Coaches to blame for Cats loss

Although the Cats played well against the Als last night.Its was coaching mistakes that cost the Cats the game and the season.With 4 games left and 4 points behind the Als for second place who have 1 game in hand over the Cats.The Cats need a miracle to get into the playoffs.I say keep Evans and get rid of the coaches and bring in a coach and his staff that know how to win.Also get receivers who are reliable and experienced who can come through in the clutch.The Als receivers always seemed to be open.My question is WHY,, poor defensive coverage which leads to poor coaching.Lets hope that next year Cats do a lot better on the field and in management.

6 Likes

The poor defensive coverage allowed a grand total of 23 points on the road...not too bad actually

5 Likes

There was times in the 2cnd half I caught myself asking if the D actually took a time out, the coverage was so bad. Not sure if this was caused by poor coaching, no pressure or defenders just getting plainly beat. Either way this has to improve if they hope to have any success. Also would help if the O would have had some ball control and put up more points. I'm ready to move on with this coaching staff as well. Had to rant to somebody as the wife has heard it all.

1 Like

I totally agree with you,,your not alone as my wife has heard it all before too,,lol,,

Condell should have been gone years ago...was never any good...the broadcasters keep going on about him that he is good??"WHY"??.... Stupid penalties which are the coaches fault with the lack of discipline...No Blitzes & the stupid zone prevent defense in the 4th...again coaching...The positive is that Evans , Hill was great along with most of the offense. Smith is likely gone.

3 Likes

I know Washington does not have many fans left on the Cats board, but his defense held Montreal to 23 points on the road. The offense only posted 16 points. I think the offense is more to blame for the loss. Even then, I saw Cats receivers making plays the whole game, shedding Montreal tacklers for extra yardage and first downs. Lots of grit.

The one thing I don't understand is why Hill wasn't more involved in the red zone; he was such a load the whole game and we had no answer for him. That said, I could see Thorpe starting to stack the box late in the game to take away the run (at least, in theory); he seemed to be saying, "Beat us with the passing game instead if you can." So it's not unreasonable for Condell to do what he did, which was respond to the defensive fronts by putting the ball in Evans's hands and trusting the receivers to make plays.

IMO this was a hard-fought game between two desperate teams that could have gone either way and probably came down to 5-6 plays.

3 Likes

Montreal receivers just bigger, mismatches in the end zone passes, Offseason signings of a couple experienced receivers over 6 ft , first to be replaced Poppy W imho

3 Likes

Great post,
I was just noticing Hills 10-61, STE 2 for 19, a very healthy average behind a very legit O-Line.

6 Likes

Tim White is a beast. Second time in two games he's carved up my Als.

5 Likes

Maybe if OC keeps calling the same plays in the red zone they mite work some day , and giving the RB with a +7 yd average 2 carries a game is at least consistent

1 Like

The same thing has been happening for over two complete seasons with Washington and his ridiculous zone coverage in the second half.
There is an entire 7-17 yard hole in the coverage that ALL QBs have been able to exploit. 500,000 people can see it on TV, 24,000 people can see it from the stands, and EVERY other coaching staff licks their chops when they see it too.

@disciplineandpunish who cares if they aonly allowed 23 points? That was 7 too many, and Washington's defence folded like a snotty Kleenex yet again.

The ONE thing a complete coaching change will probably do is get rid of Dane as soon as possible. We have seen that with pretty much ALL head coach changes in this League - they want to bring in "their guy".

2 Likes

To my mind, they needed more offensive support and fewer penalties. If Washington's defenses were that bad, wouldn't opposing teams be hanging 30-40 points on you per game? Giving up 23 points on the road to a division rival isn't bad at all. Could the defense have played better? Sure. The pass rush wasn't as strong as it's been in the past, which allowed Harris time to find receivers downfield. But Thorpe's defense had the same problem with the Cats' O-line, which gave Evans time to throw and only allowed one sack over 60 minutes. It happens. Clearly, both Condell and Calvillo watched a lot of film and came up with ways to protect their respective quarterbacks. Montreal maybe made 2-4 more positive plays and that was the difference in the game (besides penalties). JMO though. I understand and respect your frustration with your team and with your defensive coordinator.

Thanks for the reasoned reply, it's refreshing to read one for a change.

Hamilton's O-line is playing MUCH better now that Beard and the other 3/5 of the line have been replaced. Dane has had lots of protection. It's a thing to build upon.

When you have blown as many first-half leads as this team has, it might magnify the issues. The Defence, most times, cannot make a stop when needed, and the horrible schemes that leave a 7-12 yard cushion in the second half, are infuriating. Yet, Washington seems to get no blame for this.

Hamilton needed to score more, and the Condell/Orlondo brain-cramp from the 2-yard-line put the kibosh on that. It would have been nice if our receivers actually made plays at crunch-time instead of letting the ball go through both hands time and time again. That's on the players for not making plays, and the coaches who continue to dress players who cannot or will not make plays.

3 Likes

The third down failed conversion was a mistake in my book. I also think the Cat defense went to sleep late in the game. It was like I was watching two different games between the two halves.

2 Likes

It is if the Cats continue to score less than the opposition.

I am sure the wife appreciated the fact you ranted on the forum.

It almost always is.

1 Like

This is what happens when the Ticats fail to make halftime adjustments, which has happened every game this year.

5 Likes

was hoping a little humor would help ease the loss but not sure it did

They make adjustments, they just make the wrong adjustments :frowning: Like forgetting about Wes Hills in the second half last night.

5 Likes