CIS East vs West Bowl returns to London

[b]Some of the best young talent in Canadian university football will return to London for the eighth annual East-West Bowl.

It's the second year in a row TD Waterhouse will stage the showcase for university players and Canadian Football League coaches and scouts.

The six-day event is used as an evaluation tool for CFL teams and gives the participating players an opportunity to play against the best draft-eligible players in the country.

Western Mustangs coach Greg Marshall is a big believer in the game, even though last year it didn't draw.

"We didn't get as big a crowd as we thought we would get," he said. "I don't mind if we don't make money. I don't want to lose money doing it. When you look at the time and the resources we threw at it, it was pretty significant. But I really believe in the idea behind it for the players. I'm willing to do it because it's good for the kids across the country and for football."

Marshall said aside from the chance for players to get evaluated, the opportunity for coaches to get together is important.

"Through the year you say, 'Those coaches at Western,' or 'Those coaches at Laval,' but this way you get a chance to know them," Marshall said. "We don't have that many kids playing university football, but they are spread out over a large area. To get into a situation like this, is good for us."

Marshall also believes it's a good opportunity to highlight the university. While the crowd at the game might not have been big, everyone was satisfied with how the week was organized.

"Coaches came up to me and were appreciative of it and I had all the players came up to me and say, 'Coach, it was awesome this year. We were really treated well,' " Marshall said. "The student-athlete was really appreciative, which is why we are doing it again."

Pat Sheahan, head coach of the reigning Vanier Cup champion Queen's Gaels, will lead the East team, which will include players from the Quebec and Atlantic conferences, as well as from Queen's, Ottawa and Toronto.

Blake Nill, whose Calgary Dinos reached the CIS final last fall, will be head coach of the West squad, which will be comprised of players from the Canada West conference as well as Western, McMaster, Windsor, Laurier, Waterloo and York.

A committee of CIS head coaches selects the participants from a pool of players nominated by their schools. Every CIS football program is represented by three or four players, most of whom will be eligible for the draft the following year.

The game will be played Saturday, May 8, at 1 p.m.

Scouts and coaches will be testing players and there will be a variety of clinics available for local coaches and players throughout the week.

"Even though the kids here know where they are going to school, they go back and talk up the event," Marshall said. "Most of the kids in Ontario know we have a pretty good facility, but the word has gotten around at some of the other provinces that we have a great location here and great facilities."

East-West Bowl tickets

On sale soon; $15 for adults and $10 for students, youth and seniors. To place a hold on tickets, call 519-661-4077. Also on sale within the next 24 hours at www.westernmustangs.ca.

Morris Dalla Costa is a Free Press sports columnist.

morris.dallacosta@sunmedia.ca[/b]

It’s too bad that more people didn’t come out to last year’s game. After all these are the future stars of the CFL. I’m not sure the CFL exhibition game a few years back even sold out either. I’ve always thought London would make a good expansion city with the proper stadium…but I’m not sure anymore with the lack of support for Canadian football.

I hate to be a rain cloud on this though…I think it will be an amazing game. It’s exactly what the CIS needs to do more of.

London has the Knights and isn't really a big football town. The Mustangs don't draw too bad I don't think but Western is not Laval in terms of support. Unfortunate, nice stadium in a nice location on campus but I think that while there are a group that would like the CFL in that city, there is no buzz talk from any investors for a team or to expand the stadium at all. More people in London probably travel to see football in Detroit with the Lions, Spartans and Wolverines or to Buffalo to see the Bills I'm thinking.

This is a very positive event for Canadian Football, Regardless of the negative post,s . BTW Anyone have a link on % of Londoners traveling to the states to watch football? what it has to do with this thread ?? nothing absolutely nothing, Another good Canadian football story knocked down by the NFL lobby :thdn: This is a Canadian University all star football game, something many on this forum have been wanting ! more development for Canadian players and coaches :thup:

I'm from London Mass and I can tell you that while it is shifting a bit towards more respect for Canadian football from Londoners, at least from my family there, my brother now has seasons tickets for the Stangs when at one time there was no way, you ask the majority of Londoners about football and believe me, it is all about the NFL and NCAA. I don't want that but just the way it is from what I can see. The Knights would probably take precedence over a CFL team for a few reasons, no. 1 is that the JLC is a very classy arena and a CFL stadium in London would have to be at least as classy as the JLC for respect.

Now a real decent CFL stadium in London with lounges in it and that and nice boxes etc. well, that's a different story. Hamilton can get by with Ivor Wynne, up until this point, but London is a bit more elite city than Hamilton IMHO now that they have a first class hockey arena that the city is in love with. JLC is nicer than Copps and they pack it 9,000 every game.

I will say Hamilton beats London as place to live though, more natural amenities in the escarpment for hiking and lake front and bay fronts. And of course we have a CFL team and London doesn't, the Cats could play in a decrepit hole and that's fine by me. London just has the CIS which is great but as a result don't have a team to vie for Lord Grey's Cup. Bad. Hamilton is also closer to Toronto for quicker day excursions.

If Hamilton had a 7000=13000 seat arena that was packed for the OHL, wow, that would be awesome. I'm no AHL fan and especially when there is 3000 in a 17,500 arena, total disconnect and I don't go to Bulldogs games as a result. Who cares about the Calder Cup, I don't. But Hamilton is getting an NHL team, that's why they built Copps. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's the joke part of Hamilton, hockey.

Well, i'll be getting my tickets for the East West Bowl in the next week or so. Hopefully more people come to the game this year, last year was a pretty sad sight. :thdn:

If Londoners want to see the city...

A.) Host a Vanier Cup
B.) Get another Ti-Cats Preseason game
C.) Get a CFL franchise

...the best way to help the cause is to pack TD Waterhouse for both the East West Bowl and Mustangs games. Just sitting at home and stewing about not having a CFL team won't get us anywhere.

Will be there with 4 others - This will be a great kickoff to the football season :thup: Anyone else from Ontario Going?

I should see if my brother is going and take it in, CIS is great football no question and getting better all the time. :thup:

This will be a competitive game with the BEST University players in Canada, Definitely Pro level football :thup:

Posting this in the CFL forum because many of the players involved in this game will be future CFL stars_ CIS East vs West Bowl returns to London
by JJSA » 14 Feb, 2010 - 19:55

Some of the best young talent in Canadian university football will return to London for the eighth annual East-West Bowl.

It's the second year in a row TD Waterhouse will stage the showcase for university players and Canadian Football League coaches and scouts.

The six-day event is used as an evaluation tool for CFL teams and gives the participating players an opportunity to play against the best draft-eligible players in the country.

Western Mustangs coach Greg Marshall is a big believer in the game, even though last year it didn't draw.

"We didn't get as big a crowd as we thought we would get," he said. "I don't mind if we don't make money. I don't want to lose money doing it. When you look at the time and the resources we threw at it, it was pretty significant. But I really believe in the idea behind it for the players. I'm willing to do it because it's good for the kids across the country and for football."

Marshall said aside from the chance for players to get evaluated, the opportunity for coaches to get together is important.

"Through the year you say, 'Those coaches at Western,' or 'Those coaches at Laval,' but this way you get a chance to know them," Marshall said. "We don't have that many kids playing university football, but they are spread out over a large area. To get into a situation like this, is good for us."

Marshall also believes it's a good opportunity to highlight the university. While the crowd at the game might not have been big, everyone was satisfied with how the week was organized.

"Coaches came up to me and were appreciative of it and I had all the players came up to me and say, 'Coach, it was awesome this year. We were really treated well,' " Marshall said. "The student-athlete was really appreciative, which is why we are doing it again."

Pat Sheahan, head coach of the reigning Vanier Cup champion Queen's Gaels, will lead the East team, which will include players from the Quebec and Atlantic conferences, as well as from Queen's, Ottawa and Toronto.

Blake Nill, whose Calgary Dinos reached the CIS final last fall, will be head coach of the West squad, which will be comprised of players from the Canada West conference as well as Western, McMaster, Windsor, Laurier, Waterloo and York.

A committee of CIS head coaches selects the participants from a pool of players nominated by their schools. Every CIS football program is represented by three or four players, most of whom will be eligible for the draft the following year.

The game will be played Saturday, May 8, at 1 p.m.

Scouts and coaches will be testing players and there will be a variety of clinics available for local coaches and players throughout the week.

"Even though the kids here know where they are going to school, they go back and talk up the event," Marshall said. "Most of the kids in Ontario know we have a pretty good facility, but the word has gotten around at some of the other provinces that we have a great location here and great facilities."

East-West Bowl tickets

On sale soon; $15 for adults and $10 for students, youth and seniors. To place a hold on tickets, call 519-661-4077. Also on sale within the next 24 hours at www.westernmustangs.ca.

Morris Dalla Costa is a Free Press sports columnist.

morris.dallacosta@sunmedia.ca

I live in London and I've never even heard of this event.
If I did I would have gone.
The article doesn't even state when it is.
Talk about great advertising eh?

And I see they have student ticket prices.
Why I don't know?
Becuase whenever I've gone to a Mustangs football game, the regular fans section is always packed,
while the students section was basically empty.
Seems to me CIS students across Canada are basically apathetic when it comes to supporting their teams.

Scuse me.
I saw the date. May 8th.

Ya may 8th___ and its going to be a Tier 1 Canadian University football game_ :thup: who,s going :rockin:

It should be a great game! I used to watch University football quite often in the early 80s. I saw many really good games.

Since we are on the topic of shameless Canadian football promotion....I have made an event page on facebook for the East-West Bowl. If you are going, confirm that you're going and invite all your friends to the game too. Let's get as many Londoners to this game as we can! :thup:

I think I might do some light tailgating at the game. :cowboy:

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=326846801624&ref=mf]http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 624&ref=mf[/url]

I have made an event page on facebook for the East-West Bowl. If you are going, confirm that you’re going and invite all your friends to the game too. Let’s get as many Londoners to this game as we can! :thup:

I think i’ll do some light tailgating before the game aswell! :cowboy:

[url=http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=326846801624&ref=mf]http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 624&ref=mf[/url]

Nothing shameless about it. This is one of the biggest events of the year for both the CIS and the CFL. I just wish some network would see the potential of it and broadcast it. I hope this year it will be available on-line at least.

i too had never heard of this event.
i look forward to going this year!

( JJSA - yet another londoner ...im starting to suspect London has the most CFL support of all non-CFL cities.)

Mmmm, Saskatoon is probably close.