Chris Matthews Watch:

Former Bombers Receiver Chris Matthews is going to get cut by SEA on the 30th of this month and if he clears waivers ( which doesn’t seem 100%), It’s said the RedBlacks will be going after him.

@ArashMadani

Next on Ottawa’s radar: Chris Matthews, the former #Bombers receiver, now holding on in Seattle. The #RedBlacks have cap room to spend. #CFL

RedBlacks will have the most money, but will it be enough to land a #1 WR this time?

If Calgary doesn’t land Gordon somehow, you would have to think they would have interest? What about the Bombers? I know they signed Moore, but do they still kick the tires on him?

Should be a interesting story the next couple days or so…

As expected Chris Matthews has indeed been released by Seattle.

Another surprising cut is receiver Bryan Walters, who was with the Seahawks last season and was trying to earn a roster spot in 2014 as Seattle’s top punt returner. He was waved along with fellow receivers Arceto Clark and Chris Matthews.
[url=http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014/08/30/seattle-seahawks-cut-squad-down-to-final-53-man-roster/]http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014 ... an-roster/[/url]

If he doesn’t get claimed off NFL waivers, i am guessing teams will be lining up for his services.

Considering he had multiple offers in the NFL, and elected to got the hardest route (Seahawks), I would be pretty shocked if he was not snagged up somewhere. Even if he clears waivers he would likely be smart waited 2 weeks for an injury somewhere.

FYI, he was signed by the Seahawks and is on their PR.

Not any more:

Tim Baines?@TimCBaines·9 mins Seattle Seahawks have released WR Chris Matthews from practice squad. If he is looking at #CFL, look for #RedBlacks to be all over him.
CFL News ?@CFL_News·now .@PaulWiecek says #Bombers will be interested in WR Chris Matthews' services, as well as #RedBlacks, who are in dire need of WR help. #CFL
Considering he had multiple offers in the NFL, and elected to got the hardest route (Seahawks), I would be pretty shocked if he was not snagged up somewhere. Even if he clears waivers he would likely be smart waited 2 weeks for an injury somewhere.
I'm not sure I agree the Seahawks were the hardest route. Of their top 4 receivers, Tate left for the Lions, they managed to resign Baldwin, and Harvin hasn't played a full season in several years. Two of the guys who made the roster are rookies. So there was an opening and he couldn't capitalize on his main asset that is lacking from Seahaks receiver group and that's his size. After the OTAs, a number of Seahawks writers liked his chances to make the team based on what he showed in his ability to use the size. He just couldn't keep it going through training camp and preseason and lost out.

The Bombers and Redblacks seem to be the likely frontrunners for his services. I’ve heard that Walters had a bit of a handshake agreement with him to return if his NFL aspirations didn’t work out. I’d throw in a darkhorse candidate in the Argos who may kick the tires. Everyone talks about how bad the Redblacks receivers have been but with Owens and Durie missing most of the season the rest of the group has been terrible for Ray. Even his buddy Jason Barnes inexplicably batted down a pass in Hamilton in the LDC instead of catching it. Chiles, before he got hurt, wasn’t nearly as good as he was last year.

gary lawless@garylawless · 28m

being told Chris Matthews is not ready to return to #cfl yet. Agent will try to shop him to other #nfl teams before considering Canada

oh…and he is still on their PR today

Still early in the practice roster shuffling. Being on the brink being released final cuts and initially signed to a PR he likely will get some offers.
If for nothing else to be a scout teamer to mimic other clubs big receivers and would likely come for the minimum PR rate.
In case he does not land anywhere Ottawa should have an offer on the table. Again being in shape and also already being a 1,000 yard receiver his rookie year. I believe he did play the Boundry WR spot in Winnipeg which is exactly what Ottawa needs being the missing boundry deep threat.
So he does fit an immediate need for Ottawa

a return to the CFL does not look promising…at least anytime soon…

[b]CFL News @CFL_News · 12m Agent for former #Bombers receiver Chris Matthews. "He's not coming up there. He's staying in the NFL." #CFL via @garylawless[/b]