Chris Berman and the CFL

He seem to like it just fine.

As usual he showed Grey Cup highlights during the halftime of Monday Night Football during the "Fastest Three Minutes" segment in which they usually show highlights of a few NFL games the previous Sunday.

He showed Smart's TD, the big fumble on the goal line, and the Mounties bringing in the Grey Cup as well as the B.C. Lions hoisting it in victory.

Last week he showed the East and West finals from the CFL.

No mention of a "dreadful" season or a "bad" Grey Cup game. It seems part of being Canadian is perpetuating our famed inferiority complex. Go figure.

Chris Berman knows more about football, period, than every Canadian sports writer all together. He is someone who could see a defensively dominated game and really appreciate it. You have to remember that there are only probably a handful of writers in this country who really understand football and especially the nuances of Canadian football since they are occupied most of the time with hockey or whatever. It’s like a cousin of mine who writes for a university, he says he doesn’t “get” football but he “gets” baseball first and foremost. Now he’s not the brightest wick in the world I’ll admit and a bit slow and a bit on the feminine side, so I suppose baseball is a game that would cater to him more naturally.

Earl, what's with the gender stereotyping about sports? Since when does "getting" baseball equate to being feminine? I may be old and outdated in many ways, but even I understand that this kind of thing isn't a fit in the 21st century.

True enough stevehvh, my cousin really bugged me with some recent conversations I had with him and he lives in Toronto and myself in Hamilton so I feel like venting and bashing him. You are right, my apologies.

(I hope with this post, though, I don't have to edit my first post? :wink: )

Not to worry. Have a good one.

Our sports writers were writing the truth, why sugar coat it. We have been spoiled over the past few years, this year was dreadful and the Grey Cup wasn't very good!!!

Let's learn from this season and learn from the NFL - change some of the rules so we don't turn into a boring defensive league.

• relax the blocking rules on kicks and punts
  • eliminate the bump and go on receviers downfield
  • use the same football as the NFL

Does he prefer pitching or catching?

I still really enjoyed this years Grey Cup. That being said, I agree with your points mike. And forget the white stripes, the CFL logo with the stripes is fine even if the ball has no stripes, NCAA ball has half-stripes and their logo doesn't show any so who cares, just showing respect of the past. And the CFL ball didn't have stripes at one time anyway.

But I'd like to see the posts at the end of the end zone also, this will make for easier passing lanes in the end zone for qb's.

Huh?

Since when does the NFL change its rules?

It’s the most conservative pro spoarts league out there, and understandably so considering it’s such a juggernaut of a business.

The stripes issue is not whether or not have them, but rather should they be stitiched into the ball (as they were this year to the complaints of some QBs) or have them painted on as they used to be.

But I'd like to see the posts at the end of the end zone also, this will make for easier passing lanes in the end zone for qb's.
With 20 yard endzones? Absolutely not!

This would Americanize the game way too much. Most missed field goals would be kicked out of the back of the endzones eliminating virtually all returns.

Furthermore, how do you line up for a convert? Are converts now going to be 32 yard kicks if you scrimmage the ball from the 5? You have to keep in mind the possibility of running the two point convert play, whether it's from a conventional formation or a fake field goal.

There would be less scoring since it would be more difficult to establish field goal field postion and punting would increase dramatically.

No way.

Well, to be honest, I haven't thought enough about the posts I'll admit. Just thinking about give the qb's a chance to see things better but there is much more to it than this for sure.

The stripes? If the qb's don't like them, stitched or painted, then why not remove them. I don't see this as a big deal since we never had them at one time anyway.

Why is it that people cant appreciate stuff that is Canadian unless somebody south of the border says that it is good ?? While i think its great that Berman recognized the Grey Cup I certainly dont feel the need to feel better about it because Chris showed some highlights thats for sure .

I read many columns in papers across Canada on football by sports writers and they explain things just fine thank you !!!!

Obviously Earl hasnt stood in the batters box with a 95 MPH fastball around his chin has he ???

What he said.

The US is a nice country, but I don’t need their citizens to tell me what I have is nice.

Nice to see Chris Berman give another plug for the CFL. He's in the forefront of American sports journalists for giving props to the Canadian game, along with ESPN analyst Sean Salisbury whenever he fields a question on the issue (given his days as a Bomber).

Oski Wee Wee,

Because in this one specific case the Canadian media has for the most part slammed the game and the 2006 season.

Furthermore, it's not Berman's nationality that lends credibilty, but rather his football acumen which some Canadian sports writers seem to lack.

...I certainly dont feel the need to feel better about it because Chris showed some highlights that`s for sure .
Why would anyone "need to feel better" because of that? I don't understand your point.
I read many columns in papers across Canada on football by sports writers and they explain things just fine thank you !!!!
Honestly, what have you read the past few days? It's been mostly negative. I, for one, don't agree with most of what's been written the last couple of days. Do you agree with most of it? Seems as if the renowned Canadian inferiority complex is alive and well in the Canadian sports media re: the CFL in 2006.

You mean like Matt Dunigan (TSN), Darren Flutie (CBC), Daved Benefield (The Score) and Khari Jones(CBC)?

Nationality has nothing to do with it. I's all about football knowledge.