Closure will be welcomed

Jimenez still awaiting appeal of one-game suspension
Lowell Ullrich, The Province
Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Jason Jimenez was still a contributing member of the Lions as he stood before a couple of hundred school kids Tuesday.

For the gigantic right tackle of the CFL team, that meant participating in the Lions in the House program, extolling the virtues of proper nutrition and fitness to a captive audience of youngsters at Surrey's Riverdale Elementary.

In a way though, Jimenez remains a Lion in limbo, still unsure how the start of the upcoming season will unfold.

Lions offensive right tackle Jason Jimenez at a team practice last season.
It has been more than four months since he was involved in a blocking incident with Calgary Stampeders defensive lineman Anthony Gargiulo that resulted in a one-game suspension levied by commissioner Mark Cohon.

It has been nearly four months since Jimenez was granted an appeal before an arbitrator -- which has yet to take place.

It's justice, CFL style, and without a hearing it remains difficult to gain a sense of closure for a player who has carried his share of remorse about the play.

"I'm sure it's as tough on me as it is for [Gargiulo], but it's just the process," Jimenez shrugged Tuesday. "When they get around to it, I'm more than willing and prepared."

With the heightened sense of anxiety and controversy removed as a result of the appeal that allowed Jimenez to play in the Nov. 18 West Division final loss against Saskatchewan, the delay has been about foot-dragging but also mere logistics.

A hearing scheduled in late February was postponed because it coincided with the league's annual winter meetings.

The next attempt, Jimenez said, will be to have his case reviewed before an Alberta judge who has been appointed arbitrator in late April or early May in Calgary.

In the offseason, however, the CFL lives a slow and steady existence on any number of fronts.

The league may have already fixed a $4.2-million salary cap limit for the upcoming season, but has yet to release spending figures for its teams from last season, and isn't scheduled to do so for another month. That's not the reason why, contrary to reports, a contract extension offer has not yet been made by the Lions to Jimenez, who is entering his option year.

However the stalled arbitration involving the league and the CFL Players Association does put the Lions in an uncertain place at best regarding their offensive line for the start of the upcoming season.

Jimenez isn't the only lineman who could be out for the season opener June 26 in Calgary.

Left tackle Rob Murphy and his wife are expecting triplets in early August, and the league's two-time top offensive lineman has already talked to coach Wally Buono about returning to the couple's home near Jacksonville, Fla., as the need arises.

"Guess that could be the story for the start of the season," said Jimenez, whose wife is also expecting.

In the absence of a streamlined arbitration process, it'll also do for now

Gargiulo comment below:

I'm not really looking for compensation from the CFLPA, just a little protection and justice. I think part of the reason that I'm not seeing any love is because the organization wasn't designed to deal with this kind of deliberate attack. It's just not supposed to happen! There is no official CFLPA or league proceedure to help out (that I'm aware of) because it just shouldn't happen in the first place (perhaps?). Clearly there needs to be.

If players can keep getting away with things like this then it could become a viable strategy to deliberately attempt to injure other teams' star players (not claiming I was a star haha) in order to gain a leg-up in future games (seeing as we play each other over and over). I'm not saying that CFL players would do such a thing, but if it only costs you a game suspension and could almost guarantee you a playoff win..... You see the cost-reward correlation there. I'm sure there's SOMEONE now or in the future that might consider losing a game check and one game played as a decent tradeoff for a Grey Cup bonus? QBs would go down left and right (as if they don't get hurt often enough as it is!).

I really don't want to sound like a whiner, but come on let's change something here because clearly this IS a problem. One game?

Help Anthony get justice
Fans of the CFL make your voice heard contact

Ex-Stamp DL Stu Laird is the President of the CFLPA and his email is: admin@cflpa.com

"I'm sure it's as tough on me as it is for [Gargiulo], but it's just the process," Jimenez shrugged Tuesday. "When they get around to it, I'm more than willing and prepared."
Give me a break. Come on CFL get this done. give him a hefty suspension and get it over with.

Are you expecting the invisible man to come out and take action? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh Mark, Mark, your duties as a Commisioner are required! :roll: :roll:

Maybe there is some sort of a CFLPA issue here preventing Cohen from taking action. You have to think of this.

Lets see lets try this… 8) 8)

Secretary, get me Stu Laird on Line 1

Hello Stu, Mark here, check your calendar, what have you got open the next couple of weeks? Can Jason make it? Great, see you there.”

“Hello Secretary, Get me the Arbitrator that has BC Lions season tickets on Line 2.”

" Hello Lui, what does your calendar look like…"

Seems pretty simple to me. :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless:

But where is the Invisible man? :roll:

What is he working on this week? :roll:

Perhaps a Canada wide warrent can find him! :roll:

The CFLPA is no different than any other union All they can do is appeal his decision

It seems CBC sports is smarter then Laird (CFLPA).
Here is an article that breaks down the evidence and gives a clear picture of the events.

Link http://www.cbc.ca/sports/sportsblog/200 ... nsion.html

More on the Jimenez suspension
Thursday, November 15, 2007 | 04:04 PM ET

Had another conversation with CFL chief operating officer Michael Copeland today. Also chatted with CFLPA president Stu Laird, the former Stampeder. We’ll get to Copeland in a minute, because this is the first time we’ve heard from Laird.

Laird said he hadn’t seen the play, and added that he hasn’t been heavily involved in the process. (I sent him the available video evidence via email, but he is travelling today and may not be able to see it until later. If he sends a comment, I’ll let you know).

His response to the issue: “Every player is entitled to legal counsel. The CBA creates a process (for suspensions) that’s followed? and Laird stresses that Jimenez deserves to go through that process.

On that, the two of us are in agreement. No league should be able to run rampant over its players. And, in this particular case, the CFLPA is certainly serving Jimenez well. Here’s where everything goes off the rails, however:
I asked Laird about his association’s responsibility to Anthony Gargiulo - the injured party, the guy who faces a tremendous battle here just to walk properly again. Laird’s first comment was: “Unfortunately, nothing can change that. It’s a terrible injury.? He also talked about how no player wants to see that happen to another player.
But that’s where Laird stopped. He went back to the point that according to the CBA, Jimenez deserves to go through a process.

Where is the moral obligation?

What it means is this: the CFLPA is honouring a legal obligation, but is totally ignoring its moral obligation. Laird cares about this job. He was on his way to San Antonio today for a seminar on how to properly manage the pension. But, he’s guilty here of the same thing the NHL players have been guilty of several times during their own history - losing control of what their organization is supposed to be about.

Yes, Jimenez deserves proper representation. But, the whole reason unions like the CFLPA were created was to protect players who deserved it. Anthony Gargiulo deserves that protection right now. He was injured on a play where he did nothing wrong. The injury was severe and career-threatening. The player who injured him was penalized, ejected and suspended.

But Jimenez is the priority.

I’m sorry. That’s disgusting.

==

As for Copeland, he was upset because there is not clear, definitive video of the incident. That’s true, but my response to that is: Did players not get suspended in games that weren’t televised?

(By the way, we will show the available video on Sunday’s pre-game. That’s 12:30 p.m. ET/9:30 a.m. PT).
Michael - who I have enormous respect for - and I had a lengthy conversation this morning about the entire situation. It’s a tough spot for the league. Because it lost the A.J. Gass arbitration hearing, the CFL is a little gun-shy as a result. But I said to him what I wrote here, the CFL should have thrown the book at Jimenez and made the union look bad for taking such a ridiculous stance. Instead, it delivered a meek penalty.

Breaking down the evidence

Now, I understand why fans might ask, “Well, if there isn’t definitive video, how can you say this the league is wrong??

You have to look at what is available. Maybe there isn’t clear video, but there is plenty of strong evidence:

1. An eyewitness. On the play, the umpire immediately threw the flag and tossed Jimenez. His report to the league isn’t scathing, but it does clearly define the play as dirty. I asked for a copy of the report, a request that was denied because of the pending appeal. To me, eyewitness testimony is the most important thing. Obviously, the Calgary organization is biased, but this report is independent.

2. Jimenez’s reputation. It’s true that he hasn’t received a ton of penalties, but he is probably the most complained-about player in the league. Let me just say this: I think, that for the most part, the Lions’ line has been unfairly singled out, especially in Rob Murphy’s case. Dirty play goes on everywhere. However, during B.C.’s 40-7 whipping of Toronto, our cameras caught Jimenez leg-whipping Johnathan Brown, a move that almost started a brawl. After one of the Montreal games, the league put the Lions “on notice? for leg-whipping. It’s a dangerous tactic, and it’s not as if his use of dangerous tactics is unprecedented.

3. The severity of the injury. It’s brutal. I hope Gargiulo can beat the odds and come back. But it’s not likely.

4. There are no complaints Gargiulo did anything wrong on the play. Obviously, if he did something to provoke Jimenez - a dirty play of his own - there would be extenuating circumstances. The Lion would have a defence. But, all the Lions did was submit a spear on Dave Dickenson, saying, “If you’re going to discipline our guy, you have to discipline theirs, too.? Now, that may be true. But it’s got nothing to do with Gargiulo.

5. Expert testimony. This where I base the strength of my opinion. I sent a link of the clip to Chris Walby, Khari Jones, Daved Benefield, Greg Frers and A.J. Gass - the five former players who worked on our show last weekend. Walby, arguably the greatest lineman ever to play in the CFL, called it maybe the dirtiest play he’d ever seen. Jones and Benefield thought it was brutal. Frers and Gass watched it with me in my Regina hotel room, and you had to see the look on their faces. They were shocked. (And, as many readers have pointed out, if Gass is shocked, it’s pretty bad.)

Hey, we’ve all been in debates before. Usually, you get one or two people who take the other side. But everyone here was unanimous. That says something. Even though the video isn’t totally clear, these ex-players understood what happened. And they were disgusted by it. I defer to their knowledge.

It’s like sitting on the jury of a court case. You listen to the evidence and you make a decision. This evidence is pretty damning to me.

"I'm sure it's as tough on me as it is for [Gargiulo], ..."
I don't think I've ever heard a bigger lie...Jimenez wanted the suspension lifted so he could play, showing he had no real remorse for his actions, and Gargiulo may never play football again...yeah, I'm sure they're taking things similarly...:roll:

What I don't get is why can't the CFL pick a date that works for Laird, Jimenez and the Arbitrator. Get this over with.

Its no wonder the "Anti CFL Media" poke fun at the league with amminition like this!

Argosbill must be rolling on the ground laughing at the CFL!

This is funny!

It's justice, CFL style, and without a hearing it remains difficult to gain a sense of closure for a player who has carried his share of remorse about the play.

As if...

about as remorsefull as bertuzzi with the crocadile tears, and any crook caught red handed.

How about they lay down a suspension that leaves him unable to play until Anthony is also fully recovered and able to play himself. If he is never fully able to play in this league, then neither can Jiminez.

Works for me :slight_smile:

In all seriousness I hope they fix the suspension/appeal process because having a 1 game maximum suspension is completely ridiculous in an 18 game season (plus playoffs).

I think as punishment, he should be traded to the riders.

Then he could get McCallumed....bwahahahahaahahaha.

kel

Well I am sure Anthony will seek compensation for this. It is truely sad when a player gets so wrapped up in his selfish style of play he would deliberately try to injure players. he was leg whipping through out the season. Many players from several teams have complained and the Lions staff were even warned by the league. Interesting maybe Bouno himself should shoulder some of the blame. Yes a coach can not totally control some of the mental midgets he has playing for him. But in all seriousness if he had helped in this investigation this would have been solved. I have lost all respect for Wally Bouno. As for Jimenez he should not play another down of football.

Is there a link somewhere to the information that states that the Lion's staff were warned by the league to control their players stop this supposed "leg-whipping"?

I agree with you 05, Jiminez's CFL career should be done, what he did was not acceptable. He had been trying all game (and apparently throughout the year), to injure opposing players. The league needs to take action sooner rather than later. As for you hwgill, supposed leg-whipping? I suppose Gargiulo's injury is alleged?

I'd like to publicly flog him. Or a good caning followed by repeated leg whips, punches to the groin, kidney shots with a taser and then a stoning to wash it down. Say half time ... labor day perhaps?

kel

1. Jimenez’s reputation. It’s true that he hasn’t received a ton of penalties, but he is probably the most complained-about player in the league. Let me just say this: I think, that for the most part, the Lions’ line has been unfairly singled out, especially in Rob Murphy’s case. Dirty play goes on everywhere. However, during B.C.’s 40-7 whipping of Toronto, our cameras caught Jimenez leg-whipping Johnathan Brown, a move that almost started a brawl. After one of the Montreal games, the league put the Lions “on notice? for leg-whipping. It’s a dangerous tactic, and it’s not as if his use of dangerous tactics is unprecedented.
[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/sportsblog/2007/11/more_on_the_jimenez_suspension.html]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/sportsblog/200 ... nsion.html[/url]