Clinched Division?

Hello CFL fans. Help me out here. Edmonton has 22 points with 2 games remaining, both of which they could win. Perhaps hard to believe, but possible. So a potential 26 points for the Esks. Calgary has 26 points with 3 games remaining, all of which they could lose (perhaps even harder to believe). So a potential 26 points for the Stamps. How then is it the Stamps have already clinched the West division? What is the deciding factor that Edmonton cannot achieve?

if they are tied Calgary owns the tie breaker

On what basis? What is the tie-breaker?

My guess is head to head contests. Hasn't Calgary won all the games those two have played against one another?

That makes sense. Yes they won the series.

A good question Redawgleader. If teams end up with the same number of points at the end of the season, the CFL looks at the series to see who won the series. Usually 2 wins will do it. 3 wins and it's a no brainer.

Calgary and Edmonton played each other three times. Calgary won all three games. Based on that, Calgary has the better record and is declared in 1st place.

If you want to see something wild go back and look at the 2011 CFL standings. The Lions, Esks and Stamps all finished the season with 22 points. It took a look creativity to figure out who would get the all important bye and host the Western Final and who would get the all important 2nd place to host the Western Semi-Final.

Of interest would be looking at two teams that finished with identical records, beat each other once and tied the other game in their series. That's when the CFL goes to plan C.

Calgary is 3-0 vs Edmonton this season.
What is interesting is I'm not sure in modern times a team has ever gone 4-0 against a strong opponent. So if those two teams meet up in the post season. Calgary will have a big challenge.

You raise a good point HfxTC. You really have to wonder if Hufnagel's final words, as he walks off the field after the Western Final will be, " The one game we had to beat the Esks and we fell short, dang it!"

One can only hope. :cowboy: :lol:

That's why you gotta love all these Rider losses to Calgary & Edmonton. :lol: :lol:

You missed the part where I mentioned "strong opponent" :lol: