Coaching Expenses Need to be Capped and Ratioed

Again, double check that prior to saying it. I am guessing it is way higher than you think. Player ratio is basically 50/50 and it you crunch the numbers I am guessing coaching staff is 40. Also, a lot of players and coaches have made Canada their home, while others return to be closer to their family…which I for one totally understand and respect. Lots of Canadians move to another city for work, and would or do return closer to home when the right job comes up…why is this different?

Why call the CFL Canadian if you’re pivot (QB) is not Canadian too then I guess huh??? Perhaps you’re star RB or WR as well.

Towriss, for example, has been given the shot…he ain’t interested. A fat pension is a tough thing to give up for insecurity of a CFL HC job…same reason you don’t see a pile of NCAA HCs go to the NFL or NBA.

Ok, so 2011 was ~6.5mil, not the 7+ you said:

This works even more in favor of what I said…

so now you are down to about 850K for the other 8 coaching staff…about 106K each, or 85K salary average if you are only accounting for 20% additional costs beyond salary (which is likely light). Lets also not forget that these numbers include payments to coaches/players terminated under contract, which can potentially drop that 85K significantly!

Sorry for tearing this apart…but I see nothing wrong with these numbers/salaries. I have zero issues with a OD/DC making 100K ish and a assistant 60ish…infact, that 60K is light. What do you feel a HC or Coordinator who works an 70-80 hour + week 10 months of the year (about 50% more than the average person) and has the responsibility of an an entire team on his shoulders should earn? And what about an assistant who works 50-70 hours a week 9 months of the year (about 1/3 more than the average person)?

People keep saying how badly players have it in the CFL. While its not NFL money It is much better than

UFL: Where most players did not get paid, some had to pay for their own way home.
NFLe: $13 500.00 to $18 500.00 a season plus room and board in their last season.
AFL: a whopping $830.00 a game up from $400.00 for a total of $15 000.00 a season

So the CFL can be damn proud that it has managed to build a league with solid foundations while providing players the BEST wages (by far) in pro football outside of the NFL.

The CFL does not need to compete with the NFL, it just needs to be the most stable and lucrative #2 option and it is that by quite a margin.

I still think the league needs to do something to accommodate veteran players of a certain age under the cap. It hurts everyone to cut a brand-name player in his early '30s for cap reasons. Possibly have a "designated veteran" position where the salary costs less against the SMS? It just goes to my heart to see players who have given everything to the league get nothing but a pink slip the second they lose a half-step. Richer leagues can hang on to their veterans, because even making minimum wage in, say, the NHL, still means you're collecting half a million per year. It's completely worth your while to grind it out. A CFL veteran? You can't go back to $50k when you've got a family to feed and life after football to think about (career, medical bills, etc.).

Americans earning 3rd world wages taking our jobs? So how do you feel about Mexicans or the East Europeans working here because Canadians won’t do the work?
Mr. Bungle you are a paranoid xenophone.

Thats a pile of BS too… i picked fruit in Oz back in 1999… i earned 14.50/hr to do it… canadians would pick fruit here as well if the wages were there. There is no labour shortage… There is a wage shortage. When Canada signed free trade with a third world coutry in 1988. A country that was founded on slavery and to this day pays illegal migrants 15 dollars a day to pick fruit… That is why the wages are so low on Canadian farms… that is why we have to bring in our own slaves to do those jobs.

A significant amount of orchards in Canada (in Okanagan anyways...can not speak for elsewhere) do not pay wages, rather on production. The harder you work, the more you earn. There are lots of workers making over 20 bucks an hour doing so.