Chief's linebacker, aged 25 killed girlfriend

KC Chief's linebacker Jovan Belcher, aged 25, shot his 22year old girlfriend then shot himself in the head( Dec 1 2012 ) in front of the GM and Coach Crennel. He was having a history of immense anger and, did the killing while suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is the degenerative brain disease found in athletes and others with a history of repetitive brain injuries. This tragedy happening in the brain of Belcher was with a man of only 25 years- pretty early for CTE.
The USA has been able to put men on the moon. With all this scientific abilities, it time for the scientists to develop a football helmet that will lessen the trauma of athletes in contact sports.
To any fathers of boys, better not let them play football. A 25 year old young man with CTE- this is a dangerous illness for all our young athletes.

Not all players suffer from repetitive brain injuries, but it is unfortunately true that those who do often live shortened, tormented lives. Having suffered from one myself I have often wondered if it changed me in ways I'm not even aware of. After all, your brain is you. If it changes, you change, and there is demonstrable change in the brains of those with serious head injuries.

Helmet technology is constantly changing, and most (?) players now wear the newest helmets. It will take years for the results of these new helms to be shown statistically, however.

You are saying helmet technology has not improved? c'mon, you can't be serious. This stuff is just getting media coverage now, it rarely did in the past.

Not let play? Why is that? Take the time to observe practice and see if the first thing your kid is learning is how to take a hit and give a hit, if not, yank them. That is 75% of the battle. If you feel your child has had a head injury, it is time to step in and be a parent and make decisions for them on playing.

If you ask me, there is no helmet possible, now or in the future, that will stop a brain injury. When these guys are getting hit with the impact of that compared to a car accident, a helmet is not going to stop the brain from bouncing around in your skull. Just my 2 cents…

This is right. The helmet protects the skull. The brain gets smashed around inside the skull. No help there.

Last night, on PBS, they replayed, "League In Denial". It's stomach churning stuff. If anyone has not seen it, I highly recommend watching the next time it's on.

Agree 100%.

Helmets prevent blunt force trauma and have the side benifit of reducing the effect of sudden g-force shifting...it will never eliminate it.

A helmet cannot stop the sudden deceleration of the head (and the differential slowing of the brain that goes with it) that is the root of many severe concussions and similar brain and neck injuries in football. Look at what they've done in auto-racing to control head movement in crashes - even that has its limits and can't be applied to someone running around on a field.

That said, there may be some radical steps - like moving away from rigid, hard-shell helmets and reducing helmet weight to a minimum.

Look guys, the USA has the worlds best research abilities, tons of money and is football crazy. It important never to say never on its research facilities. Given all this, they just might improve helmets if attended to the task. Any intelligent well read father should not permit his children to play football. If you research pbs.org, there are other productions equaling the premier" League of Denial "pointing out the trials and risks of young guys playing football.Now that we know young males are putting themselves at real risk, it would take a foolish unread parent to put his child at such risk.

That's what gives football that "radical sport" flair though with the real threat of injury and that is why, I think, a lot of people love watching the game, you love watching those big hits and a guy getting levelled, just like people like watching the downhill skiing and a skier taking to the limit and sometimes crashing, car races the same, UFC etc. Others like watching basketball though, for example, or volleyball or baseball, quite different sports, for different reasons where you don't get that "radical" aspect to the game. Some people like watching all sorts of different sports though.

But I can see where a lot of parents might not want their kids to play football or hockey, or downhill skiing for that matter.

Look guys, the USA has the worlds best research abilities, tons of money and is football crazy. It important never to say never on its research facilities. Given all this, they just might improve helmets if attended to the task. Any intelligent well read father should not permit his children to play football. If you research pbs.org, there are other productions equaling the premier" League of Denial "pointing out the trials and risks of young guys playing football.Now that we know young males are putting themselves at real risk, it would take a foolish unread parent to allow his child to play football.

So football has just become the military.. The poor will continue to put their kids in the sport as the only way possible to afford them a decent education. With the way things are going in the US, I predict that there will be no shortage of players lining up to get brain damage if it means a better future for them.

I've said this about hockey, and it applies to football too... we teach kids the fundamentals of the game, except for one thing... in hockey, its how to receive, and give a bodycheck... for football, its basically the same thing, but it should apply to tackling as well... not only in getting tackled, but how to give one too... it wont prevent all helmet to helmet hits (the NFL gives way more latitude in that area than the CFL does), but teaching kids how should be done early...it may just cut down on the number of head injuries we have seen over the last few years.

Some come by it naturally, as in your case.... :roll: :roll:

Oh haha you are so quick witted there sambo.. You must really think that you are original or something.. Hey.. ill do a smiley like you as well to be funny too :lol: :lol:

No, your post will speak for itself...

Back at you.. No repeatseas allowed infinity. Nananana phoo phoo..

Most of the "poor" Put their kids in said sports to keep them out of trouble

…and then one of them shoots his girlfriend and himself. :cry:

Ironic.

Or knocks his girlfriend out in an elevator, or beats his kid with a tree branch,or head butts his girlfriend in the face and then slaps his lawyer on the ass and then goes and works for free only to destroy what little legacy and pride he has left by catchinh half a pass a game..etc

I am certainly not justifying their behaviour but you are talking about Alpha Males (to an extreme) who are (likely) taking steroids and suffering from concussion issues. Add it up and it is a recipe for disaster.