson as defensive coordinator, says "no, Kit, we're going to be running a base 3/4 set like we did last season."

And then Nelson's superior as Assistant Head Coach, the same Lathrop, can then say "no Mark, we're going with a base 4/3 set."

I don't see how that can make any sense. ..

I understand your point MadJack; it could happen, thus I guess it’s a wait and see approach on what D/base set the Esks will run this season. Mind you at half time in games they may make the adjustment perhaps?

I think Rick Campbell is a bit different because he was ST.

I feel and seem to think the Eskies will run a 4/3 D set; isn’t that what Nelson ran while he was DC in Winnipeg?

Yes, in Winnipeg he ran a 4/3.

In Edmonton last season, he was LB coach under Stubler who ran a 3/4.

So he's got experience with both. . . I'd trust and hope that he'll use whatever scheme best suits the personnel he has to work with.

Last season under Stubler seen (quite a bit?) of movement with players filling in due to injuries and was a new group of guys for the most part learning Rich Stublers 3/4 system; thus the core group did fairly well. This season with the addition of the new Secondary Coach and Mark Nelson as the DC/Linebackers; the club will be moving in a new direction and I believe it will be a 4/3 D set as Nelson has experienced in the past. Although I could be wrong and don’t doubt Mark knows and has the knowledge to run the 3/4 D. As for the personnel; who will be the Eskies true MLB in the 4/3 D? - The waiting game…

[url=http://www.esks.com/article/campbell-steps-down-from-eskimo-coaching-staff]http://www.esks.com/article/campbell-st ... hing-staff[/url]

Campbell moves on from Special Teams Coordinator in Edmonton; accepts Defensive Coordinator position with Calgary.

Eh. I know Dave Campbell's trying to make a case for him, but I'm not that upset. :lol: I think I'm more upset about the Calgary guy leaving. I know he got a better opportunity, but it still seems kind of crappy.

Finally I’ll be able to straighten my fingers. much better . :thup:

Eskies may give Defensive Backs Coach Marcello Simmons an added role of Special Teams Coordinator; has done both jobs in the past (2003-08) while in Argoville.

Campbell isn't a huge lost. Good luck in Calgary. He's their problem now. :smiley:

I can't help but wonder why we lost our DC and our assistant HC in year 2 of a rebuilding effort? I gotta assume they were unhappy with either Reed or Tillman.

I know Stubler was upset when Reed mentioned he wanted a Secondary Coach for tackle/tech. purposes. Rick Campbell I can understand as he was more than likely next on the short list to get the DC job in Calgary behind Walkowsky.