Chris Jones

Maybe Sherman is working pro bono.

I read somewhere that most teams have 10 or 11 coaches on staff. Riders have 15. Is that true?

Sherman wouldn’t have hauled himself up to Canada for less than $300k (U.S.) with a force-pair 3 yr guarantee

Chris Jones took a 10% cut…so about 505

Popp was I think 500k…likely reduced now

No. Really depends how you break it down…some teams shuffle names to different allocations.

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/index.php?topic=106275.msg2219344#msg2219344][i][b]Quote from: Taleback[/b][/i][/url][i][b] on [/b][/i][i][b]Thu Nov 15 2018 11:02:23 GMT-0600 (Canada Central Standard Time)[/b][/i] Calgary Coaches = 10, Front Office = 8, Medical =13, Equipment = 4 Video = 3 Total Admin Staff = 38.

Sask Coaches = 13, Front office = 6 Medical = 9, Equipment = 2, Video = 5 Total Admin Staff = 35.

I saw a list somewhere maybe a month ago, and I believe there were 3 teams with more than the Riders (including Montreal…which kind of surprised me).

I have learned that there are certain conditioning and training staffers that will not be included in the numbers…rather glad to here that the CFL sees how important these are…I know some are blind top it.

Good job, Lyle, that listing seems very accurate!

The only surprising salary is for O. Steinhauer, who was earning US$350k at Fresno State. In his one year there, he helped engineer one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history, being a finalist for the NCAA Assistant Coach of the Year award. He seemed to have a very bright future in the NCAA. I had thought the Ticats would have to sweeten the pot to lure him back to CFL, although he did say in an interview at Fresno, “I love that league. I still follow the Tiger-Cats. … And from a distance it was not good."

??? These numbers are no where near reality. 75% of these are out by 15% or more.

On the Riders Coaching staff cuts

The impact of the CFL’s football-operations salary cap has already been felt at the management level. John Murphy, the Riders’ assistant vice-president of football operations and player personnel, reportedly parted ways with the Green and White rather than accept a 10-per-cent pay cut.

Jones said that five or six other members of the staff were also laid off as the Riders worked to meet the football-operations cap of $2.58 million. Jones added that members of the staff, including himself, were expected to take pay cuts of 10 per cent.
Under the new initiatives, teams are limited to 11 coaches and 14 other football-operations positions.
That may not be a hardship for some teams, which were already working with a smaller staff. Jones, however, had one of the league’s largest coaching staffs.
Cutting it down and working with smaller numbers will be an adjustment that Jones will have to make to be successful in 2019.

Orlando picked quality of life or job position (or a combination of both) over salary.

When you factor that you have to send your kids to private school in the US to get them a decent education, cost of housing in California, he probably was no further ahead.

Also proves that the new Salary Cap on football ops will have no impact. Same with Chris Jones. Does anyone here think giving him back his 10 percent would have him turn down a promotion in the NFL?

Back to the topic of the thread

"In a year were teams may go to lengths and look in unique directions for a head coach, keep an eye on Jones," La Candora tweeted. "At least two NFL teams have done extensive research on the highly successful coach who has four Grey Cup rings with four teams." -Jason La Canfora

Jones could be the first voluntary victim of the coaching cap.

I highly doubt that any NFL GM would risk hiring a CFL guy to be their HC after the mess that Trestman made down there. That could be a career killer for a GM. And Jones has proven nothing coaching in the US in any capacity.

What I could see is Jones be looked at seriously as a DC down there.

I suspect though that Jones could get his foot in the American doors by becoming a HC with a team in the either of the new leagues should they get off the ground. That might be cap related and coincide with his CFL contract expiration.

If he were to get a HC NFL job it would not be cap related. It would be the massive pay grade increase.

He is a longshot but all it takes is for one owner to really take to him. Also Jones is a caricature of the typical old school good old boy football coach…

Hahaha. Yeah that’s so true hey. He is that for sure and he is a truthful guy who really grows on you.

I couldn’t stand him at first but I really like and respect him now.

You're missing Sherman.

Maybe Sherman is working pro bono.

No, he’s still trying to get headset loose from his shirt, cheers.