CIS SCHOOLS IN THE NCAA WILL HELP THE CFL......

I THINK CIS JOINING THE NCAA WHICH THEY ARE GOING TO DO WILL HELP THE CFL.THE NCAA FOOTBALL IS MUCH BIGGER THAT THE NFL HERE.I THINK HAVING CIS SCHOOLS THERE WILL GAIN EXPOSURE TO THE PLAYERS SO AT DRAFT TIME IN THE CFL YALL WILL KNOW WHO THESE GUYS ARE.I SEE THAT THEE CIS DOESNT GET MUCH EXPOSURE IN CANADA AS THE NCAA DOES IN AMERICA.IF I WERE IN CANADA I WOULD PREFER A COLLEGE GAME OVER A PRO GAME ANYDAY.I FEEL THAT IF CFL WANTS TO GROW THE GAME IT STARTS AT THE YOUTH AND COLLEGE LEVEL.I FEEL THAT THE CFL DOESNT SEE THAT AND THAT IT COULD HURT IN THE END.I THINK THE NCAA WITH THE CIS TEAMS WILL EXPOSE FUTURE CFL STARS TOO THE MASS MEDIA AND IN TIME WILL EXPOSE THE CFL TO A MUCH HIGHER LEVEL BUT THE CFL IS STUCK TRYING TO BE A LOCAL LEAGUE IN A GLOBAL MARKET

The CIS as it is is a fairly decent level of play. I like that the players can spell their name upon graduation, even if it means that some guys don't get accepted to university in the first place that could be football stars. This is Canada, not the US.

Couldn't disagree more.

The way I read it it will allow the Universities to offer schlorship to Canadians and non Canadians. Considering my Grand child will have to pay $8,000 a year to go to University, I resent the fact my tax dollars are going to support American Scholorships.

I personally hope the Government cuts off ALL funding to any University trying to join NCAA!

You keep telling yourself how importand you are but
Canadians don’t need to NCAA to know who the Canadians are......

WHAT?!?!?!

I get the feeling more and more that sanduskyohiobro is either someone at CFL head office or a reporter looking to see what the reaction is to comments. Then if the reaction is strong enough, using it to develop policy or to work on a story.

Then again, I may be reading too many books with conpiracy theories in them.

Is punctuation expensive where Sandusky lives?

I don't think anyone in the CFL head office could dumb themselves down that much. There are some reporters who would be able to do that, and then there are some that would have to raise their intelligence level to bro's...

I gotta disagree with you on this one.

The marginal cost of a new student to a university is zero. It's just a butt in an empty chair. It doesn't create much added work for either faculty or administration. Therefore, its not like it will COST the university or government $8,000 to let in a student athlete.

If the number of spots is scarce, on the other hand, thats a different issue. The athlete would be taking up a spot for free that another student could have filled and paid tuition. However, the student athlete would be providing a service to both the university and the town/city by adding to athletic prestige, helping teammates get better, and entertaining spectators.

Therefore, i've never seen anything wrong with awarding full athletic scholarships. I think the CIS denies it due to some vague notion of fairness to non-athletic students, or some idea to disallow special treatment. It's a very left wing stance, and I hope they get rid of it.

If you ask me, if the student has worked hard enough to perform at a high level, everyone would gain from helping that student attend university. Student gets world-class education, existing athletes get to play against better competition, spectators get a better product, and universities add to their athletic prestige and have a better sell for the paying public.

How is someone as smart as you still posting here?

Thank you.

dumont, I have no problem if the scholorships are offered to CANADIANS!

But why should a scholorship be offered to Billy Bob Jones in Texas to play football in BC and then us tax payers subsidize him as well? You want YOUR tax dollars going to pay for an American to come up here to play Football?

No Way!

I totally agree with Sportsmen. All the scholarships would just go to Americans. I also know for a fact that the Canadians on the ncaa teams are not treated very well by the other team mates for the same reason that their taking a spot from an American. Why cant we just keep it Canadian?

UBC, the second or third largest university in Canada, and SFU have been accepted to play in the NCAA starting this summer.

Is this good? Perhaps now they can openly offer scholarships (SFU has been offering scholorships since 1965 and were banned by the CIS for over 30 years.)

I would think it would be a draw for many Canadian athletes to come to UBC or SFU. They would get a scholarship and play against the top NCAA teams...nearby UW Huskies & WS Cougars, plus UCLA, USC, etc...instead of taking the bus to Wpg or Saskatoon.

Hmmm U or Manitoba Spanked SFU 77-7 last year. Whats the NCAA teams going to do to them? 100-3?

I'll be writting my MP & MLA if I hear of Scholorships going to Americans!

According to most things I have read, the Canadian Universities will be competing at the Division II level. Division II football in the States is good football, but it is a far cry from Division I (which used to be called IAA) and the Bowl Championship Division (which used to be called Division I). For some reason, the NCAA changed the names last year, seems confusing to me. I attended a Division II football school in the States and have also seen some CIS football. From what I can tell, the CIS schools would be able to compete well by just using Canadian players in Division II. I am a resident of Minnesota who is a lifelong Vikings fan but loves the CFL and have seen hundreds of games on TV and 5 in person. I have followed the CFL since about 1982. I prefer a good CFL game over most NFL contests. (Although Adrian Peterson is fun to watch).

I think you missed the point of my post.

There is no taxpayer money. Letting a student into a university doesn't cost the university anything, as long as there are empty spots available.

Besides, why would talented US players want to play in Canada anyways? Likely most scholarships would be offered to Canadians..

So we can all go to university for free?
I know enrolling in law school costs 10 000 a year some one has to pay that. I pay taxes and Im pretty sure some of it goes to universities.
If a American hasnt been offered a scholarship in the US and is in Canada do you think he will stay home and work at Jack in the box? Or will he take a free education?

This is crazy talk. There are a couple thousand Canadian kids on scholarships in US Colleges but we have issues with doing the same?

Second: Government does not subsidise International students. If the school offers to pick up their tuition. Government dosen't kick in a penny, Actually it saves taxpayers money.

Strange how we've gone from one of the most open minded country to one of the most intolerant...

The reason that law school costs $10,000 isn't because it costs the university $10,000 to educate you, it's because there's a lot of people willing to pay $10,000 to become a lawyer. The cost to the university of educating you is much lower.

In order to get a university degree, a person basically has to listen to some lectures, write some tests, do some essays... thats pretty much it. Tell me, if a professor is lecturing to 200 students, what is the added cost to putting one more student in the room? It's zero. Professors get paid per course, not per student. Likewise, most essays, assignments, and tests are graded by graduate students, who get paid per semester. Again, adding another test or essay to the stack costs the university nothing.

The law school example doesn't work so well because the spots in law school are so limited. But believe me, the programs that student athletes tend to major in have no such shortages.

Any kid in the states worth offering a scholarship to will likely get snapped up by some school in the states. Those American schools have way larger scouting budgets that any Canadian school, what makes you think the Canadian school could find someone the American schools have overlooked? Even if a couple make it, big deal. There'll most likely be way more Canadian kids who get a chance at an education and a future, who otherwise might not have had a shot.

dmont - exactly

A lot of people here really don't understand how the system actually works. They spout "keep it Canadian" or "don't Americanize our system" yet have no idea what the actual issue is. They won't take the time to actually research what it is they are fighting against.