Coach Taaffe's future... with the Club

Contrary to last night's score...there was moments of good things to come. My concern however with the Club at this very early part of the season, is the coaching. Head Coach Taaffe, at times, looked "lost" on the sidelines. I saw this same thing, several times in many games last year. When the Offence was about to take the field, they would be milling around Charlie and the playbook, and I found that to be very strange. Is the Cats playbook that extensive, that the they have to remind 'themselves' before they take the field ? If so, then perhaps it should be streamlined..with so many new players on the team. I know that it is very easy for all of us armchair experts, to dump on the Coaching Staff...
That is not my intent with this post. However, I do think, that if Charlie can not bring this new group of players, onto the same page, within the next 2 or 3 games, ( and I hope he can ), you will see Obie on the sidelines, directing this team.
The pressure on Taaffe, after last night's showing...must be brutal, to say the least.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers.

I agree with you, to some extent. Charlie isnt on the field. when players continue to hold and go off side. ie, a crucial play when the cats had them pinned on their 5 yard line. On 2nd and 8. Cavillo passes incomplete and the cats would have got the ball back with plently of time remaining in the half. What happens they go offside!!! Thats not the coach`s fault.

I do think Taaffe has got to get tougher with his players and yes, he has to get that dazed and confused look off his face!!

I think your right if this continues for the next few games, he probably will be gone.

I do think Taaffe has got to get tougher with his players and yes, he has to get that dazed and confused look off his face!!

I think your right if this continues for the next few games, he probably will be gone

I had the chance to meet Obie in person, many years ago in a store, late at night. We spoke for about 5 min. And let me tell you loyalticatfan...Obie is all business, a great football mind. If some fans are worried about this team being allowed to repeat " of what happened last year." Then they have forgotten about the most important signing that this Club has made in years...his name is Bob.
I had the chance to meet Obie in person, many years ago in a store, late at night. We spoke for about 5 min. And let me tell you loyalticatfan...Obie is all business, a great football mind. If some fans are worried about this team being allowed to repeat " of what happened last year." Then they have forgotten about the most important signing that this Club has made in years...his name is Bob.
I hope your right SJ because this team has to get this undisciplined crap overwith. I think we have been leading the league in penalties over the last few years. Coaching is partly responsible for that!!

Coaching is in part responsible, much of it depends on what KIND of penalties are being taken.

Offsides might be the result of (a) overexuberance or (b) not knowing your snap count. A is a player problem, B is a coaching problem.

The one I found inexcusable last night was the illegal formation on the FG attempt. Come on, the players have had 2 exhibition games and a full training camp, and some bonehead hasn't learned that he's on the FG team and where he's supposed to line up?

The one I found inexcusable last night was the illegal formation on the FG attempt. Come on, the players have had 2 exhibition games and a full training camp, and some bonehead hasn't learned that he's on the FG team and where he's supposed to line up?
The coach has to make sure the players know their assignments. How many times last year did the players look out of sorts.

That is partly the coaches fault. Taafe, coaching staff and players have to get this junk straightened out.

I think we have been leading the league in penalties over the last few years. Coaching is partly responsible for that!!
I don't know how hard Charlie is on the players, for taking repeated stupid penalties. You're right about that issue, being a problem of major concern over the past several season's. I hope Taaffe can get it all sorted out, because if he can not...the axe is going to fall. I would not want to be the Head Coach that has to answer to a guy like Obie....

It tough for us Ticat fans. Losing sucks and like all of us here, no one wants to lose. But if the Cats lost respectively, it wouldn`t be as fustrating. But when your at 85 penalty yards or so in the first half. You get sick to your stomach!!

I was alarmed when reading the game stats that Printers had more tackles than McKay-Loescher, and tied Keith.
Montreal ran 66 plays to our 38...ouch

Knowton 14 tackles. He was all over the field!

Earlier this week Charlie was quoted in the Globe and Mail about how the defences in the CFL have come on strong in recent years to the point where all offences are having a tough time scoring. Charlie said when he came back to the CFL last year he was not aware of how much the defences have changed and had to figure out what they were doing.
So why did he end up with a DC last year who had virtually no experience in the CFL..and a DC this year who was tossed overboard mid-season last year by the Stampeders?
To me this (and some other things such as Marcel B )really makes me wonder about Charlie's evaluation powers. He talk it up good but so far I have not seen anything that assures me we are in the same league (literally) as the rest of the CFL teams when it comes to the quality of coaching.
How long will Obie put up with this?

But if the Cats lost respectively, it wouldn`t be as fustrating. But when your at 85 penalty yards or so in the first half. You get sick to your stomach!!
Well said..... I think the Cats imploded right after the third and short failed. I remember asking myself...what kind of play calling was that ? Jessie lined up so deep, he could have been in the parking lot. The penalties..really started to mount up after that. It was a very tough night for everyone.
To me this (and some other things such as Marcel B )really makes me wonder about Charlie's evaluation powers. He talk it up good but so far I have not seen anything that assures me we are in the same league (literally) as the rest of the CFL teams when it comes to the quality of coaching. How long will Obie put up with this?
No more than 2 or 3 more games Mr62cats...IMO As I said earlier, what was allowed to continue throughout last season, and the season before... will not go 'uncorrected' by a guy like Obie.

I also think that Charlie will be on a short leash this year. I'm not sure if OB will go back down to the sidelines if Charlie is let go though.

As a friend of mine pointed out, Danny Mac is still coaching with the team, and I believe was on the sidelines last night. My friend and I both agree that if Charlie is let go, Marcel may get the HC job, and Danny Mac may take over as the OC.

Personnally I hope things go better in the coming weeks and we retain Charlie. I agree he still appears to be lost at times, but I don't want to see us losing more coaches, as they just aren't that easy to replace, as we have witnessed the past couple of years. The reality is, good coaches are usually not looking for new jobs.

After last nights game, I continue to question the choice they have made for their DB coach. Another guy with no CFL experience, in a position that is very different in the Canadian game.

PJ

Jonesie wrote:
"I don't want to see us losing more coaches, as they just aren't that easy to replace, as we have witnessed the past couple of years. The reality is, good coaches are usually not looking for new jobs......"

Jonesie: Look at Marc Trestman, Rich Stubler, Doug Berry, John Hufnagel etc. Their teams took a chance on some keen assistants and former players. These guys are out there. Obie knows his stuff.
I predict Charlie's days are numbered. If ever there was a game that should have shown us his capabilities as a head coach it was last nights opener. But what did we get? A continuation of last years problems. I do not feel warm all over this year about the coaching staff.

Jonesie...I think you hit the nail right on the head.
I hope Charlie can turn this team around. But I think that he is 'indeed' on a very short leash...
And I am only guessing, but I think that was made very clear to him, when Obie took over as GM. Watching Charlie on the sidelines last night...I truly felt bad, for the guy.
He looked like his head was going to explode at times. Talk about a commercial for high blood-pressure, wow.
I would not want to be in his shoes.
I do think however, that if a change at Head Coach happens...Obie may not have a choice, but take up position on the sidelines himself, for the very reason that you stated.." The reality is, good Coaches are usually, not looking for new jobs."
In hindsight, not to drowned Taaffe in the bathwater..I think the Cats really dropped the ball, by not signing Huffnagull to the Head Coaching job, rather than Calgary. ( yah I know I spelt his name wrong ).

Cheers.

To me it comes down to preparation and game planning. Do we even have any of those things with taafe? Montreal knew exactly where our soft spots were and went right after them and exploited it. We failed to adjust to it. Thats what coaching is all about. The players have to execute but without a good game plan and finding some mismatches somewhere you can exploit you wont win many games. We seem to go in blind and make it up as we go along. Montreal knew exactly what to do and who to go after and won because of it.

To me it comes down to preparation and game planning. Do we even have any of those things with taafe? Montreal knew exactly where our soft spots were and went right after them and exploited it. We failed to adjust to it. Thats what coaching is all about. The players have to execute but without a good game plan and finding some mismatches somewhere you can exploit you wont win many games. We seem to go in blind and make it up as we go along. Montreal knew exactly what to do and who to go after and won because of it.
I think you have the best 'Quote' of the day Bettlejuice...I would love to be the fly on the wall...in Obie's office, today and hear what is being said, behind closed doors.

Nice Beet Agreed..

I don't think that Obie wanted Taafe in the first place. this was clear to me as it took Obie a long time before he informed Taafe that he had the job in March.

We have Taaffe now, so, I will support the guy.

But Im surprised that he wasnt let go last year. After a 3-15 season. I thought the cats were going to completely clean house.