Coaching Staff

Hamilton is reported to have hired Greg Butler from Winnipeg to coach the secondary.

Is it just me, or does it not seem a bit odd to hire a secondary coach BEFORE the defensive coordinator is in place?

From the outside, it does. However, given the fact Charlie is making the hires, I think the order isn't necessarily as glaring an issue as it would appear. Taaffe is hiring to shape a defensive philosophy and approach and I would expect the defensive coordinator to be on the same page with Gregg Butler.

Oski Wee Wee,

My understanding is that if you are going to recruit other teams Assistant Coaches you must provide them with a promotion or they are "out of bounds". (eg. Mike Working was a QB Coach with Winnipeg and has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator with Hamilton.)

Maybe Butler is coming in as Defensive Coordinator?

That may be true. I was responding to the scenario as expressed by MadJack. The convention regarding coordinator migration is basically as you describe unless a quid pro quo of some sort is at play here or if a team simply wants to go in another direction coordinator-wise.

Oski Wee Wee,