The Jovon Johnson move was mainly due to the loss of Cox...that was a big loss and they needed some experience in there JIC. Their 3 guys who seemed to be primarily in the running for it in camp all also got injured late...I would suspect to see one or two of them back at some point. I would think a lot of people expected them to be scouring cuts to pick someone up....which they did.
Allen was clearly never going to be on the team...not a fan of the 'reason' they cut him...is blocking was spot on and they stated that was their primary thing they look at with RB. but again...he was only brought into camp after 2 RBs were laid up.
You don't know how those camps will turn out but last year in them they found some who never made it to camp because they were still chasing some NFL avenues...but some who did make it down included:
- Sam Eguavoen...who was playing exceedingly well prior to injury...good enough that he displace Knox who is now in the NFL
- Cox...he was looking very very good last season...dirtbag legal troubles ended that
- Joe McKnight was found in camp but not available until much later...he seemed like an amazing find...obviously his time came to a sad end much too soon.
- Caleb Holley....who I believe any team would take
- Armanti Edwards...TBH I am not sure if he was neg listed or from tryouts...i think tryouts...either way, Argos got a gooder there
There are a few good players...I consider that fairly good...not mind blowing returns, but fairly good. Where they missed was RB and OT....normally areas of strength for Murphy....so disappointing...I think Murphy showed well in the OL selections in this draft...which is more what has been come to be expected from him. I would expect these camps to show better return as time goes on and 2 things happen...1 is they have flipped the roster moving forward and 2 is that they have seen their negotiation list pretty much cycle (a few standouts and of course QBs aside)
my early guy believes there is something special in Moncrief from this years camps. They also have a couple DEs in Tull and Antigha that are promising but I won't say a bunch on until they get some more legit reps.
Is that worth it? IMO if you find a gem or 2 it is....they seemed to have found a few good players doing it.