Coach Wally

This week is Wally's last regular season game in the CFL, Outstanding career

Amazing coach. I met him in 1989 when he was still an assistant. Great guy. By far the best coach/GM in history of league.
Of his 2 years out of playoffs, 1 was during the Feterik era in Calgary.

Sunrised he never coached Glenn lol

Although he didn't coach him directly, he was his GM in 2014

good call.

The number of players he has coached seems low actually....but then the game has changed and coaches see more new faces now.

Pasquale really got shanked from behind during the Feterik era. What a great coaching career. Don't think he's much of a GM or CEO though - obviously better than rubbish like Brendan Taman, Kavis Reed, Lyle Bauer, etc. but not really effective at a higher level.

Wow - 20 different starting QBs. That’s almost as many as Montreal has had in the post-Calvillo era.

It is actually 19 - CFL has credited a Doug Flutie start to Shawn Moore (October 27, 1995)

That is the only game that Moore had passing stats as a member of the Stampeders.

Here are a few passages from newspapers:

Moore tossed touchdown passes to Pee Wee Smith and Vince Danielsen in the second half, but it wasn't enough to stave off the Argos, who attracted 23,196 to their season finale.
And Flutie proved he could mystify modern medicine. He started at quarterback eight weeks after elbow surgery and completed 11 of 16 passes for 129 yards. He reported no ill effects on his elbow.

Calgary gave quarterback Doug Flutie his first start since Aug. 18. Flutie, activated last week after missing six games while recovering from elbow surgery, was interchanged with Shawn Moore through three quarters and played well despite surrendering a first-quarter interception that led to Toronto's opening touchdown.

Flutie, who hadn't thrown a pass in anger since mid-August, was due to see some action in order to help him relocate the required mind-set for next weekend's playoff with Hamilton.
He ran the half's first two series as well as the closing drive for the final-minute field goal and was little short of sensational when in there.

That was a miracle.
Doug Flutie was supposed to missed the remainder of season after a late August injury in 1995. Because of his superior conditioning, he came back late that season.
Unfortunately, it was the end of his Stampeder career.

I could be crazy here, but did Tom Porras not also get in a game??

Tom Porras dressed for 3 games in September 1990 and he saw action in all 3.

Stampeders #1 QB Danny Barrett missed 4 games due to an akle injury.
Porras was acquired from Toronto after #2 QB Terrence Jones suffered a separated shoulder in the Labour Day game (missed one game).

#3 QB Rick Worman started 2 games and Terrence Jones 1 game for the games that Porras was in uniform.

Thanks for the info!

Has anyone ever heard Buono talk about which of his QBs he thought was the best, which one he most enjoyed coaching, etc?

I remember he once said Buck Pearce was the most talented he had, but injuries where too much.

at that time, as opposed to all time.

Who the heck is Shawn Moore? Was Steve Taylor not available?

QB Shawn Moore played one season in the CFL - 1995

He began the season in Ottawa as the backup to Danny Barrett. Moore started 2 games (both losses) after Barrett suffered a season ending injury. A week after Ottawa acquired Sammy Garza from Winnipeg, Shawn Moore was sent to Winnipeg.

In Winnipeg, Moore was the backup to Reggie Slack. Once again Moore became the starter due to injury and he started a pair of games. Moore was replaced by Kevin McDougal at QB. When Slack returned to healthy status, Moore became expendable and he was sent to Calgary.

With the injury to Doug Flutie, Calgary went through a trio of QBs before settling on Moore as the backup. The others were Len Williams (formerly with Las Vegas) and Canadian Bob Torrance.

Re: Steve Taylor
He was with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1995. Taylor and some guy named Calvillo each started 9 games for Hamilton that season.

Back on Topic

First 5000 fans get a Wally Buono bobblehead. This item was for sale on the BCLions website and is now sold out.

It sounds like another 5000 fans will receive a Wally Buono big head cardboard cutout.

I expect that we will see a number of video tributes to Wally on the big screen. Should be fun!

Outstanding read here on Wally's history

Buono’s journey to his switch-flicking, dual persona life wasn’t an easy one. His father, Michael, came to Canada from Italy in 1951. The rest of their family — Wally, his brother Rocco and their mother Carmela — followed suit in 1953. Their boat docked at Pier 21 in Halifax and the family settled in Montreal. His father, a construction worker, died in his sleep in 1959. Wally and Rocco were placed in Shawbridge Boys’ Farm in Shawbridge, Que. It served as both a home for orphaned or wayward children and a juvenile detention centre. The brothers spent three and a half years there.
“It hasn’t been talked about too much (with him),? Wally’s daughter, Christie Buono says.
“I can’t imagine how difficult that would have been. I think that really speaks to the resilience that my father has and I think that’s inspiring. A lot of times people come from nothing. Sometimes they go up and sometimes they stay down. I think that speaks volumes about him.?

“When you came out of Shawbridge you’re either going to get into trouble or you’re going to get into sports,? Buono said in one of those earlier conversations this year. “So fortunately for us, we got into sports. A lot of that had to do with a young man named Al Phaneuf.?

Wally has done it all, but he still has a chance to do something no coach has ever done: take a crossover team to the Grey Cup.

not blankety blank likely, sigh