Coach Trestman on his new DC

He’s unique, loves ball, is intelligent and expresses himself,? Trestman told The Gazette on Monday – his first comments since Reinebold’s hiring was announced. “That’s the guy we need for now.

“Every hire is a leap of faith,? Trestman said, “but we feel he’s worth it. You don’t know until the games start, and adversity or success hits. But I like how he interviewed and the reaction I got from people I talked to about his character and love of the game. But it won’t mean anything unless he backs it up with science and structure. He’s a character person. I hope between the character and teaching that he’ll embrace the culture and landscape ... that he’ll be unselfish and disciplined.

“I don’t want them all the same. I want them moving in the same direction, but I’ve always had a staff with different personalities.?

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/J ... z1lgFNHn1u

Just curious what Trestman means by “That’s the guy we need for now" . For now?!

And that he’ll be unselfish and disciplined.

Can't speak for coach but in his book he believes that the typical shelf life of a HC with an pro team is four years after which the lack of new material makes the job more difficult because things become stale and opponents understand your philosophies and have built counters. So going on that I think he thinks that Jeff's energy and love of football and people will radiate through the organisation and locker room.

As for the discipline and being unselfish. Coach has a very strong beliefs that staff is there to support players and that they should be front and center. I see this that his "concern" is that Jeff being very charismatic and open will create a situation where he becomes the face of the franchise and cast a shadow over the players and that is something that would not be accepted, also makes reference of culture and landscape which ties into this as well.

As for the discipline issue. Jeff has a history of getting others in hot water with some of his public comments. It isn't done with that intent but the man is a free bird and absolutely no interest in the politics around him. H's a pure football coach.

The best example I can give you is a snippet he posted on one of his social media accounts last year.

Jeff Reinebold THE ROAD HOUSTON...UPDATE....[b]TOM MASON CALLED, THERE IS A BIG JUCO NT OUT THERE SO I AM OFF TO CHASE HIM DOWN IN THE MORNING....TOM SAID THE ALABAMA COACHES TURNED HIM ON TO THE BIG FELLA AND NOW WE GET TO SEE IF HE CHECKS OUT....MARSHALL, IOWA STATE, KSTATE AND TROY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BEATING DOWN HIS DOOR...[/b]HUNTINGTON, AMES, MANHATTEN OR ? WHO EVEN KNOWS WHERE TROY IS OR DALLAS...HUM...THINK IT IS TIME TO PONY UP!
These kind of posts seem harmless but they drop names, sources and recruiting activity that brings heat on the people your work with and for. That's what Coach could mean by discipline. Its ok to be excited and share with the fans but anyone who follows our team know that the culture and landscape does not work that way...

Now this is just my perspective on things. I think he will be very helpful to our players and popular with fans and media, he's a cool guy but he will need to be mindful of those around him and work within the structures of the club "go in the same direction" you could say.

Could also refer to putting your knowledge and activity in reports and documents that the rest of the staff can work with. A lot of guys are great football minds but don't document it well and it ends up causing chaos for others who have to spend a lot of time trying to figure things out.

True on all fronts given Trestman and his philosophy and Reinbold's past which are well documented.
For me, think I would have prefered reading " he was the best man for the job".
Given Reinbold has spent more time of late on the offensive side of the ball, hoping this does in fact work out. Will give ths season to see how he fares as the DC.

Wll Trestman weighs every word he says. I think this is crystal clear. It is up to Jeff to be he coach we need in the future.

Have no worries on his abilities. http://coacheschoicetest.com/m-834-jeff-reinebold.aspx

Bischoff should probably invest in his Kickoff Coverage and Kickoff Returns DVDs :smiley:

Wow…those quotes from Trestman are so perceptive and intelligent. Coded in a way but totally unmistakenly clear.
Sharp , sharp guy.
On the other hand those J.R. tweet quotes about the recruiting process are frightening and shows a slightly egocentric misguided approach. Maybe I’m just old school on these things. But i hope he does well and understands what Trestman is saying. Or more to the point respects what is being said. one year contract also speaks a lot …maybe more to Trestmans contract position perhaps. …but also this is a probation of sorts.

Jeff can be a big contributor on all three sides of the ball.

I find it brilliant that Trestman passed his message via a conduit that Jeff likes very much :slight_smile:
Our HC protects his tweets, that's how much he worries about information dissemination...

It would be wise.

Based on his articles/books, we may/could see a 3-4 defense in 2012. Personnally,I am not a fan of the 3-4 defense. We wolud definitely need bigger/stronger DT or a NT.

Time and personnel will tell/dictate.

Richard

Yes/probably . time will/should tell/speak :wink:

I can’t see it either , his material is designed for american HS and Junior coaches. You wouldn’t make such a philosophical change like that and sign the guy to a one year deal.

Does anyone recall, back in 2001, Pinball hired Reinebold to be special teams coach in Toronto. . . but Reinebold didn’t show up for training camp and instead showed up at some US college. … I dimly recall Pinball being less than impressed, and as I recall he claimed that Reinebold had never told him that he wasn’t going to show up. Anyone else recall anything like that?

Can`t say that I recall it, but I found this from Oct. 2001:

"Clemons wouldn’t say what those things were, but a good bet would be the difficulties he had building his coaching staff.

Jeff Reinebold, the former Winnipeg head coach, was hired as Toronto’s special teams coach, but never showed up.

Veteran CFL coach Urban Bowman replaced Reinebold, but was released about midway through the season.

Toronto also hired Rich Stubler as its defensive co-ordinator, but he didn’t join the team until midway through the season due to Arena Football League commitments.

Clemons has also had philosophical differences with offensive co-ordinator John Jenkins, who Clemons played under during the Argos’ 1996-97 Grey Cup seasons.

Jenkins favoured a passing attack while Clemons was partial to a balanced offence featuring running back Michael Jenkins."

Those were dark years in Toronto. Would not surprise me one bit that there was a good reason whey Jeff would not show up.

I doubt we go to a 3-4 for the reasons Hfx mentioned. In a league where defenses line up a yard off the ball, you lose the extra speed on blitz packages that you’d get in the NFL.

He'll bring some color to an otherwise dull defence. :slight_smile:

If you can believe Miguel Bujold in todays La Presse, and I guess there is no reason not to, nobody has cried over Tibesars departure, and Alouette defensive players thought his system was too predictable and lacked creativity.

And for what its worth I agree wholeheatedly. I dont know if the DB injuries had anything to do with it, but we were extremely vanilla. I am looking forward to Reinebold`s stamp on things.

Agreed the D was predictable. But as you said, when you have 4 of your 5 starting DB's out of the lineup for a good portion of the season and a LB also out for a fair bit of time, pretty hard to hang it all on Tibesar.